collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3nails trapping 2018-19  (Read 25279 times)

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
Re: 3nails trapping 2018-19
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2019, 02:07:26 PM »
 Nice tom.
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline 3nails

• Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2019, 02:08:01 PM »
Amadeo

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2019, 02:15:33 PM »
TThat is awesome! Nice work

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2019, 02:50:40 PM »
I see you pulling in these beaver,  I've been going at this for about 3 weeks and can't seem to catch one, what's the trick? I've got one swim through and one single door treadle trap.
 :bash:
I wish you were closer, I'd show you. I'm a channel trapper. I always set in their runs.
Your videos super make me want to get back out there. First few years I was pretty successful. Had one bad experience with some locals that kinda made me "iffy" about what I was doing. Where Im from, basically EVERYWHERE looks like where your at in your videos.
First trapped animal ever, was a mink 3xl mink. Ive caught one beaver, tons of muskrat, and two mink so far. One live - Made alittle noise then shut up when I tossed the cage in the water to go check the rest of my traps.

That "bad" experience I had left a sour taste in my mouth. I have lots of traps I've collected and built over the 5 years since I started trapping. Some really nice guillotine style ones and some with spring loaded doors. I had about 14 traps out on one specific line in a swampy area kind of like your video.
Public land, fairly rural with some local houses scattered around.
I had all these traps set, I came back the next morning and notice one of my traps pulled out of the water and set on the trail..
Went to check it out and I notice about 10 of my traps all pulled out of the water and set in a pile.
First of all, how the heck did this person know where all my sets were? Some of these were burred in water and grass and still were found.
After that I was kinda happy that they didn't just steal my traps but man its an uneasy feeling knowing someone messed with that much of your stuff.
Havent really had the guts to set my traps back out since.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2019, 02:54:41 PM »
Great cat congrats

Offline 3nails

• Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2019, 05:43:54 PM »
I see you pulling in these beaver,  I've been going at this for about 3 weeks and can't seem to catch one, what's the trick? I've got one swim through and one single door treadle trap.
I wish you were closer, I'd show you. I'm a channel trapper. I always set in their runs.
Your videos super make me want to get back out there. First few years I was pretty successful. Had one bad experience with some locals that kinda made me "iffy" about what I was doing. Where Im from, basically EVERYWHERE looks like where your at in your videos.
First trapped animal ever, was a mink 3xl mink. Ive caught one beaver, tons of muskrat, and two mink so far. One live - Made alittle noise then shut up when I tossed the cage in the water to go check the rest of my traps.

That "bad" experience I had left a sour taste in my mouth. I have lots of traps I've collected and built over the 5 years since I started trapping. Some really nice guillotine style ones and some with spring loaded doors. I had about 14 traps out on one specific line in a swampy area kind of like your video.
I had all these traps set, I came back the next morning and notice one of my traps pulled out of the water and set on the trail..
Went to check it out and I notice about 10 of my traps all pulled out of the water and set in a pile.
First of all, how the heck did this person know where all my sets were? Some of these were burred in water and grass and still were found.
After that I was kinda happy that they didn't just steal my traps but man its an uneasy feeling knowing someone messed with that much of your stuff.
Sounds like a bit of a turf war.

Trapping is a lot like life in general. You can have a really bad day but with just a few subtle changes you can have great success the next day. No matter how bad of a day I have on the trapline I have renewed hope every morning.

Still plenty of season left. Set a trap! And post some pics. All trappers love seeing others success and failures because we all have both daily.
Amadeo

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2019, 07:30:04 PM »

Trapping is a lot like life in general. You can have a really bad day but with just a few subtle changes you can have great success the next day. No matter how bad of a day I have on the trapline I have renewed hope every morning.

Still plenty of season left. Set a trap! And post some pics. All trappers love seeing others success and failures because we all have both daily.
Seconded,  :yeah:post it up smossy let's see some catches!

Offline 3nails

• Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2019, 07:30:54 PM »
 Mink from today.

Amadeo

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2019, 07:49:50 PM »

Not a bad idea, I bought my trapping license this year and then broke my hand real bad a few days later so I figured that was a waste of money.

What, trapping seasons over at the end of the month right? "Without me looking"
Not a bad idea though. With as cold as its been latley and as late in the season it is, still might be able to get my hands on a few good furs.
I have some good spots that are less than 5 minutes from the house. You know what, Tomorrow Im gonna go dig out and re straighten all my traps and atleast go out and set a few. Thanks for the encouragement. If I do ill make sure to start my own thread.

Offline 3nails

• Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2019, 08:01:08 PM »

Not a bad idea, I bought my trapping license this year and then broke my hand real bad a few days later so I figured that was a waste of money.

What, trapping seasons over at the end of the month right? "Without me looking"
Not a bad idea though. With as cold as its been latley and as late in the season it is, still might be able to get my hands on a few good furs.
I have some good spots that are less than 5 minutes from the house. You know what, Tomorrow Im gonna go dig out and re straighten all my traps and atleast go out and set a few. Thanks for the encouragement. If I do ill make sure to start my own thread.
You've got 2 1/2 months left. Get after it!
Amadeo

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2019, 08:09:30 PM »
Jeesh till the end of march then? Dag, Time to get out. Draggin becky and the dog with me tomorrow and gonna try to atleast get one solid line ran.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2019, 08:41:34 PM »
Good luck bud

Offline Buck457

• Tracker
  • Groups: Washington Freedivers
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2019, 10:03:08 PM »

sasquatch is always watching...
With greatness comes great sacrifice.

Offline 3nails

• Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2019, 05:47:22 AM »
 Reset some beaver traps this week and they are producing well. Hopefully they'll translate to some more cats!
Amadeo

Offline 3nails

• Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »
 Slam dunk set.
Amadeo