collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Waterfowler's update  (Read 2304 times)

Offline kodiak10

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
New Waterfowler's update
« on: December 13, 2018, 10:47:40 AM »
Just wanted to give everyone an update after all the awesome advice that was provided to me. Yesterday felt like a huge milestone day for me in my duck hunting career.

My first 2 days duck hunting in Western Washington were very humbling to say the least. I did not fire a single shot those 2 days. Several ducks did come close to my decoy spread but I was seriously caught off guard by their speed and wariness. Several times they were on a flight path straight towards me, I got too excited and moved, thereby alerting the ducks. My lack of bring home ducks was not a bummer for me as I was blown away by watching the sunrise over the wetlands and the beauty of the environment.

I went out late last week with a hunting buddy and got my first ever duck in Western Washington. While walking along the edge of a slough, I saw a greenhead flying directly towards me.  When he was just about over me, I fired a single shot and he fell instantly. My buddy marked the spot, and I did a 20 minute bushwack through the reeds to the spot where he fell and retrieved the duck. I was ecstatic, what a beautiful bird!

Yesterday was the first day where I felt that my calling and decoying was actually starting to work. I was hiding in some reeds and let out a hail call on some far away ducks, and to my surprise a hen mallard came flying full speed over the reeds right at me. I missed 2 shots at about 20 yards as she got spooked and started furiously beating her wings trying to gain altitude. I can't believe I missed that shot, but it felt so rewarding to have my calling actually pay off.

I am looking forward to the rest of the season, and improving my techniques. Thanks everyone for all the great advice you shot my way!

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
Re: New Waterfowler's update
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
Well done man!

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »
Congrats. it ever gets old to see the calling lure them in. just wait until a group of Teals or Widgeon buzz you, their fast.
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »
My sympathies...you are hooked! 

Congratulations.

Offline Cannakoi

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 06:47:36 PM »
If you are ever looking for another person to go with I'm looking for people to try and join. Getting tired of going alone gets a bit boring. I have a couple dz mallard floaters, 3 dz goose decoys to add plus a canoe with a trolling motor. I totally understand the feeling of your first ducks and when the tactics finally work for you, last year was my first waterfowling. Keep it up man.

Just wanted to give everyone an update after all the awesome advice that was provided to me. Yesterday felt like a huge milestone day for me in my duck hunting career.

My first 2 days duck hunting in Western Washington were very humbling to say the least. I did not fire a single shot those 2 days. Several ducks did come close to my decoy spread but I was seriously caught off guard by their speed and wariness. Several times they were on a flight path straight towards me, I got too excited and moved, thereby alerting the ducks. My lack of bring home ducks was not a bummer for me as I was blown away by watching the sunrise over the wetlands and the beauty of the environment.

I went out late last week with a hunting buddy and got my first ever duck in Western Washington. While walking along the edge of a slough, I saw a greenhead flying directly towards me.  When he was just about over me, I fired a single shot and he fell instantly. My buddy marked the spot, and I did a 20 minute bushwack through the reeds to the spot where he fell and retrieved the duck. I was ecstatic, what a beautiful bird!

Yesterday was the first day where I felt that my calling and decoying was actually starting to work. I was hiding in some reeds and let out a hail call on some far away ducks, and to my surprise a hen mallard came flying full speed over the reeds right at me. I missed 2 shots at about 20 yards as she got spooked and started furiously beating her wings trying to gain altitude. I can't believe I missed that shot, but it felt so rewarding to have my calling actually pay off.

I am looking forward to the rest of the season, and improving my techniques. Thanks everyone for all the great advice you shot my way!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 08:55:37 PM »
Join the NW Chapter of Washington Waterfowl Association!2nd Tuesday of the month at the Conway firehall 7pm.

Lots of good speakers and guys. I joined and through conservation wor tou get to meet folks and learn the public areas.

http://wwa.shuttlepod.org

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand