collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New compound opinions  (Read 8965 times)

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
New compound opinions
« on: December 09, 2018, 12:53:00 PM »
Been hunting with a stick for nearly 30 years. Due to shoulder and finger issues, I am switching to a compound. I bought an entry level but already would like to upgrade.

I'm looking for opinions/advice on a new bow with criteria in this order. Any make or model made from 2017 on and any advice on quivers. I'm sticking with a HHA Optimixer Ultra so quiver fit is tough

1) Quiet
2) Accurate
3) Carry ability ( balances/light)
4) Speed

Thanks in advance for any input
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: New compound opinions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
Find a local pro shop near you and go shoot some different bows and see what feels good to you. All the new compounds will be a lot faster than the traditional bows you been shooting.

As far as quiver goes see if a tight spot will work with that sight, most adjustable quiver your going to find.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »
The heck with all the generic big box names (that infect most of the local archery shops around here). Order a Darton Archery Maverick II from the factory, get a set a Sidehill custom strings put on (out of Kalama), put a MBG sight on, a QAD rest, and you’ll be set.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 05:21:40 PM »
Wapiti

Great looking bow that Darton. Do you know of any where to shoot one?

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »
Wapiti

Great looking bow that Darton. Do you know of any where to shoot one?

Zwicky, you can’t hardly find Darton dealers anymore on this side of the big river.  You’re welcome to shoot mine if you ever make it down my way. 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 07:10:44 PM »
Prime is at the top of my list and you can pick up a 2018 brand new on Ebay for as little as $599 the last time I looked.  My buddy has a Prime Rize and it would fit all your requirements.

Last years Prime, Hoyt or Elite off Ebay is what I would look into.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 05:43:50 AM »
Shot some Mathews, Bowtech and Mission. All were great. My son lives in S.C. and recently bought an Obsession and says its the quietest , fastest bow he has ever shot. Any one have any experience with these

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 04:59:28 AM »
Shot 4 different Obsessions last night, very nice bows. Any one looking for one should give Lance a call @ 425-485-2697
New shop in Bothell, nice and knowledgeable guy

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 06:28:49 AM »
I’ve always been trad but my buddies convinced me to pick up a compound. I got a almost 10 year old Mathews and it still competes with their new bows just fine. I think I’m a bit slower but I paid $400 for what I’ve got and they were all over $1,000. Used ones on Craigslist aren’t bad.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 08:33:56 AM »
I started shooting different bows this past summer to replace my lower-midrange 07 Bowtech. Had already killed a number of elk with it but told myself I wasn't getting a new one til after killing one more (and to be honest, I felt it was too close to the season to make a major gear switch) .
I shot top of the line bows for reference and then focused on their mid range offerings. Sure, the $1,000-$1,300 flagship bows were great! But so were the mid range bows. Not a single flagship model was worth the extra $300-$700. (To me that is😁)
So far the Obsession is at the top of my list. Now it's on to shopping the best deal!
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 05:38:53 AM »
Thanks for all the replies

I agree with you guys, top tier isn't needed and there are great deals on ebay for last years models. I just need to get more in my hand to shoot

Bracer  The Obsession Turmoil is a good shooter and might be the direction I go. Still need to shoot Elite and Hoyt and then go back and shoot them all over again

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 07:47:51 AM »
My old Mathews exteme z-7 fits the bill, except weight, it is heavy imop.  333fps is still comparable, 7 inch brace so shoots well, quiet, small, balanced well.  Not the greatest but pretty darn good still!  All Z-7 are good shooters imop.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 08:35:25 AM »
   If forced to buy a bow at this moment, it would be the Obsession FXL. To me it was the most impressive performing bow I have shot to date. Having shot Flagships of all the major brands, and several of the lesser ones, it is clear the competition is very stiff this year. All of the bows seemed much better than offerings over the past few years, at least to me. And this is coming from a guy who hasn't upgraded in a decade. When I find one I like I tend to stick with it. The bows that stood out for me were the Obsession I mentioned and the Mathews Traverse. The speed to hand shock and noise edge goes to the Obsession. While I think the carryability, and overall shootability would go to mathews. The PSE Evoke and Hoyts RX3 were both nice, the prime CT5 I had high hopes for,, but it let me down a bit. Still shoots nice, but didnt scream "im the one" to me. Elites offerings were a bit short ATA for my preference, but still shot smooth and quiet. Expected from elite.  I don't ever shoot the Bowtechs personally so have no reference for them. 

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
Blackveltbowhunter,

Thanks for the info

I liked the Traverse, shot great but so top heavy to carry. I didnt shoot the FXL but did shoot the FX6 and FX7 and both were great. I would like to find an Expedition and maybe even an APA to shoot

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 10:30:52 AM »
I'm shooting a bowtech realm X

It's a beast, but there's a couple issues I don't like.  One is that it's heavier than I wanted and it grabs brush.  Most bows I've have I can weave through the brush and do fine but this thing reaches out and grabs brush like nobody's business.  Now I use a bow sling.

The red arrows are where I have brush troubles the most, it's filled with bark and is roughing up the string cable there too. 

As a former trad hunter you're going to miss how well that stick slides through the brush  :twocents:

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2018, 10:29:22 PM »
KF

Weird that picks up brush. Those are nice shooting bows

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 10:37:44 PM »
KF

Weird that picks up brush. Those are nice shooting bows

It's grabby on brush no denying that, and it's heavier than my bro's bowtech.  My old bow was heavy and I wanted to shed weight but it didn't shed much  :chuckle:

other than those 2 annoyances it's a fantastic bow, a good do everyhing bow.  I went in to buy the latest greatest carbon offering and came home with the realm x

here's the particulars, I still haven't ran it though a chrono
https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,228515.msg3046154.html#msg3046154

Offline stillJBR

• Pilgrim
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 10:03:56 PM »
Great thread.  I was a compound guy back in 2008-2012 (Martin Firecat) then my boys wanted to try trad and we made the switch for the past 6-7 years. At the time, I decided to go all in and sold my compound. I love my Toelke Long bow! So light and beautiful, yes, a breeze to carry in the woods.  Now I've decided to get back to compound to increase my opportunity at success (I'm keeping my longbow!) so its back to the research game and relearning the compound game again. 

I shot the Realm X and Matthews Traverse today and enjoyed both. Forgot how crazy fast modern compounds are.  At 6'03" I have a 30" - 30.5" DL and prefer an ATA in 33-34" range.  I think I leaned towards the Realm X but I probably couldn't tell you exactly why. 

After reading here about Lance and Obsession Archery after dinner tonight, I realized he's pretty close and gave him a call.  He told me to swing by and shoot some bows (it was 7:30 pm).  I spent about 2 hrs over there and got to shoot a Hoyt RX-1 and several Obsession bows.  My favorite was the FXL, but the FX7 was a close second. Super quiet, very fast, dead in the hands.  The Turmoil was a bit short ATA length for me I think, but still a decent option as a mid-range.  Lance was very helpful and knowledgeable and took all the time I wanted to shoot and chat bows.  I can say that I'm not going to spend the $1,700+ on a new Hoyt, but they are nice.   Just don't need to spend that much when I still gotta get quality accessories. 

I still wanna shoot some Elite bows too.  I'm okay with spending a $1,000 on a 2019 bow since its likely the last bow I will buy and they are amazingly efficient.  I turn 50 in a few months so I guess that's justification enough for me to get what I want. 
The member formally known as JBR

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 05:31:15 AM »
stilljbr,

Lance is a good guy for sure

I'm going down to sportco Saturday to shoot a few, Xpedition, Elite, Prime etc. and see if I like any of them. My son was shooting e new Prime last night next to his Obsession and said it was a really smooth, quiet and accurate bow but compared to his Fixation was very slow

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 12:41:38 PM »
Where's this bow shop in Bothell?

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 07:17:10 AM »
D ROCK

Cant remember the address but his name is Lance 425-485-2697. New shop out of his garage, nice guy and he has all of the 2019 line up

Offline stillJBR

• Pilgrim
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 04:58:11 PM »
2404 168 St SE Bothell
The member formally known as JBR

Offline shallowforks

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 05:48:35 PM »
Been hunting with a stick for nearly 30 years. Due to shoulder and finger issues, I am switching to a compound. I bought an entry level but already would like to upgrade.

I'm looking for opinions/advice on a new bow with criteria in this order. Any make or model made from 2017 on and any advice on quivers. I'm sticking with a HHA Optimixer Ultra so quiver fit is tough

1) Quiet
2) Accurate
3) Carry ability ( balances/light)
4) Speed

Thanks in advance for any input
Made the switch from recurve in 2015. I am a HUGE fan of the new Mathews bows. I started out with the No-Cam, loved it and now have the HALON, love it! I would recommend any of their bows in this line. the halons, triax or the new vertex. For switching to from something as beautifully simple as a trad bow to a clunky, techy compound this was as seamless a switch as I could have hoped for. The zero knock travel and ease of tuning make it easier on the trad bow brain to comprehend. Hit me up if you have any questions or are on the east side and want to shoot. I shoot 610ish grain finished wt arrows that are tipped with 300 grain steel force traditional two blade single bevel braodheads. Awesome! I used to run the zwickey no mercy's but found the steelforce to be more user friendly
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 09:43:00 AM by shallowforks »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 07:21:43 PM »
I watched some Grace, Camo and Lace hunting show and they were all shooting this bow I didn't recognize

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 08:19:35 PM »
Gear head bow I think.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 08:58:29 PM »
Gear head bow I think.

bam!  good call

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2018, 07:32:04 PM »
I went to Sportco today and shot a bunch, Ryan was really patient and taught me a few things ( more than a few ) :tup:. Shot the Elite, Prime, Xpedition, Bowtech, Mathews and PSE

Loved the draw cycle and grip on the Evolve but it didnt hold well for me

Loved the grip on Xpedition the best and held steady and it was fast but didnt like the draw cycle as well

The Realm SR6 was pretty sweet, nice grip, smooth draw, held steady

After that I went and shot an Athens Summit. Nice grip, really smooth draw, quiet and held steady. Not as fast( - 10 fps ) as the other 3 but a really nice bow

Right now I need to shoot them again, its a toss up Between the Xpedition Xcentric, the Realm SR6 and the Athens

Offline J.Brower

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 09:14:04 PM »
I’ve got a prime Rize I just posted in the classifieds here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ljsommer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2018, 10:46:36 PM »
The heck with all the generic big box names (that infect most of the local archery shops around here). Order a Darton Archery Maverick II from the factory, get a set a Sidehill custom strings put on (out of Kalama), put a MBG sight on, a QAD rest, and you’ll be set.

I am in the market for a "grown-up" bow in February (shooting a Diamond Infinite Edge right now and going to pass it down to my son) and I am a novice but want to buy for an investment - IE: Not scrimping this time. I was looking at Matthews vs Hoyt. Mistake?

Offline TommyH

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2018, 10:51:19 PM »
Earlier this summer I got a “new to me” 2017 Hoyt Defiant pro 34, came loaded with a React Pro sight, quiver, trophy taker drop away rest, stabilizer, 9 Decent new carbon arrows, Hoyt soft case, and a “block” broadhead/field point target for 750$. Shoots great and fits me better than my older Hoyt I had. You can find good deals if you keep at it! :tup:

Offline ljsommer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2018, 10:56:40 PM »
Earlier this summer I got a “new to me” 2017 Hoyt Defiant pro 34, came loaded with a React Pro sight, quiver, trophy taker drop away rest, stabilizer, 9 Decent new carbon arrows, Hoyt soft case, and a “block” broadhead/field point target for 750$. Shoots great and fits me better than my older Hoyt I had. You can find good deals if you keep at it! :tup:

Wow. That's a screaming deal. I know nothing about components but I've been told that even if I get a top of the line new bow I should be looking at replacing component pieces.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2018, 07:16:55 AM »
I looked at a lot of bow and last year at the top of my list came the Mathews Halon 32 and the Carbon Defiant. I wanted to like Prime, but I didnt like the letdown.

I'm still looking, but if you go to archerytalk and search their classifieds there are some great deals that come up.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »
I think I'm buying an Xpedition new but older model Xcentric 7. Nice fast ,quiet bow and light and the price is amazing

Offline Greg Mullins

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2019, 08:17:30 PM »
I’ve been working in a pro shop for 8 years and the quietest bow I’ve ever heard is the Mathews Traverse.. I am a Hoyt shooter and have been for years but I gotta give credit where it’s due. The only draw back is man it’s heavy but I’ve been using carbon bows for so long it might just be me. I like the Traverse so much I got my first Mathews in over 10 years. If your looking for a great bow at a better price range shoot the Mission MXR and gets some limbsaver dampners for the limbs and for the money you can’t beat it .

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2019, 09:18:53 AM »
Dont over look athens. They will run with flagship bows of the big companies and a lower price.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal