collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Shank Idea  (Read 4168 times)

Offline merkaba93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: New Shank Idea
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 10:39:49 AM »
That dish looks and sounds great. I'm going to try this all sous vide for about 18-24 hours without the deep frying and see how it comes out. I've got a smoked shoyu that'll work great. Maybe sub the bourbon syrup for the sugar and see what happens. I use it to make the dipping sauce and it's great.

I use this recipe with pork ribs a lot of times. And instead of frying I just use the grill (in the summer). And use a bit different sauce for them. Your ideas sound great.
Haven't sous vide shank yet. Sound be great.

I know you know this, but in case others are reading this....watch for sharp edges of the bone, will end up with poached shank. Haha.

Good reminder. I poached a nice rack of lamb because of this a few weeks ago. Luckily, I caught it early. The racks from COSTCO are great but they're machine cut and often leave a bone fragment on one end. Now I know enough to cut them off before bagging.

Ha, I'm sous vid(ing) {can we use it as a verb, I have no idea} rack of lamb tomorrow. Sometimes, I wrap the end bones with a bit of paper towel, if I'm sous vid(ing) rack of venison. It gets super bloody, but helps if you missed any sharp bones.
Be Better than Cream of Mushroom Soup

Offline KillerBeee

• Tuna Meister
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 05:00:56 PM »
This is all too cool and what the forums should be, in terms of interaction and friendship building. Share the love for the art and express creative ideas. Awesome!

I've done the sous vide shank several times so far, albeit without bone in thus far. This year, I have saved shanks with bone in and need to cut them in rounds to cook. I did the first batch at 155 degrees for about 48 hours after browning and sauteing all ingredients. Took it out of the bags and put all cooking liquids and solids into a vita mix blender for a velvet sauce. Brown the meat for 5-10 mins or less under the broiler and create a lemon zest and Italian parsley, olive oil, and salt gremoulata to top. I also did a batch, or let me say that my buddy did a batch of Osso Buco from a Steve Rinella recipe that had Garam Masala and other Indian spices. It was excellent as well.
    This whole interaction has made my day and I hope everyone has a great Christmas season.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:29:33 AM by KillerBeee »

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »
Well said. :tup: I love cooking all kinds of wild game and fish numerous ways, but merk always takes it to a level beyond even my vocabulary and his food pics are downright mean :chuckle:

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 06:40:46 AM »
Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies and I really enjoy the creative ideas you all post up. For me it’s all full circle... it starts with loading my own ammo and culminates with creations in the kitchen or in the wall tent.   :tup:
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 10:28:53 AM »
I have done lamb and pork shanks for 165/18h and then finished in the oven to set the sauce.... Love them every time.  I am going to try your prep on some pasture-raised pork shanks I have.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]