collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GMU 638 deer archery  (Read 5320 times)

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
GMU 638 deer archery
« on: December 10, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
So I was out driving around in the Oly Pen yesterday legally hunting for Christmas trees (permitted) and it got me thinking about hunting in the peninsula again near the foothills. I started checking maps, onx, and harvest numbers and I found 638 which looks to have some elevation gains. This appeals to me because:

1.) I like a workout
2.) I like the idea of getting away from other hunters
3.) I may be a terrible hunter but I do enjoy just getting into cool territory

I see that as of 2018, 638 is archery-any buck from 11/21 - 12/15.
So I looked at harvest numbers:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/harvest/2017/reports/deer_gmu_all.php

Archery: 24 hunters with 0 deer harvested?
Modern: 90 hunters with 7 deer harvested?

What gives in this GMU? Surely it's not that barren? is it just really brutal terrain?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: GMU 638 deer archery
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 11:08:03 AM »
Just speculating, but just like anywhere else in Western Washington that is National Forest, there is almost zero logging in the last 20 to 30 years, which makes for almost zero habitat that's favorable for blacktail deer.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »
That GMU used to be very good for both deer and elk; I hunted it in the late 80s/early 90s with good results.  At some point early to the mid 90s, the big game pops seemed to drop drastically and as far as I know, has not recovered. 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline TheGreenHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 01:19:52 PM »
there is tiny little sliver of Green Diamond Resource Company owned land in GMU 638 that looks like it gets logged.  From their website, it looks like you can access that tiny portion.

https://www.greendiamond.com/recreation/washington-lands/forms/GDR%20Public%20Access%20Lands%209-11-18.pdf

They have more extensive lands in GMU 636 in addition to the NFS land.  From the regs, it looks like 636 is open to the end of the year for archery any-deer.  I was thinking of heading there to take a look since the only thing i've been able to locate in the last 2 weeks are does in a buck only unit.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
Bobcat was close to the truth. Not a lot of logging in that unit. But also not a lot of access unless you like to hike.  The unit is mostly virgin huge timber in very steep terrain and there is a LOT of blowdown. The storm in 2007 wreaked havoc in that unit and without logging, it hasn't been cleaned up. Also, back in the 70s and early 80s you could drive up the Quinault Ridge road, but it has been gated for a long time. Back when it was open, a lot of people hunted from the ridge road down to the south shore road.  Much easier than hunting up from below, then having to walk out to a ride. Then they also made the valley bottom along the Quinault River a Master Hunter only area. A lot of that bottom land is private property though.  Most of the forest service trails have been cleared from blowdown now, but it can be rough if you get off the trails.

It never was a great unit for deer, but was exceptional for elk if you were willing to work for them. There were some whopper blacktails in there, just not a big population. You usually ran into them during elk season.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »
Bobcat is spot on, with no to little logging, it is a barren food source, people may not like clear cuts, but they cause regeneration of food sources for critters just as wildfires do. We stop mother natures attemp to regenerate and on NFS we are stopping both forms, no new undergrowth or young trees.
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 02:17:20 PM »
Bobcat is spot on, with no to little logging, it is a barren food source, people may not like clear cuts, but they cause regeneration of food sources for critters just as wildfires do. We stop mother natures attemp to regenerate and on NFS we are stopping both forms, no new undergrowth or young trees.

I agree to a point. But, all that you point out was true back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s when success rates in this unit were higher. I think that the more limited access and blowdown helped push it over the edge.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 04:59:45 PM »
There are many easier areas to hunt (animal number wise) that will still provide a nice hike in the woods if you're happy harvesting a doe.  I've never been in 638, but I'd bet that while there's not a lot of deer in there, there are surely some monster bucks very happy to call that area home.  Areas of blowdowns  and natural/true old growth forests like Sitka Blacktail mentioned open the canopy, allow sunlight to hit the forest floor, and creates food sources that attract our furry friends.  Good luck hunting blowdowns though!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline brandon.b.sanders

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 05:50:29 PM »
I was scouting around there yesterday. I'm thinking that this will be next year's challenge. While I can definitely understand the argument that there is only a little food for blacktail, as I was wondering what they would be eating on the entire time I was there, I feel like the remote   nature, rugged terrain, and thick vegetation is likely a recipe for some monster deer (albeit much harder to locate). A rule of thumb from where I'm from; "thicker the swamp, bigger the deer".

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 07:06:37 PM »
Brandon, did you hike the trail? If so you saw all the blow down that had to be cut out of the trail to reopen it.  But a large portion of the unit has that blow down and it was never cleaned up.  Wright Canyon and Haas Canyon were devastated. Same out in the Willaby Flats. There are many places you can only get around on the Forest Service trails as they have opened them back up with chain saws.

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 07:21:34 PM »
USNF has done a lot of variable density thinning in 638.   Hunt those areas.  There is deer in 638.

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 08:16:00 PM »
Yeah we saw it. I climbed over, around, and under several trees. Midway up the Pete's Creek side a creek cut the trail in half and washed it out.  On one hand I get why that would make the area less desirable for hunters, but on the other, it also screens out alot of competition. 24 guys braved that place with bows this year.....that's less than a platoon.... and there's alot of land up there.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 11:56:20 PM »
This video seems like it was meant for this thread on 638. -  Scouting tactics for a new area. 

start_radio=1&list=RDQMpZmtwGWcoOA
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 12:13:15 AM »
  On one hand I get why that would make the area less desirable for hunters, but on the other, it also screens out alot of competition. 24 guys braved that place with bows this year.....that's less than a platoon.... and there's alot of land up there.

I would bet most of them were Master Hunters hunting down in the flats between the River and the start of the hills. And none of them scored.

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 05:28:17 AM »
  On one hand I get why that would make the area less desirable for hunters, but on the other, it also screens out alot of competition. 24 guys braved that place with bows this year.....that's less than a platoon.... and there's alot of land up there.

I would bet most of them were Master Hunters hunting down in the flats between the River and the start of the hills. And none of them scored.
You are probably right. If you consider the options that area presents to a hunter, those flats are really attractive. The bottom land would let ample amounts of food to grow and the shooting would be much clearer. However,  since they are limited in size, the available food   would be consumed early in the season and force the deer higher. Which would explain the low numbers of deer actually killed. No one wants to hike up to hunt.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 06:12:15 AM »
Really this is going to come down to sign - let's go get boots on the ground and find out how many animals are actually in there. I volunteer =)

• Pilgrim
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 06:58:35 AM »
This video seems like it was meant for this thread on 638. -  Scouting tactics for a new area. 

start_radio=1&list=RDQMpZmtwGWcoOA
That's some awesome advice

Offline Grant4068

• Pilgrim
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »
I been hunting deer and elk in that unit for a few seasons, usually up the humptulips.  I killed one spike last year(rifle) but didn't even see a single deer this year.  Had one spike and a cougar on my trail cam in September.  Then I put my cam back up on what looked like an intersection of heavily used game trails, left it up there for like 6 weeks, and didn't have ANYTHING walk by my cam in that period.  There are animals up there, but there are very very few in my estimation.  I would move on from there, I know I am. 

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 11:59:55 PM »
One less hunter ruining your spot!   :chuckle:

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 01:00:30 AM »
we hunted it for the first time on the last weekend. Saw very little sign. Ended up coming home disappointed

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 06:29:50 AM »
Very little sign isn't "no sign"

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »
To be fair, I spent a ton of time in 454 this season and there's also VERY little deer sign in there, compared to the acreage. Still, over 100 deer were pulled out of there in 2017.
I've kind of given up on actually killing any animals in WA and am instead focusing on just getting into some really cool terrain in pursuit of (the idea of) them.
This looks pretty cool to me.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 01:40:25 PM »
Nothing wrong with going for a good hike.

My gut tells me you're just in the wrong spots or not recognizing what you're seeing as deer sign.  454 should have plenty of deer and fresh sign.  For example, if I was archery hunting there, I'd try this spot on DNR lands delineated by the light blue line.  My gut tells me there's quite a few deer coming down from above (in the evenings) to feed in that old cut.  The place probably has a ton of vehicle traffic during modern firearm, but it might be very worthwhile to scout this spot, or a spot with similar characteristics, this winter through mid-summer for the early archery season.  Perhaps you've already been there.  If so, it may be worth another look.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »
Thanks for the tip - I know 454 is huge, I've been closer to the Issaquah area of 454. I will go scout that out.
I sent a PM with a more specific area that I've spent my time.

• Pilgrim
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2019, 09:02:30 AM »
Any of you guys that have hunted this area before, have you been to Elk or Bunch Lake?

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »
Any of you guys that have hunted this area before, have you been to Elk or Bunch Lake?

Been there.  They are in the park so can not hunt there.  Not really a fishing destination if you are curious about that.  Still a cool area.

• Pilgrim
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 10:13:45 AM »
Ah! Didn't catch that it was over the boundary. Looking for places up there that offer deer something but hard for people to get to.

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2019, 10:55:52 AM »
Just get off the road and you will not see many people.  For the most part only the main lines are open.  There are several large bottoms along the hump.  Your are hunting Black-tailed deer in the brush.  Covering ground is not recommended.   Get into a likely spot and hunt slower than slow.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 10:02:31 PM »
Just get off the road and you will not see many people.  For the most part only the main lines are open.  There are several large bottoms along the hump.  Your are hunting Black-tailed deer in the brush.  Covering ground is not recommended.   Get into a likely spot and hunt slower than slow.

:yeah:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal