collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Opening a can of worms....  (Read 11957 times)

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
Re: Opening a can of worms....
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »
I’m getting almost 3300 FPS out of my Rbros 28 Nosler with 180 ELD-M.   Thing is a Lazer beam!

I’m gonna try the 6.5 prc in the Christensen arms ridgeline this year.  I have an extra Nightforce NXS laying around and think it will make a pretty good mountain rifle.

So many cool calibers to play with now - especially with all the quality bullets available.  The 300 win with 215’s is another combo I would look hard at.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2018, 01:15:01 PM »
I think 28 nosler is at the top of list as of now with 6.5 right behind it. My cuz has a 6.5x284, 28 and 30 nosler....we're going to go do some shooting after the holidays we'll see where I stand after shooting them
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2018, 01:26:20 PM »
Build the gun, then choose the chambering.

If you wanted a light weight (sub 9# ready to hunt) gun I wouldn't recommend any of the 338s. If you're thinking about a heavy gun (12# or more) I'd suggest going with a 300 Win Mag or larger. From there you need to decide what style of hunting you do the most. Are you going to setup on a hill side and glass a valley, or do you do a lot of still hunting in the timber and just want to be able to reach out when the opportunity presents itself?

Once you've decided what style of rifle to build you can start to pick the barrel length. If you spend much time in the timber or brush, a 28" barrel will drive you nuts. If you spend most of your time out in the open though a 28" barrel would work fine. I consider a 24" barrel long for my style of hunting and I lean more towards 20" barrels when I can.

After you've decided on a barrel length you can start to consider your caliber. If you want a 20" barrel but still want a legitimate 1000 yard hunting gun you'll need to go with a large cartridge to offset the velocity lost in the short barrel. That's when I'd start looking at the RUM sized cases. I'd be comfortable out to 1000 yards on elk with a 20" barreled 338 or 300 RUM with the right bullet.

The last consideration is your shooting budget. This is separate from the budget you have to build the gun. Some chamberings like the 300 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag are significantly less expensive to shoot and load for. If you plan to practice a lot then a 338 anything gets very expensive. The same goes for some of the other magnums like the Nosler or RUMs, brass gets expensive fast. Also remember to take into account barrel life if you get into the small bore (under 30 caliber) magnums. You can burn out a 7 Rem Mag in a year depending on your shooting style and schedule. A 300 Win Mag will go a few more rounds before it's smoked. I've seen a lot of guys lately jump on the Nosler (26 or 28 versions) bandwagon and then get caught off guard when their barrel won't hold MOA after 800-1000 rounds. Barrel life is just something that needs to be considered when you look at the true cost per shot of a gun.

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2018, 01:46:38 PM »
If I was gonna build a new one right this second it would be a 338 norma improved.  Overkill is underrated and 300gr bullets are king when it comes to sending it downtown.

I been eyeing that norma improved case. Good brass available (soon), feeds from a mag with the big long heavies, accurate...what's not to like?

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2018, 01:55:51 PM »
Pick a platform you like. 7mm mag. End of subject. :chuckle:

+1
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2018, 02:42:12 PM »
Yorke is spot on.
My 300 win is just over 9 lb done up and ready to hunt. I shoot it very well, but after lots of rounds it isn’t the most enjoyable thing ever. Not painful or anything, but lots of blast.  Mine has a 28 inch barrel and I’m sending 215 Berger’s at 2970. I’ve killed deer from 400 to 730 yards with it.  Those 28 noslers are cool and shoot  flat but the brass is spendy.  And they take unicorn powder too.  :chuckle:

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2018, 03:12:41 PM »
Yorke is spot on.
My 300 win is just over 9 lb done up and ready to hunt. I shoot it very well, but after lots of rounds it isn’t the most enjoyable thing ever. Not painful or anything, but lots of blast.  Mine has a 28 inch barrel and I’m sending 215 Berger’s at 2970. I’ve killed deer from 400 to 730 yards with it.  Those 28 noslers are cool and shoot  flat but the brass is spendy.  And they take unicorn powder too.  :chuckle:
if only n570 was as easy to find as unicorns :chuckle:

But I agree.  Get too light and they become difficult to shoot long.  That 9-10lb range seems like a great compromise between stability and carryability.  Is carryability a word?  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2018, 03:22:35 PM »
Yorke is spot on.
if only n570 was as easy to find as unicorns :chuckle:

But I agree.  Get too light and they become difficult to shoot long.  That 9-10lb range seems like a great compromise between stability and carryability.  Is carryability a word?  :chuckle:
Oh ya it’s a word. Plenty shootable at that weight but I would t want lighter. Even still it’s not like shooting a 13 lb 6mm.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2018, 03:22:49 PM »
I don't care about caryability  :chuckle: it's going to be mostly a sit and glass and if the opportunity arises I have it to shoot farther, my mark v unltralight goes with me on any hiking weighing in at 5 3/4lbs with out optics

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2018, 03:28:54 PM »
I don't care about caryability  :chuckle: it's going to be mostly a sit and glass and if the opportunity arises I have it to shoot farther, my mark v unltralight goes with me on any hiking weighing in at 5 3/4lbs with out optics

In that case, the only option is a 375 or larger. You'll need a minimum bullet weight of 350gr and at least 3100 fps. Your options start at the 375 CheyTac and just get better from there. :chuckle:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2018, 03:31:39 PM »

In that case, the only option is a 375 or larger. You'll need a minimum bullet weight of 350gr and at least 3100 fps. Your options start at the 375 CheyTac and just get better from there. :chuckle:
And make sure it doesn’t have some “sissy” short pistol barrel?  :chuckle:

30 inches plus.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2018, 04:30:59 PM »
Maybe I'll just get a 950 jdj  :chuckle:

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »

30 inches plus.

You’re all such bad shots that you need to be 10” closer to the target than I do. Long barrels are equivalent to a little league pitchers mound. :chuckle:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2018, 06:00:55 PM »

30 inches plus.

You’re all such bad shots that you need to be 10” closer to the target than I do. Long barrels are equivalent to a little league pitchers mound. :chuckle:
I need all the help I can get!

Offline Wild Bill

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2018, 07:03:17 AM »

30 inches plus.

:chuckle: :chuckle:
My wifes 308 has a 16.5 in pipe with a suppressor.... Hardest gun I've ever shot past 500 yards. Fun though. My work gun's are 18, 22, 26 and 28 inches not including the suppressors,  and they get noticeably less accurate as I go down in length.
I just shoot them and don't know a whole lot about weights of bullets to rates of twists other than the basics, but id guess shortening the pipe on a specific bullet weight is a good way to learn! lol.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]