collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chevy Colorado?  (Read 2474 times)

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
Chevy Colorado?
« on: December 03, 2018, 09:47:40 AM »
Any first hand feedback on the new (2015+) Colorado's out there? Debating on getting one in the Crew Cab Standard (6') bed option. They seem be solid rigs, more comfy than the Tacoma and bit more power under the hood as well.

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
Re: Chevy Colorado?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 09:57:21 AM »
I love mine. 2016 Z71. Have the baby diesel. Great for towing, as long as you're not towing something massive. Super comfortable driving in town or down narrow logging roads.
Once or twice I wish I had the long bed, (very large bodied deer and a gun safe). And once wish it had more ground clearance, like having the ZR2 (had to go off roading more than id like, because of aforementioned large deer, dented the oil pan). But it's been a few years and these were the only instances. I still wouldn't trade my Z71 for a ZR2.
The fuel economy is pretty good too. I've tapped over 30 mpg a few times. Currently averaging 26.7 mpg with a mix of city and highway.

Now, if they would do what Dodge did, available air ride to change ride hight for off roading and not loosing fuel economy on the highway, plus a retractable front air dam for the same reasons. It would be perfect.
Be Better than Cream of Mushroom Soup

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 01:19:18 PM »
We have one for work and if your are buying it to use it as a truck, buy something else.  The rear seats are useless if the driver/front passenger is over 6'.  Tall people will hit their head on the ceiling of the rear seats.  The rear suspension is soft and sags alot under a load. The engine is a cool concept but will not excite you.  Only plus is that its ok on fuel.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 01:34:29 PM »
I have a 5.9 Cummins Dodge that sits and never moves.

I've found that 99% of what I need done can be done with the Colly,  and I run a few head of cows and hogs and farm a few acres.  It tows my 19' glass boat fine, it fetches pig feed, salt blocks and fencing supplies just fine, it hauls grocery's and hunting gear just fine and it's comfy, quite and warm. 

Everyone asks why I didn't get the diesel, I didn't need the diesel (have the dodge) what I wanted what quite, easy maintenance and quick to heat.  I hate maintaining diesels (costs more) I hate paying .30c more per gallon of tax to inslee  (diesel has .30c more tax per gallon) and my MPG isn't far off at 20+ mpg.   I got 24 hand calculated with 4 passengers and luggage in the back on a 400 mile trip,  drove it to southern california and back with 4 people and luggage and got 22-23 average. 

now the dodge only moves If I need to tow the 30 foot camper, goose neck trailer or horse trailer, which isn't very often. 

I did have a major issue with the Colorado it's first 1500 miles and I started a lemon law arbitration on it.
this might be interesting to you, it was my chronicle on this trucks issue
https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/114-2nd-gen-chevrolet-colorado-forum-2015-gmc-canyon-forum/317842-won-t-start-intermittent-issue.html

I've got 40K + on it now, once that issue was solved it's been trouble free.

Offline swanny

• Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 02:19:06 PM »
Thanks for all the input, keep it coming!

My wife and I are debating this vs a Silverado in the CC Standard box. Yes, two different beasts. 99% of the time it's a daily driver which is why we lean towards the Colorado. But for those longer trips, we have property on Lake Roosevelt, and the thought of a 2nd kid in the coming year, we keep wondering if we should go bigger. Prior to our son (2yrs old now), we had a 2002 extended cab Silverado. Seems like with two car seats in the back, the Colorado could get tight.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 02:23:56 PM »
I have a car seat (booster seat now) and there's a lot of room for two of them back there. Three full car seats would be tight, but booster seats don't take up as much room.

It's the diaper bags, school bags and other bags in the cab that fill it up quickly  :chuckle:

I carried two teens and a booster seat in that back seat from NE WA to S California and back,  the teens loved it they got on my wifi and the little one sat in the middle in her booster seat taking turns bugging one teen, then the other, then her parents  :chuckle:

It worked out well for a family of 5 on a long road trip.  A canopy would have been nice though.

Offline swanny

• Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 08:04:48 AM »
I have a car seat (booster seat now) and there's a lot of room for two of them back there. Three full car seats would be tight, but booster seats don't take up as much room.

It's the diaper bags, school bags and other bags in the cab that fill it up quickly  :chuckle:

I carried two teens and a booster seat in that back seat from NE WA to S California and back,  the teens loved it they got on my wifi and the little one sat in the middle in her booster seat taking turns bugging one teen, then the other, then her parents  :chuckle:

It worked out well for a family of 5 on a long road trip.  A canopy would have been nice though.

That's excellent to hear! We test drove it with one back there in a car seat. Have a few I'm going to check out here in the coming days. Thanks for all the input!

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 10:09:19 AM »
Please post what you find, I am looking at options to replace my 2007 Dakota and the Colorado, Canyon, and Honda Ridgeline are still under consideration for "mid-sized" options.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline swanny

• Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 08:43:09 AM »
Please post what you find, I am looking at options to replace my 2007 Dakota and the Colorado, Canyon, and Honda Ridgeline are still under consideration for "mid-sized" options.

We picked up a 2016 Colorado CCLB Z71 yesterday with canopy had, 29k on the odometer. The canopy was the big bonus for me in this truck. There are two others in the area as well, one is a Z71 and the other is an LT trim I can point you too if your interested. I had a 2002 Silverado that we sold almost 3 years ago, feels SOOO good to be back in a truck. The Colorado feels nearly the same size, but drives much nicer. My wife and I couldn't be happier, much nicer and more updated than what we had found in comparable priced Tacoma's with WAY less miles on them. Can't wait to see how it tows our 19' Alumaweld.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »

We picked up a 2016 Colorado CCLB Z71 yesterday with canopy had, 29k on the odometer. The canopy was the big bonus for me in this truck. There are two others in the area as well, one is a Z71 and the other is an LT trim I can point you too if your interested. I had a 2002 Silverado that we sold almost 3 years ago, feels SOOO good to be back in a truck. The Colorado feels nearly the same size, but drives much nicer. My wife and I couldn't be happier, much nicer and more updated than what we had found in comparable priced Tacoma's with WAY less miles on them. Can't wait to see how it tows our 19' Alumaweld.

If you don't mind me asking what was the price point?
Congratulations on the "newer" truck!
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

Offline swanny

• Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 09:19:39 AM »
They were asking $30k, got it for $28k. Not great, but not horrible either considering it had the canopy and upgraded wheels/tires.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 06:43:57 PM »
They were asking $30k, got it for $28k. Not great, but not horrible either considering it had the canopy and upgraded wheels/tires.

Nice

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw