collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Used mid sized suv recommendations  (Read 7185 times)

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Used mid sized suv recommendations
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »
Do not by a highlander! Havent had a single problem with mine until now. The engine cooler pipe burst and dumped all the oil out. Its a $100 part that will ruin your engine if it fails and they know its a problem. Have extended repair warranty on this part to 150k miles but wont touch it unless it fails first. Mine has 150,400 miles and they are telling me I am out of luck.....

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2018, 05:25:39 PM »
 521k on my Excursion and still drive it almost every day.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 06:06:46 PM »
Acura MDX
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 11:05:33 PM »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 09:39:07 AM »

You have 521,000  miles on your Excursion? Care to elaborate how you achieved that?

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 10:16:37 AM »
Do not by a highlander! Havent had a single problem with mine until now. The engine cooler pipe burst and dumped all the oil out. Its a $100 part that will ruin your engine if it fails and they know its a problem. Have extended repair warranty on this part to 150k miles but wont touch it unless it fails first. Mine has 150,400 miles and they are telling me I am out of luck.....
We have a Highlander and so do my parents.  Haven't had an issue with either one.  Theirs is an 07 with about 250k, ours is a 16 with 65k.  They do great in snow and ice with studded tires as well. with

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 11:00:52 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised on our trip back to Washington in December. We were staying at our daughters house in Puyallup, but we were going to drive over the pass (I90) on Christmas day to visit MIL in Desert Air.
I went to Enterprise to rent a 4x4 or All-Wheel drive vehicle. They gave us a Hyundai Santa Fe. I would have never considered this vehicle. We were very impressed how solid it drove. One our return trip we were in the blizzard conditions from Easton up over the pass down to almost North Bend. Chains required, except 4x4 and All-Wheel drive. The Santa Fe with traction control handled the snow and ice exceptionally well. We saw an older subaru wagon spin out, and a Chevy Traverse ping pong out of control hitting multiple cars. At no time did I feel loss of traction.
The gas mileage was around 26 MPG average, and the interior was very comfortable and roomy. THe only thing I saw was it could have had more power getting up to speed. It was substantially less powerful than our All-Wheel drive Murano with 300 HP, and I would not put it in the same category as the Murano or MDX.
All in All, I was very impressed at the ride and ability of the Santa Fe. I would definitely consider one with All-Wheel drive for a commuter vehicle at their price point.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 11:14:23 AM »
I was in a similar boat as the OP after moving to a new house and having to commute about 50 miles a day.  We had a 2013 Explorer with the 3.0 V6.  It averaged about 21mpg overall and 24 mpg on my 90% highway daily commute. I wanted to get something with better mileage, so a year ago we shopped around a little and ended up with a 2017 Nissan Rogue.  AWD was a must and besides that fuel economy was the next most important thing on the list, as well as enough room for two car seats (I take the kids to daycare every day).  I have had the Rogue for about a year now and have no complaints.  It gets about 28 mpg average and I have gotten as high as 35-37 mpg on my 25 mile commute.  Has handled great in the snow for its size.  It has far less interior space as our Explorer had, but it is bigger than the small crossover type SUV's we looked at. It seemed like a good compromise between interior space and fuel mileage.  We had narrowed our choice down to the Escape and the Rogue.  In the end we chose the Rogue because it had slightly better fuel mileage with the CVT transmission and also ended up getting more bells and whistles for the money with the Rogue.  I don't use it for hunting, but we live in a very rural area on a gravel road and it does just fine in deep snow and less than ideal gravel roads.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2019, 11:25:39 AM »
My buddy has a 2016 Rogue All-Wheel drive, he loves it.
Our Daughter had a 2005 Rav4 All-Wheel drive, drove it to 280k miles and traded it in for a 2017 Rav4 All-Wheel drive, have 20k on this one. Neither of her Rav4s have every been in the shop. Extremely reliable vehicles.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 03:21:27 PM »

You have 521,000  miles on your Excursion? Care to elaborate how you achieved that?

I do, drive it almost daily. Not much to any story, just dive it everywhere. :dunno:

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 04:54:36 PM »
Never get a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo under any circumstances. Trust me on this one.
Love my Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Isn't  a Laredo.  I get average 23 MPG.  I drive 60 miles round trip for work.  All wheel drive, 3.6 l V6 300HP.  I had 2 Escapes before thus one.  Great vehicles but they aren't mid size.  They are small for sure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 09:48:39 PM »

I do, drive it almost daily. Not much to any story, just dive it everywhere. :dunno:

7.3 I imagine?
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 11:22:04 PM »

7.3 I imagine?

Correct

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2019, 11:35:32 PM »

7.3 I imagine?

Correct

Nice. I’ve been looking at getting one for the wife. I have a 6.0 f350 but I know the 7.3 was a better motor. Good 7.3 excursions are tough to find for a reasonable price
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline grimace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2019, 08:52:53 PM »

7.3 I imagine?

Correct

Nice. I’ve been looking at getting one for the wife. I have a 6.0 f350 but I know the 7.3 was a better motor. Good 7.3 excursions are tough to find for a reasonable price

I wish we never got rid of our 01' Excursion, it was a bus, drove nice, comfortable and got 17-20 mpg

G

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal