collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What's a good day? (pictires being added  (Read 1984 times)

Offline fast1

• Team: Dog Scat
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • one shot,make it count!
  • Groups: rmef,nra,nwtra,nwma,wspa.
What's a good day? (pictires being added
« on: December 09, 2018, 09:14:26 PM »
There will be a better story tomorrow. Had a buddy drive o we do I could treat him to two dry stands off the bat, the day lit up after that! Out of the park with a double followed by a single, a single & a single! I will let him put up some pictures. At the end of the day we had called in 7, shot at 6, 5 down & 8 seen for the day! And, And I got a free cup of coffee out of the deal! :IBCOOL: Had a great day with a good buddy, that makes a pretty good day of hunting. There will be more added tomorrow, I don't want to let the cat out of the bag son e he's better at telling stories then I. Not all hunts are this successful or memorable, but everytime we get together things seem to go pretty well in the field.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 07:13:38 PM by fast1 »
Take'em boys!

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: What's a good day?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 10:12:50 AM »
I think i might know who're talking about  :)
Good day for sure, its gona be hard to beat that.

Offline fast1

• Scout
Re: What's a good day?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 01:57:46 PM »
Your guess is probably correct Pashok23 is probably right. That will be a tuff one. It almost tops the day of seeing 40 dogs & not getting a one.
Take'em boys!

Offline fast1

• Scout
Re: What's a good day? (pictires being added
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 08:11:51 PM »
So I messaged my buddy Wolftrapper & see if he's up for a road trip to my area. We try to get together a cpl times a year so he loads up & heads my way. So we get to our first stand & the wind picks up a little but we call anyway. I've had great success at this spot but dead. We load up & go a cpl miles up the road, sign was everywhere by a feedlot. Another dead set. I had a buddy drive hour to me & no dogs, I'm starting to take it personal now. On this set Im debating on doing a drive threw on a private piece I have access to or where I can get this guy into some dogs. I decided to go to the private land quick & as I'm driving he has the stories just a rolling when he decides to look out his window & not mine & sees coyote #1! Panic sets in as the coyote gets to moving to a new county & on this piece there's one tree for a mile in all directions so I tell wolftrapper to get out & call & I will come back in a few. He seems quite offended for me telling him to get out but he does reluctantly & I head the mile & figure I will do a quick stand. As I get out of the pick up a horse decides to follow me & proceeded to stand about 10' behind me the hole set. I thought I heard a couple shots but with lakes around it could be duckers, but I had my figures. So I drive back to get my trapper buddy & he's standing in a dry canal with a look on his face like " :dunno: "! He reaches down & grabs a coyote & throws it up to me & then does the same with another! A double! And he didn't want to get out of the pick up! He said that he rose up from under the tree & saw one headed to him in a trot & one holding back. After he shot the first the 2nd one followed suit. I'm starting to feel better about getting him into some. So we head down to where my horse friend was & I figure what the heck I'm here so I drive e a little further & give him the lay of the land & we start stand 4. He sees it as it came over the hill but I didn't see it as it was at my 3:30,but when the dog started in with a challenge howl I got ta watchin. This dog was pissed!! He would challenge & then start bouncing his front end off the ground! Now I believe in my buddy wolftrapper but he's gettin older so I get ready to do a quick draw not knowi g if this dogs gonna eat him or mate him! Well the coyote parallels him trying catch a sent & stops about 125yds out &..... job done! 3 dogs,4 stands :IBCOOL:  I ask if he wants to go a little further in and I get the "I Know what I would do" so we head a little further in. Stand 5 was dead which with the story telling & shot earlier,ok. So wolftrapper is wanting to go further towards a big draw so we walk on & get to the break of the hill & set up. Him being my guest I try putting him where I think they are gonna come in from. This set was my turn as one pops over the hill about 75yds out I wait till it looks the other way to do my swing but I got busted. First shot was off handed running & my 2nd was about 2"s of head off hand.Nothing but it cuts back & wolftrapper gets on it but it's got some yardage & away it goes without a shot. Stand 6 got results but no fur. So we head back to the pick up & head for a different spot that normally produces something. On the way out, the spot where he did the drop stand there is yet another coyote out in the field, we didn't get a shot on it but definitely a nice sized one. Stand 7 I park in the road & we walk to stand & I put him on point. He got to calling & about 5 minutes in here comes this coyote from the pick up. (I should have waited there to save packing) About a 100yd shot & it's a bang flop. When he came up, wolftrapper seemed kind of smug like I missed & kept asking where's it was at! So I take him down & it's one of last year's pups but nice. So I decided to go further in as I'm telling him stories of my last hunt at this spot as we drive threw the rock & Sage. We get there & about 5 minutes  in I hear his triple duce  kick off followed by a real pup distress as I look over & here is another 1yr old pup doin the tail chase. Stand 8 & we are on our way to getting #6 for him with 5 down already. So as we're headed threw a town he offers to get me a coffee, now I'm thinking this guy's going all out & that he's pretty swell if he's willing to do that! We get our coffee & head to stand 9. After about 15 minutes I'm ready to move on so I stand up & look over at wolftrapper & he draws down on something. I look over & see number 6 heading in. When he hits a little dipression I ease back down & draw up in case he doesn't offer wolftrapper the shot. Just as I get on him he starts coming again so I swing towards where he should come out & I'm sure wolftrapper does the same. By this time the wind changes,busted & back out the same tracks he heads only stopping when he's out about 300yds behind the Sage & weaving threw it all the way.  :hello: Last stand 10, this stand is HOT! I've takeen more from this stand then any other. 9 coyotes in one winter a few years back. So I give him the good point & I roll around the hill from him & set up. He starts ta call-in & at first the wind is blowing west, a couple minutes into it & now, it's going north, wait, heck now, it's blowing east! Need this to say this stand was blown up. Well in 10 stands we did 50% and I'm not complaining, but I sure would have like to have got him number 6. I think it was at number 3 I started hearing (I'm gonna be up all night skinning"! Well I  feel for ya buddy, but it was worth it. So to me this was a good day,well one of the best for "calling" in coyotes, but with a good friend & a great guy all around. Thanks for coming over wolftrapper & we will have to hit it again soon!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:29:20 PM by fast1 »
Take'em boys!

Offline fast1

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 08:36:13 PM »
A good day
Take'em boys!

Offline wolftrapper

• Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Pheasants Forever NRA
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 08:52:09 PM »
Great write up, Fast 1....I started getting excited all over again, reading it!

I really appreciate your hospitality.  I can't recall a better day of coyote hunting, and boys, this guy has some coyote hunting real estate, which he worked hard to get! 

Thanks again, buddy!

Offline pashok23

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 08:58:06 PM »
Awesome :tup:

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 09:35:09 PM »
Excellent calling and shooting. You guys put up fur? Sell them in the round? Good work no matter  :tup:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 05:26:04 AM »
That's awesome
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 07:05:23 AM »
Heck of a day! Hand calls or Ecaller?

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 07:17:45 AM »
Looks like a Great day! :tup:

Nice looking dogs- thanks for sharing the story!
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline kim204

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »
Way to put them down  8)

Offline fast1

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 04:14:11 PM »
It was a good day & worth sharing. Think that's the most writing I've done since my 2nd year of college! Yes the fur was put up, on the stretchers now,. As far as calls, we tried the Ecall the first two sets & then went to hand calls. Combination of screaming Comanche & a gut shot chicken! 🐔 I have no clue what he was trying to emulate but if it works, roll with it!
Take'em boys!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw