collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My 50 Cal Full Bore Project  (Read 10555 times)

Offline reelamin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: My 50 Cal Full Bore Project
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2018, 01:46:30 PM »
I cant believe I'm saying this right now as I'm a self proclaimed hater but have you tried just a good old fashioned powerbelt? Or any of the aerotips? I know you aretrying to hit some min numbers, but a king off your powder charge a bit may help accuracy (at least in my experience). Numbers on paper are just that. Those big heavy bullets have a lot of Pop even at 300 yards.

Thanks for the input.   No I have not, but everything is an option.   Yes, my gun shoots even better when I back off the powder.  But I have to give up about 300fps/200lbs.   Yes, numbers on paper dont always equal real world performance both positive and negative.  The good part is those numbers are identifiable quickly, and I dont have to shoot my own or find enough people who actually know their true kill details.  I will back off the powder, but only after I know I cant make it work at max velocity.  The margins are much more noticeable giving up 15-20 percent where center fire usually only give up 5 percent

Another forum gave me info on "Springback" for sizing.  I just came in from the shop and all the bullet types I sized measure differently.  I was aware of it, but until you experience it you never actually know quite as well  how it affects things.  Again, I just learned something more.  They said I needed to size every single bullet type specifically to fit, and the adjustable die almost always requires different settings for different bullets.   Multiple sizing of the same bullet can eliminate the spring back   I even got a little springback on my Fury bullets, so I sized them again just now and will size them again in the morning. 

I need to leave my die set where it is for now until my new batch of Fury show up.  Then I will start adjusting the die to every bullet type to get the correct fit after any springback.   I cant wait for my next center fire project....so much easier!!!!

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »
Talk to text and not proof reading strikes again :bash:

*Backing off. Not a king  :chuckle:

I've seen a few deer killed at or north of 300 (one was over 370) and both animals there was bone structure involved.  Bullets had zero issue crushing bone and reaching vitals.  Both were 100gr powder charges.  Deer are definitely not elk though.  As I'm sure you know, your sights will be your biggest limiter for accuracy. 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline reelamin

• Hunter
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2018, 09:39:17 PM »
Took out the last of the Fury bullets I have in hand, and had been re-sized four times at the set die setting.  They were tight but I was able to seat them with decent force.  I still thought they were tight, but I dont have anyone helping me so I can actually know.   Anyway, I shot a group and it was right in where I had been before 1.5"...not great but consistent.   Started in with the next group and round #5 for the day stuck.   I JUST ABOUT FLIPPED THE F OUT!!!   I dont break things when I get mad....but I was FURIOUS TIMES 1 MILLION and it was very close to loosing my brains!!  I literally had to sit in the rig and get my crap together before I did something I would regret later.   

I stewed on in for a while...loaded all my stuff up...drove back home and adjusted the sizing die.  I had been waiting for my new Fury bullets to show up, but I was done with stuck bullets and stuff not working.  I twisted in three more lines/adjustments smaller and they fit well.  I could not even get them to register different on my micrometer, but they definitely fit the bore better than before.  Go gack to the range and all three load exactly the same and pretty darn easy.  I stack two on top of each other, and feel like I pulled the 3rd to the right.   I know people say things to cover, but I knew I pulled it right and sure enough it was to the right of the first two.   BUUUUT...the group was under an inch at .8, and I KNOW it is capable of much more but I'm out of bullets.  Velocity is less than I want...but not by much...and I still have not tweaked or tried some T7.  It shot amazingly well!

So I will just adjust the die for each bullet type and check it for accuracy.  I was trying to shoot like my center fire and take several different bullets to the range at a time.  I know where the die was, so I can easily just turn it back or to the setting I need.  I was just worried about getting the setting back where I needed it.  Anyone have any experience with the adjustable dies....are they dead nuts when you set them back or does it take tweaking every single time?  Overall was a much better day!

Offline reelamin

• Hunter
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2018, 02:04:51 PM »
Today was not bad all things considered.   I sized some Hornady FTX300gr after I had knurled them with a file, and tried a couple different base wads.  I fitted the first one and it was spot on, so I sized a total of nine I had knurled with a file.  Loading at the range was way different with variable loading pressure.  The groups were really good excluding one flier.

The variable in loading pressure was caused by the amount of location of the knurling, and there is just no way I can be perfectly consistent with the file.  It works...but not precise and repeatable for what I am wanting/trying to do.  With one flier out of three with similar groups and the shots felt good...no way possible to exclude the different loading pressure.  The chronograph showed some really wide ES I never see with Sabot's or the properly sized Fury.  Yep, you guessed it...ordering a knurler tomorrow....WTH...it's only money right?   

Offline reelamin

• Hunter
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2019, 03:47:50 PM »
My new batch of Fury 320gr showed up.  I noticed they had two different type/look to the knurling.  I sized them, and it required two more marks tighter for a good fit in my fouled barrel.   I separated them by knurling, and shot the diamond pattern first and I was super happy.  All shots felt good, but it was still a .8 group.   I loaded up the squared knurling and it required a little more pressure to seat it.  The next target over was set the opposite and it looked like a good shot.  When I over layed the targets it almost matched the 3rd shot.  So my POI was the same and the OA group size was no larger with the 4th shot. 

Rifle is getting cleaned and knurler is on the way.  Regardless I have a good full bore load with the 320 Fury.  So, now the rest of the shooting is less stressful for me. 

Anyone have any experience sizing the Fury?  Is there a need to adjust slightly with each new batch?  The last ones I sized ranged in diameter from Fury .501-.503 as those were the "test fit" bullets I had ordered.  Wonder if that had something to do with the die adjustment?

Offline reelamin

• Hunter
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2019, 10:05:01 PM »
My Ulitmate Cannelure/Knurler showed up Friday and I got it mounted up and working today.  What an incredible piece of equipment.  I mean this thing is made to the detail and quality in the extreme!!  This thing has every detail covered and even the rubber bands for shipping are high quality.  I swapped in the knurling tool (photo of cannelure and knurler installed).  Every moving part has a brass tipped set screw that holds perfectly just barely snugged with fingers.  It allowed .001 adjustments easily.  Also allows to leave the bullet base at .500 for easy starting.  This is one tool that the price is well worth the quality and how well it worked.   I only knurled two different types of bullets, as I will only work with one at a time here on out.  Easy to use and does not require huge amount of pressure on the lever, the cam leverage is huge and easily knurls even the solid Barnes.  Contact Kevin if you have any questions or want one.  Kevin Knight <chuckbuster@hotmail.com>

Offline reelamin

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »
I finally had some time and the weather was cooperating as best as we have had.  Sunny so the chrono would work but breezy.   Worst case wind would account for .5-.8” max of movement.  I headed to the range with some more test bullets and combinations.   Some of those loads may cause issue with people.  Please don’t go off topic and get into a debate on MAX LOADS.  I’m a believer in we are all adults and can make our decisions and reap the rewards or suffer the consequences. 

I have ruined many bullets with my file knurling then my knurling tool and trying to get them sized to fit.  I found I did not have to put lots of pressure on the tool.   Basically, I knurled them to .503”, but it was heavy and lots of metal moved out.   That totally messed up my sizing as with more metal/contact/available resistance, the initial knurling/sizing matters.   So, I had to get everything sized back to .500 or as close as it would go.   I had or order a new sizing bushing for my NOE kit, and after it arrived I sized the FTX back to .500.  With the spring back it was a good fit and loaded well. 

The 300 FTX both with and without a base wad shot the same groups but different velocity.  With a base wad actually show worse by a little and velocity was similar.  On the Fury I am loosing noticeable amounts of FPS without the base wad.  Again, the groups are listed as they were shot, but I will give them .5” of wiggle room due to the breeze.   Even with the conditions the accuracy/velocity was not on par with the Fury.  300FTX has one more try and then it’s off the list for the Big Horn.   I didn’t take pictures of every target, but I shot 21 rounds and it’s time to clean it.   

I was going to shoot some with T73F and the first round loaded great.  I then swabbed the barrel (don’t swab for 209) and promptly stuck the next bullet.  All the bullets with BH209 and no swabbing loaded fine.  So, T73F, or any similar requiring swabbing is out because I am not going to have different sized bullets for each powder.  With no sabot’s my rifle seems to be liking the 1925-2000fps range.

300FTX:  120 BH209, W-W 209
Heavy .503 then sized to .500/NOE Die, .518x.60 base, 2004fps, 2.520”/2 – 1”
Heavy .503 then sized to .500/NOE Die, Bare, 2010fps, 2.060”/2-.250”

Fury 320 .503 sized to fit on adjustable die:
120 BH209, W-W 209, Bare, 1895fps, 1.441”
125 BH209, W-W 209, .521x.60 base, 2005fps, 1.910”, horizontal string. 
130 BH209, W-W 209, Bare, 2010fps, 1.715”

When I have horizontal or vertical stringing it’s caused by two things.  Equipment issue or environmental, with the breeze I’m leaning toward environment.  I will shoot that one again for sure, and the FTX with no base wad.  Also based on where the other bullets were landing I have to shoot the FTX one more time as a high flyer does not fit. 

Also, took one day to hunt the cat after a snow but no tracks. Have to work the new pup for 4-5 birds a day too. Maybe I have too many hobbies? ha...negative ghost rider...that pattern is not full

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:15:59 PM by reelamin »

Offline reelamin

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2019, 08:49:21 PM »
Update:
I hate to call it a setback, but I have spent a lot of time trying to fix my screwed up knurling.  I just have too much centerfire and not "making a bullet" experience.  I think everything is going to the same, but it never seems to work out that way. The variances in the file knurling I figured would not matter because when I re-sized them they would all fit.  NEGATIVE!!! It all depends on how much, depth, jacket thickness, internal lead hardness, full copper, of surface area that is knurled.  One little bit of difference completely changes the sizing needed so it can be loaded.  Then add in I had file knurled a lot of bullets to try to get ahead and just size and load them.  Again, NEGATIVE...all I did was create huge amounts of delays, stuck bullets, trips to and from the range, and frustration to the extreme many many days on end.   

Then I got a nice precision knurling tool, and promptly did basically the same thing.   I knurled several bullets and they looked amazing....then started sizing and trying to shoot them.  Same frustration I was pulling way too much metal out and could not get them sized down to fit.   I have several times considered saying screw this...shoot the Fury and move on to other projects.  So, I have kept at it and figuring things out how to make it work.   I was trying to save all the bullets I had by sizing them back down and re-doing them.  There was a lot of coin being thrown away so I continued to try to save them.  SCREW IT I THREW ALL OF THE REMAINING ONES INTO A BAG AND WILL GIVE THEM AWAY OR THROW THEM OUT!!!!

I started with fresh new bullets and set the knurler to raise .001 in diameter and .300 in knurling width.  I sized one bullet at a time and it took a couple sizing die adjustments to find the proper fit.   I then knurled and sized a second one at the last die setting and it fit the first time.  I did it with a third and when it also fit I felt comfortable they will all fit now.  I hope I have it figured out...well at least for two bullets I do.  Every bullet is different just a little bit, and if it is in the wrong area I'm screwed and start again.  Then work changed my schedule so I go go work in the dark and get off when it's dark.  So I have to wait for days off to do any shooting.  Oh well summer is getting here and soon enough I can shoot any day.

Here are all the .500 (file knurled and machine knurled) that I will send to anyone who wants them.  Otherwise I am throwing them out.  Figured maybe someone shooting a .54 can use them for practice or what ever. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]