collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Colville Rez Buck.  (Read 16344 times)

Offline chukardogs

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
Re: Colville Rez Buck.
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2018, 10:09:04 AM »
Spent the last 50 years or more running around in that country. Don't get me wrong, that is an awesome animal, but not all that unusual for that country. Have seen one very similar and a couple pretty close to it during the 90s in October and early November on what is considered the north half. Even with the deer population being what it is now, those older bucks that can actually get to that 6/7 year old get really smart and really nocturnal. Once a buck gets to that age, he's big enough and tough enough to make predators think twice, that's "if" they actually ever see him.
 If things haven't changed over the years, there is one place on the rez for sure where you can find a deer that has had the opportunity to get that old. Don't quote me on the specifics here, but I've heard Whitmore Mountain in the Southern Central portion of the rez is closed to hunting for up to 8 years at a time. Because of this, the bucks in this area could get the chance to be 8, 9, 10 years old. That "Rez buck" based on that mass, has got to be an 8 year old or older deer. Because we're right in the middle of the Mule deer rut, those bucks will roam 10-15 miles and then even if Whitmore is closed, he could end up down along the river, thus not too far of the highway through that area.
 If you ever want to photograph or just see big mature Mule deer during the rut, there is a road that goes up the west side of Whitmore Mountain. It's worth the trip just to see what the country is actually capable of producing.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2018, 10:46:29 AM »
@Boneaddict your last couple posts pretty much summed up a successful management plan that's being operated by the Colvilles.

It would be nice if a similar structure were in place somewhere else for the good of the species for future generations to enjoy.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2018, 11:28:07 AM »
Thanks Plat. I agree ☝️

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2018, 11:38:23 AM »
Some monsters on this thread and some good talk about ungulate management, great thread and some amazing bucks!!!

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2018, 11:47:42 AM »
That mass monster is what I hope to hang on the wall one day.  Amazing animal.  Thanks for sharing.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2018, 05:06:12 PM »
@Boneaddict your last couple posts pretty much summed up a successful management plan that's being operated by the Colvilles.

It would be nice if a similar structure were in place somewhere else for the good of the species for future generations to enjoy.

:yeah:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2018, 05:43:59 PM »
Spent the last 50 years or more running around in that country. Don't get me wrong, that is an awesome animal, but not all that unusual for that country. Have seen one very similar and a couple pretty close to it during the 90s in October and early November on what is considered the north half. Even with the deer population being what it is now, those older bucks that can actually get to that 6/7 year old get really smart and really nocturnal. Once a buck gets to that age, he's big enough and tough enough to make predators think twice, that's "if" they actually ever see him.
 If things haven't changed over the years, there is one place on the rez for sure where you can find a deer that has had the opportunity to get that old. Don't quote me on the specifics here, but I've heard Whitmore Mountain in the Southern Central portion of the rez is closed to hunting for up to 8 years at a time. Because of this, the bucks in this area could get the chance to be 8, 9, 10 years old. That "Rez buck" based on that mass, has got to be an 8 year old or older deer. Because we're right in the middle of the Mule deer rut, those bucks will roam 10-15 miles and then even if Whitmore is closed, he could end up down along the river, thus not too far of the highway through that area.
 If you ever want to photograph or just see big mature Mule deer during the rut, there is a road that goes up the west side of Whitmore Mountain. It's worth the trip just to see what the country is actually capable of producing.

I dont know where you got your info, but you're absolutely wrong. You should drive up to the Whitmore Mtn area via the road you mentioned and report back how many animals you saw besides wild horses. Also take some pics of the foragable foods you see, because even the sage up there has been trimmed by the horses. Lastly, Whitmore Mtn has always been open to tribal hunting from June/July to the end of Nov/Dec varying on species. Til Dec 31 these days.

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2018, 06:27:04 PM »
First of all, their herd numbers are way down as well, but as testament to papa :yeah:  they look to be responding.  They are aggressive at predator management(hounds).   They have reasonable harvest limits and reporting of harvest.    Real game management.  They brought in elk that thrive in that terrain.  They manage them as a sustainable way to feed their people.   They self regulate, meaning they go after abuse unlike others....  Trying not to be political....   They have the terrain and escapement.   They also manage their forests.   I think they have gotten a little greedy in some places, which has negatively impacted their herds in localized spots, but in reality, they have avoided catastrophic fires, and it doesnt take long for the feed and brush to actually help game.   Their forests are 10x healthier than off rez.  The genetics are there, and the hunting pressure is relatively low.   I suppose thats the short version.  Some shout outs to game management.  They transplanted sheep into country that can sustain them.   They are doing well!   They brought in elk, they are doing beyond well, and now they have brought in Antelope.  Fingers crossed.

Wolves are severely impacting their herds.  I'm looking forward to their response.

I truly appreciate your post, thank you!
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline Wunderlich33

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • You sure you know how to skin Griz?
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2018, 09:54:03 AM »
Great thread and great management...

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »
If you guys are on social media i.e. facebook or instagram you should Follow the RBBP page... Rez Bucks Bulls and Predators. Its mostly just monster critters taken from the Colville Rez.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2018, 11:24:36 AM »
 :yike:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline chukardogs

• Hunter
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2018, 07:54:17 PM »
Wow, my bad! I heard that story about Whitmore mountain being closed for a few years and then being opened for one or two and then closed again for a few at least 30 plus years ago. Believed it was true back then because I spent most of the late 80s and early 90s running around that area on horseback and fishing the lakes and the river in that area. Two of the biggest bucks I've seen on the hoof were standing on the road above the Columbia river. I've seen some racks hanging in local barn rafters around there that would make your eyes bug out. I was told that most of them were taken from the Whitmore Mt. area. The horses being out there on the loose isn't anything new as far as that goes. I've seen horses up on the north half also that have been let loose and eventually end up just becoming part of the landscape. If there are so many they're destroying the feed for the deer herd in the winter, that's too bad.
 My point was, that area can, has and probably still does produce some really big animals. If a buck can find a place to stay out of the hunters eye for a few years, they end up getting really smart and really nocturnal. Once this happens, the only chance at them is during the rut when they just don't care or ya just get lucky.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2018, 10:53:27 PM »
Incredible buck.  It makes me wonder though why the colville res keeps pumping out monsters even when the rest of the state is so far down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and some of those you see are not shot on the rez just in 101. When you can drive around with a rifle for months thru the peak of rut  :rolleyes:

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2018, 11:57:17 PM »
Incredible buck.  It makes me wonder though why the colville res keeps pumping out monsters even when the rest of the state is so far down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sound management practices. The Colville boys play by the rules unlike other tribes around the West.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2018, 12:01:05 AM »
 Shows what managing for quality vs quantity produces.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal