collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pistol Suppressor?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Pistol Suppressor?
« on: December 03, 2018, 09:58:13 PM »
Anyone with real world experience able to recommend a suppressor pistol?  Was thinking 9mm but maybe a multi caliber one instead?

Do they make a good one that is silent for 45/44 and 9mm?  Thanks for my advice you can add.

SR1

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: Pistol Suppressor?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 12:22:09 AM »
I've had my Dead Air Ghost since they first came out, it's a great can and is crazy quiet. 

Offline Yondering

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »
The Liberty Mystic X is one of the most adaptable suppressors available for different calibers, and mine is very quiet. Some other suppressors are better at specific things, but the Mystic covers a lot of bases pretty well. It'll handle most pistol calibers from .357 down, and a lot of rifle cartridges too. Nothing bigger than 35 cal of course, as it's a 9mm suppressor.

Be aware that there's a big difference in noise between a suppressed 9mm and a suppressed 45 Auto, and most suppressors fired with 45 Auto are still somewhat loud/sharp sounding unless you add ablative. 9mm is a lot easier to suppress really quietly in a pistol. Long barrels are generally easier to suppress too.

Also be aware that blowback actions (like most pistol caliber carbines) don't suppress as well as a locked breech action, because of noise from the ejection port. That varies for individual guns of course, but for example, my 16" Beretta Storm carbine (9mm) is louder than any of my 9mm Glocks when used with the same suppressor and same ammo.

Another "universal" suppressor that sounds interesting to me is the Griffin Optimus, but I don't have any personal experience with it so I hesitate to say more.

Offline knighttime25

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 04:12:25 PM »
The Liberty Mystic X is one of the most adaptable suppressors available for different calibers, and mine is very quiet. Some other suppressors are better at specific things, but the Mystic covers a lot of bases pretty well. It'll handle most pistol calibers from .357 down, and a lot of rifle cartridges too. Nothing bigger than 35 cal of course, as it's a 9mm suppressor.

Be aware that there's a big difference in noise between a suppressed 9mm and a suppressed 45 Auto, and most suppressors fired with 45 Auto are still somewhat loud/sharp sounding unless you add ablative. 9mm is a lot easier to suppress really quietly in a pistol. Long barrels are generally easier to suppress too.

Also be aware that blowback actions (like most pistol caliber carbines) don't suppress as well as a locked breech action, because of noise from the ejection port. That varies for individual guns of course, but for example, my 16" Beretta Storm carbine (9mm) is louder than any of my 9mm Glocks when used with the same suppressor and same ammo.

Another "universal" suppressor that sounds interesting to me is the Griffin Optimus, but I don't have any personal experience with it so I hesitate to say more.

x2 on the Liberty Mystic X. I have one and love it. I can swap it between my 9mm, .22 LR and .223's. My 9mm suppressed sounds slightly quieter than a .22 LR non-suppressed and a .22 LR suppressed sounds like a pellet gun  :tup:

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 05:31:06 PM »
x2 on the Liberty Mystic X. I have one and love it. I can swap it between my 9mm, .22 LR and .223's. My 9mm suppressed sounds slightly quieter than a .22 LR non-suppressed and a .22 LR suppressed sounds like a pellet gun  :tup:

Brother your 9mm should be a lot quieter than that with a Mystic X, if you're using subsonic ammo. Audibly it should be about like closing a car door, no crack like a 22, just a thump, and then another thump when the bullet hits. :)

Offline Fungunnin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 09:40:42 PM »
A 45 can will work well on a 9mm.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline knighttime25

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 07:12:18 AM »
I should of added that I am using non-subsonic ammo. Never shot any subs but now I'll have to pick some up  :tup: I have too much fun shooting the .22 pistol suppressed that the other guns rarely see the can!

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 08:22:57 AM »
I've owned an Octane 45 for about 5 years and am very happy with it. .44 mag rifle, .300 blk subs, .22 wm, .22 lr, and of course 9mm and .45 acp. Easy to clean and optional 9mm endcap does quiet down smaller rounds. Silencerco service has been great. Sent a replacement baffle for free.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 11:49:19 AM »
We all have our preference but for the most part, they all make a good can.  Some may be a little lighter and a little quieter than others and generally you'll pay more for those that are, but most of them are good.  It's not to often you see or hear about a suppressor that people say, those suck don't buy that one.  :tup:

Personally, I prefer the cans that are modular and you can shoot them in a short or long configuration.

Offline SeaRun1

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 07:36:31 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

SR1

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 10:42:15 PM »
We all have our preference but for the most part, they all make a good can.  Some may be a little lighter and a little quieter than others and generally you'll pay more for those that are, but most of them are good.  It's not to often you see or hear about a suppressor that people say, those suck don't buy that one.  :tup:

Personally, I prefer the cans that are modular and you can shoot them in a short or long configuration.

Well, I'd say most of the big name manufacturers make a good can. Some of the smaller manufacturers, especially those catering to the cheaper end of the market (Huntertown, etc) are pretty lousy.

I do agree with you otherwise though. I think in the past 5-10 years, suppressors have become mainstream enough and the technology is well enough understood that most companies can make a pretty decent suppressor.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]