collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any good guide services for goose in skagit area  (Read 5128 times)

Offline bowjunkie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Any good guide services for goose in skagit area
« on: December 04, 2018, 08:28:53 AM »
looking to do a guided hunt goose/snows  in the skagit area any good guide services around thanks shaun

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Any good guide services for goose in skagit area
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 07:36:53 AM »
No guides that could be recommended.  But they do seem to pop up on CL overnight.
Mainly snows in the Skagit area, some limited spots for good dark geese shoots with the occasional specs.  Many of the snows are being shot by young groups that have pooled their money together and setting up big spread with 10-15 shooters.  They might be guides this month, to take advantage of discounts on gear from companies.  Your crew will consist of 16 - 22 year old's that are eager to pull the trigger.

If you do have a good shoot you may have to sign a release as your pic will be a hashtag on every waterfowl site.  #@

If you want a good pit hunt over a nice spread with options to kill darks and snows while not knee deep in a soft spud field, east side would be your better option.  Bill Saunders, Eagle Lake, Honker Stompers and others have been doing very good on the birds.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:48:47 AM by h2ofowlr »
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:40:36 AM »
My old man had two bad hunts with guides and a bad experience with a hunt club that took him out on a trial basis. From folks I've talked to the trip to go east of the mountains is well worth it.

Offline Snowgoose1

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »
GO EAST

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 08:08:51 AM »
No guides that could be recommended.  But they do seem to pop up on CL overnight.
Mainly snows in the Skagit area, some limited spots for good dark geese shoots with the occasional specs.  Many of the snows are being shot by young groups that have pooled their money together and setting up big spread with 10-15 shooters.  They might be guides this month, to take advantage of discounts on gear from companies.  Your crew will consist of 16 - 22 year old's that are eager to pull the trigger.

If you do have a good shoot you may have to sign a release as your pic will be a hashtag on every waterfowl site.  #@

If you want a good pit hunt over a nice spread with options to kill darks and snows while not knee deep in a soft spud field, east side would be your better option.  Bill Saunders, Eagle Lake, Honker Stompers and others have been doing very good on the birds.

It's all about the Instagram photos these days...

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »
"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:43:38 PM »
I'm joining a group of 3 that is hunting snows with a knowwheretohunt guide near Skagit this weekend.  I'll post the results. We're still not sure if we're hunting Sat or Sunday.  Sunday looks slightly breezier.  We hunted honkers with Levi Meesberg at Mardon resort earlier this year and at the end of last year with fantastic results (fast limits).  Hoping for the same on the west side!

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »

Geez! What has waterfowling become? I quit
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 07:03:36 PM »
I'm joining a group of 3 that is hunting snows with a knowwheretohunt guide near Skagit this weekend.  I'll post the results. ...

@Chesterdog: How did the KWTH guided hunt go?  Any Snows?
"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 03:40:33 PM »

[/quote]

We had a good hunt.  We ended up with 3 snows and a wigeon each last Sunday. (3 hunters) We had a guy in our party that needed to jam south to avoid traffic so we started picking up decoys with 30 min left of shoot time just as thousands of snows picked up and flew 20 yrds overhead.  Anyone who hunts knows how that goes.  Super frustrating.  If we had stuck it out, we would have taken limits.  They (KWTH) got us on the birds and seemed to have a pretty good idea where the geese were going and how to set up for a successful hunt.  I'd do it again.   One thing to note - we were booked for Sat, but KWTH suggested we wait until Sunday because more weather was predicted.  They made sure we were hunting with the best chances at success, which was appreciated.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 12:17:21 AM »

We had a good hunt.  We ended up with 3 snows and a wigeon each last Sunday. (3 hunters) We had a guy in our party that needed to jam south to avoid traffic so we started picking up decoys with 30 min left of shoot time just as thousands of snows picked up and flew 20 yrds overhead.  Anyone who hunts knows how that goes.  Super frustrating.  If we had stuck it out, we would have taken limits.  They (KWTH) got us on the birds and seemed to have a pretty good idea where the geese were going and how to set up for a successful hunt.  I'd do it again.   One thing to note - we were booked for Sat, but KWTH suggested we wait until Sunday because more weather was predicted.  They made sure we were hunting with the best chances at success, which was appreciated.
You got hosed by them on Saturday.  They had a ton of rigs.  Probably were switched as they had to many guys hunting.  They did a bunch of high shooting on Saturday.  Big flocks flying, but they weren’t letting them work.  Not sure how many birds they sailed, but they shot a case plus of shells in the two locations we could see.  Not sure which location they stuck you in, but Fir Island shot good for most groups.  Right after the freeze and the first thaw.  Lots of birds had moved into the area the prior Wed.
[/quote]
I seriously don't understand your reason for this post.
Sounds like they had a good time
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 03:36:41 AM »
Anthony Fana

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 03:25:29 PM »

[/quote]
You got hosed by them on Saturday.  They had a ton of rigs.  Probably were switched as they had to many guys hunting. 

Nice speculating! Nope, you're wrong.  They gave us the option of Saturday or Sunday and let us make the decision.  Saturday was blue-bird with no wind and rain. Sunday was blowing all day with rain in the afternoon.  It was a no-brainer.  I believe you about the sky busting, but our guide (Tony) was solid and made it clear that we weren't popping at birds unless they were within 40yrds (most of our shots were within 20yrds). We saw another KWTH group shoot at some high birds but he immediately got on his cell and chewed them out.  I'm not trying to kiss their ass because it's pretty expensive and lowers the chance I'll ever get permission from a farmer to hunt their fields when these guys are paying for hunting leases, but remember that the public can pay to hunt KWTH blinds or sign up with KWTH and sky bust.  I wouldn't put the sky busting that's gone on for the last 20 years out there on them.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 07:17:25 AM »

You got hosed by them on Saturday.  They had a ton of rigs.  Probably were switched as they had to many guys hunting. 

Nice speculating! Nope, you're wrong.  They gave us the option of Saturday or Sunday and let us make the decision.  Saturday was blue-bird with no wind and rain. Sunday was blowing all day with rain in the afternoon.  It was a no-brainer.  I believe you about the sky busting, but our guide (Tony) was solid and made it clear that we weren't popping at birds unless they were within 40yrds (most of our shots were within 20yrds). We saw another KWTH group shoot at some high birds but he immediately got on his cell and chewed them out.  I'm not trying to kiss their ass because it's pretty expensive and lowers the chance I'll ever get permission from a farmer to hunt their fields when these guys are paying for hunting leases, but remember that the public can pay to hunt KWTH blinds or sign up with KWTH and sky bust.  I wouldn't put the sky busting that's gone on for the last 20 years out there on them.
[/quote]

You realize the more people who pay them the more land that will be lost to the average hunter right?

Offline KP-Skagit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 08:46:46 AM »

You realize the more people who pay them the more land that will be lost to the average hunter right?
[/quote]

KWTH works with private landowners to allow access to private land that quite often was off limits or reserved for the select few so I wouldn't say it is taking opportunity away from the general hunter. I am from the Conway area and enjoyed in some areas exclusive access as I worked for many of the farmers in high school and know them well. It was bittersweet to see some of my favorite spots go to KWTH however I know for the landowners it is a nice thing. They get some money out of the deal and the group posts and manages access to their land. Many of the landowners had stopped giving permission to ANYONE in response to the chaos (skybusting, sluicing, trespassing, etc.) related to snow geese that seemed to peak about 10 years ago.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]