collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Optics advice  (Read 1388 times)

Offline phx2sea

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Optics advice
« on: December 13, 2018, 11:25:31 PM »
Hey guys, I know its early but why not ask now. I will have enough points for a Utah muzzleloader deer tag this upcoming year. I've been looking at different optics to put on my CVA Optima v2 and have come down to a couple options. 1. Having a more traditional scope something in the 2-8x32 range. 2. An AR style scope 1-4 or 1-6 powered scope. 3. Aimpoint PRO red dot. You can leave the optic turned on, leave it on and adjust the dot to the surrounding light. My uncle who has hunted that area and only really hunts with muzzleloaders uses an aimpoint, he is very successful with his set up and has been for a long time. My other uncle and a cousin use more of a traditional rifle scope 3-9 or 4-12. I want more of a lower end magnification for close up shots. What do you guys think?

Offline Myrtle Creek Inc.

• God Bless
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Muzzle-Loaders.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/MuzzleLoaderscom
    • www.Muzzle-Loaders.com
Re: Optics advice
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »
A lot of what you're asking is going to come down to personal preference. All three of the options that you have outlined are great and will work well. I'm guessing your uncle first started using the Aimpoint when there were magnification restrictions in place. Now that you can use any magnification, I think it opens the discussion up for some different optics. Personally, I've never had the need for anything less than 3x, but when I'm hunting in tighter situations, I will usually have a see-through base on my guns, whether that be a rifle or muzzleloader. (My 30-30 and Accura both have see-through bases.) The red dot is a great optic for faster target acquisition, but you're going to suffer on the longer range shots. I know some areas in Utah allow for some longer shots, so if that's the area you hunt, I would lean towards the 4-12.

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 08:23:19 PM »
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/shotgun-scopes/ultimateslam-3-9x40mm

This scope is made for a muzzleloader and can handle the recoil. a lot of cheaper scope you will knock your parallax out with the heavy recoil. The scope is easy to use and set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Offline reelamin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 08:45:38 PM »
How far is the maximum shot you will take?  Everything you mention will work just fine.  I would go with what I was quickest and allowed the needed precision for you at your maximum yardage. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]