collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ford F-150 EcoBoost  (Read 9874 times)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Ford F-150 EcoBoost
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 12:21:39 PM »
I have a 2018 2.7l with 22k on it.MPG is excellent consistently get 23 and power to spare.Only negative is the stupid auto start/stop.

Could be wrong but I thought you could turn that feature off if you wanted to, no?
my 17 has a button but it needs pushed each time you drive

I think sport or towing mode disables it tho. I’ve just gotten used to it

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 12:28:01 PM »
I've owned a 2013 3.5 Ecoboost SuperCrew 6' bed, 4x4, 3.73 gear ratio, max tow package and 36 gallon tank for almost two years now. I haven't had any problems with the truck and the best mileage I get is 21 MPG on a run from McCleary to Tacoma. Getting out past the Columbia heading east the MPG went up to around 24 MPG which gave me over a 600 mile range from almost a full tank. The only complaint I have about the mechanics of the truck is that there's a bit of delay from a dead stop. Put in a cubic yard of soil in the back and it's amplified. It seems to be the turbos spooling up faster to be the cause. 

While it was at the body shop for repairs due to Seattle hotel valets not knowing how to park, I was given a 2018 F-150 V8. Leaving the lot, I was thrust back into the previous 17 years of my life when I drove a 2000 Chevy Silverado 4.8l V8 and that's when I realized, I should have just got the V8 and skipped the twin turbo hype.

Besides that, I'm still not like the console layout. Buttons and nobs are too small, even with the buttons in the steering I still would rather have the layout I used to have. When I wanted to adjust the climate control, there was a BIG knob.

I still miss my Chevy.

Overall, the Ford has not let me down.
My 3.5 has notable more power and torque than my 5.3 pile of bow tie would ever dream of having.  You couldn’t pay me to own a Chevy.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 05:25:58 PM »
I sold lots of F150s with both 2.7 and 3.5 Ecos.
If someone sat you down in one and you drove it for an hour and they said quess which engine you're driving, you couldn't tell the difference.
The 3.5 will have more torque, especially at low revs, but both engines come with the new 10sp tranny and you'll never be at a loss for ratios.
If I was buying a SuperCrew shortbed and knew I'd never tow anything larger than a driftboat, I'd buy the 2.7L.
I bought a SuperCrew 6.5' bed, and it had the 3.5.  The 3.5L will have better resale.
3-stall trailer?...I'd get the 3.5 with tow package and trailer brake controller.

Was is the price hit between the 2.7, 3.5, and the V8?
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 06:21:29 PM »
If someone sat you down in one and you drove it for an hour and they said quess which engine you're driving, you couldn't tell the difference.
The 3.5 will have more torque, especially at low revs, but both engines come with the new 10sp tranny and you'll never be at a loss for ratios.
If I was buying a SuperCrew shortbed and knew I'd never tow anything larger than a driftboat, I'd buy the 2.7L.
I bought a SuperCrew 6.5' bed, and it had the 3.5.  The 3.5L will have better resale.
3-stall trailer?...I'd get the 3.5 with tow package and trailer brake controller.

It was about the same.  Looking at about $33,900 for a 2018 with 10k miles.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Survival Pack

• Pilgrim
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 06:27:49 PM »
I've got 2016 crew 6.5ft box 3.5 eco.  Tows 7000 pound travel trailer over Snoqualmie at 60 mph at 2500 rpm easily.  I'm sure you could do 75 over the top if you wanted to push it.  Very little compression braking to slow down though.  But endless power to pull.  Works great in mountains with 2 inch level and 275/70 18 upgrades.  Hauls loads good with added 2000 lb airspring bags added to keep level.  Any weight will squat truck bad without bags.  34000 miles and still works good for me.  I get 19 mpg running light to Moses lake and back from west side.  Towing trailer same trip will be 11 mpg.  Overall I like the truck.  Like some others have said-I miss some of the old school knows that have been replaced by buttons.  If your concern is towing-this pulls way, way harder than the Chevy 2500 6.0 v8 it replaced.

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 06:46:24 PM »

Same price I paid for my 2018 Silverado 5.3 eassist with 3 miles on it
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 07:15:02 AM »

Same price I paid for my 2018 Silverado 5.3 eassist with 3 miles on it

Saving about $12k going this direction.
Cut em!

Offline dc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 07:49:15 AM »
I have had a 2014 3.5 since last April.  It replaced a 04 6.0 liter diesel that I used to pull my 26 ft. 6500 lb. (dry) trailer.  ZERO regrets, it pulls the trailer just fine with power to spare.  Highly recommend!

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 07:23:55 PM »

I,ve got the 2.7(bought it new in 2015) and have 28 thousand miles on it and probably 20 thousand are tow miles. We have pulled our trailer(right around 6 ,000 lbs) all over the west with absolutely 0 issues, I get around 11mpg towing and around 20-22 not. My start/stop can be disabled, small button on the dash.

Offline shootem

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 12:49:19 AM »
My 2016 F-150 3.5 has 41,000 miles with the computer saying 17.2 mpg overall history. There are around 2000 miles towing back and forth from the west side to the east with a 7000 lb boat. Average towing was around 12.5 mpg over the pass. City cruising 17 mpg. Road cruising scouting at lower mph was 22 mpg. Highway at 75-80 mph including higher elevations in Washington, Wyoming, and Montana around 18 mpg.  I almost always run premium 92 octane gas. It improved MPG probably making it a break even with the extra cost. Maybe not. Definetly gas with no ethanol improved mpg and performance enough for me to be willing to pay extra but I cannot give you definite numbers. Towing with the 3.5 is amazing. Hitting the gas at 60 mph with no load will impress anybody.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 07:44:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I ordered one up and it should arrive on the 17th.  We will see how I like it.  Moving from an F-350 down to the F-150.
Cut em!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 08:22:05 AM »
I like mine but it's pretty new.  Plenty of power for towing and otherwise is as advertised.

This has been my concern as I have heard both good and bad about eco boost towing. You are happy with it?

The 3.5 is a beast when it comes to towing. It's the only way to get the biggest tow rating out of an F150. Curious what concerns you've heard about when towing?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 08:37:03 AM »
I like mine but it's pretty new.  Plenty of power for towing and otherwise is as advertised.

This has been my concern as I have heard both good and bad about eco boost towing. You are happy with it?

The 3.5 is a beast when it comes to towing. It's the only way to get the biggest tow rating out of an F150. Curious what concerns you've heard about when towing?

Most the bad I have heard was older models and the motor running hot
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline bassquatch

• AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Something clever.
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 02:15:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I ordered one up and it should arrive on the 17th.  We will see how I like it.  Moving from an F-350 down to the F-150.

Just did this, F350 back to a 150.  My needs changed and after 12 years in the kidney bashing one ton I wanted a softer ride.  My truck only tows my 2,000lb boat from launch to launch so I opted out of Max Tow and FX4 which give you stiffer springs.

Thing rides like a dream, has exactly what I wanted and didn't want cause I factory ordered and will dang near squirt out from underneath you when you romp on it!  I'm only at 1500 miles but could not be happier!

3.5L 163 inch wheelbase.

As for auto start/stop, just plug in a trailer test plug and the system thinks you have a trailer hooked up and disengages it...or just push the cancel button on the dash every time.  It's engaged by brake pedal pressure so a little lighter at the stop lights and it doesn't even engage.  :tup:
AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 04:26:55 PM »
I had a 2013 for a few years and though I never had any problems, I couldn’t stand the turbo lag at stop. It was almost too quiet and didn’t feel like I was driving a truck. It really shined over 60 when passing though. 3.5

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal