collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Youth bow advice wanted  (Read 9004 times)

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Youth bow advice wanted
« on: December 04, 2018, 11:23:01 AM »
I want to get my 2 six year olds bows. I’ve looked at reviews and am shocked at the prices. Any advice on youth bows? They obviously won’t hunt for a while and I don’t plan to start them on archery hunting anyway. Anyone have one they want to get
rid of?

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Youth bow advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 12:01:22 PM »
do they shoot now? recurves are fun to play with and can be found pretty inexpensively.

If they're more into wheel bows I would start them on a Mathews Genesis. No monkeying around with draw length and whatnot. Get them shooting and as they grow, the genesis will too. The Genesis doesn't have a draw stop, it's functionally more like a recurve with steady pull. GREAT for learning the archery basics (look up the 12 steps to archery). Then as their skills advance and you want to get them thinking about hunting, a year or two away, pick whichever major brand you like and buy their super adjustable bow. My daughter shot her mini genesis from 4-9, then we got her a Bear Cruzer Lite. She killed her first deer with it this year, the first day she ever hunted (helps to have a good spot... thanks grandpa!  :chuckle: ). She's 11. If you get them in a regular bow now, you'll spend more time adjusting the draw length every week and resighting... Get them shooting and having fun, then move into the hunting gear as they age.

Offline stickslinger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »
Diamond infinate edge, the boy loves it and it will grow with them
RELAX,PICK A SPOT,SHOOT STRAIGHT

Offline jnordwell

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 07:46:01 PM »
Diamond has a few good ones as does pse and bear.. head over to YouTube and search a ton of reviews.. I’m getting my older kids some bows this year..looking at pse stinger extreme for my daughter and don’t know yet for my son. Took them both separately to the store to pick up a few bows and see which one they liked better in the hand. Then draw that one. If your buying 2 you can buy the same one in different colors to make adjusting simple for you or if they are like my kids need different ones..lol kids

Offline jnordwell

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 07:47:23 PM »
2 mountain outdoors in Klickitat co. Has some youth bows ready for Christmas.. look them up on Facebook Morgan is very helpful.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
Tagging.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 10:04:13 AM »
Diamond edge bows are perfect for a beginner of any age. 7-70 pounds of adjustment and adjustable draw length with out a press. And they shoot great! Bought one for my girlfriend to try archery and was really surprised at how easy it was to tune. As a package there around 400$ I think.

Offline smithkl42

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/smithkl42/
    • Would-BeTheologian
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 05:08:47 PM »
My 11-year old son is shooting a Bear Cruzer at ~48 pounds. My 9-year old son is shooting a Diamond Infinite Edge at ~40 pounds. My 8-year old daughter is shooting her brother's hand-me-down Barnett Vortex at ~12 pounds. (She could pull heavier, but the bow's just a tad big for her, and that's as heavy as it'll go when it's set for her draw length.)

The Barnett is cheapest, but it's not nearly as adjustable as the Diamond and it's marginal for hunting - it'll go to 45 pounds, but only at the very end of its draw length. If my daughter shows any interest in hunting as she gets older, I'll upgrade her to the Diamond or something like it.
"Marriage is a duel to the death, which no man of honor should decline." - GKC

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 06:45:50 PM »
Sounds like multiple votes for the diamond infinite edge.

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 06:52:49 PM »
Took my 5 year old son to Rock Creek last week and they dropped a diamond down to a 19” draw and lightened it all the way up. He no problem shooting it so I’ll be buying one for Christmas this year. It should last him until he’s done growing but you still have to buy arrows every time they grow.

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 05:04:26 AM »
Started my son out on a Alpine that had replaceble limbs to the next size.  It looks like the bow we had has been replaced now with this bow http://alpinearchery.com/2013rookiebow.html

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 08:33:07 AM »
I got my daughter a diamond infinite edge four years ago.
We've been happy with it.
It's very easy to adjust both draw weight and length.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 08:54:00 AM »
I will throw in another nod for the Diamond Infinite edge, we have 2 in our house,  looks like its called the Infinite Edge pro now, Cabelas has the package on sale for 299 and they also have a PSE mini burner package for 199 which looks like it would fit your needs also.

If you are not needing to get it right now you might wait till after the first of the year and they put alot of them on good sales  :twocents:
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 09:47:16 AM »
I bought my daughter a Diamond Atomic when she was 6. She shot it for 3 years and then grew out of it. I was hesitant about the size of the Infinite Edge at that point. It might have been fine and definitely would have lasted longer. They don't seem to lose much value as I was able to sell it for a reasonable price when she outgrew it.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline dmv9

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 10:10:50 AM »
What do you get if the kid is left-handed? I'm looking at Cabela's and just seeing compound bows, which I'm assuming is right-handed.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal