collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Western Washington grouse  (Read 8826 times)

Offline trapperguy22

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Western Washington grouse
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 07:16:31 AM »
This one of the better years I can remember. I shot 15 I think my buddy is at 14 I had several days where I saw over 10. Friends of mine had a day when they saw 34. Most of this hunting was in sept. And oct. and it was all on Weyerhaeuser property.j have not been out since Halloween i might try it tomorrow.

Offline joe_dumy

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 10:23:45 AM »
Good year for ruffs for me. Seems like they have returned to the covers i hunt.

Offline kisfish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 10:34:50 AM »
I live in Pacific county and we saw more grouse this year than any other year. I have only lived here 8 years but they were everywhere this year. I saw a ton during archery and should have put a junky arrow in my quiver. I started wacking them while picking mushrooms. Nothing as good as grouse and fresh mushrooms.

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 09:23:59 AM »
I live in Pacific county and we saw more grouse this year than any other year. I have only lived here 8 years but they were everywhere this year. I saw a ton during archery and should have put a junky arrow in my quiver. I started wacking them while picking mushrooms. Nothing as good as grouse and fresh mushrooms.

Amen!!! I love me some shrooms and grouse. I have seen quite a few this year and its my first year hunting them. Put some boot leather to the ground and get off the beaten path to find them
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 05:16:52 PM »

One of the coolest sounds of the woods, a Guy can really work up a sweat both "Drumming" or Sneaking Up on a Guy Drumming.  :IBCOOL:
Doug
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline IslandStorm62

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 10:40:59 AM »
How do you hunt grouse? Is this all about walking Forest Roads until an opportunity comes up? Or, are there specific areas / foilage, terrain to focus on?

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 11:49:52 AM »

One of the coolest sounds of the woods, a Guy can really work up a sweat both "Drumming" or Sneaking Up on a Guy Drumming.  :IBCOOL:
Doug
Always wondered how they survive drumming season. Seems like every predator in the area would key in on an easy meal.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 11:55:21 AM »
How do you hunt grouse? Is this all about walking Forest Roads until an opportunity comes up? Or, are there specific areas / foilage, terrain to focus on?

Roads are trails are the easiest way for me, you can cover more ground that bushwhacking and it seems I run across more nearby roads or trails.

Offline The Marquis

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 11:42:17 AM »

Walking underused forest roads with an eye on the grassy edges. People have tips on the types of trees and such, but I've never found those particularly useful for Western WA grouse.  They seem to be anywhere and the content of their crops don't indicate differently either.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 11:51:35 AM »

Easy, just find the biggest buck or bull you have seen during hunting season, and start your stock. At the moment you are the most intent on that buck or bull, you will flush a grouse or a covey scaring the crap out of you and the buck or bull!
 :hello:

Or just walk closed roads  :chuckle:

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal