collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Opening a can of worms....  (Read 11912 times)

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Opening a can of worms....
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2018, 11:13:28 AM »
You guys sure like your big .30, maybe after I shoot a blacktail with one I won't even have to gut it  :chuckle:

Nah, they aren't nearly as big as they may sound.

Back when I was in my 20's and for quite a few years after, the only rifle I owned was a 300 Weatherby and I used it for everything from coyotes to elk.  I shot a variety of different 180gr bullets in that gun and it didn't do any more damage to deer or elk than anything else, in fact there were times when I think there was less waste with it than some of the others guys I hunted with who were using smaller calibers and lighter bullets.

I tend to think a good size .30 cal is one of the best do all calibers there is and if I had to pick a one do all gun, it'd be a 30 cal something or other.  I really like the 30 Nosler, I just wish the brass was more like Lapua quality.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2018, 11:30:21 AM »
I just think I'm gonna need a bigger safe
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2018, 11:38:31 AM »
338 Lapua out of a 26" barrel on a 12lb platform.
If you're shooting elk long range, you're not really hunting so the weight won't be an issue. :devil:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2018, 06:55:07 PM »
338 Lapua out of a 26" barrel on a 12lb platform.
If you're shooting elk long range, you're not really hunting so the weight won't be an issue. :devil:

Fight's on!!!! :boxin:

:chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2018, 07:02:54 PM »
 :yike: I'm an archery elk guy so 50 yds is long range for me  :chuckle: I just want a rifle for just in case I decide to do the unthinkable and hunt elk with one  :chuckle:

Offline The Big Game Hunter

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/biggamehuntingadventures
    • Big Game Hunting Adventures
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2018, 07:48:22 AM »
I'm partial to the .300 Win Mag myself, but there is certainly something appealing in the  6.5mm calibers like the 6.5-284 and the .26 Nosler. Heck, even the 6.5 Creedmoor will get the job done without much recoil or muzzle blast.
http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/65-creedmoor-vs-308-winchester/

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2018, 09:57:18 AM »
:yike: I'm an archery elk guy so 50 yds is long range for me  :chuckle: I just want a rifle for just in case I decide to do the unthinkable and hunt elk with one  :chuckle:
:tup:
Best response you could have made.
I hunt archery elk and love it.
I hate watching these TV elk and deer hunts where they range 728yds across two draws and dial the turrets....Bang.....Flop.
If you want to pimp your product, don't do it on live game like nice bull elk.  Shoot the cattle at the meat lot from 700yds and high-five each other.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2018, 10:10:28 AM »
I'm partial to the .300 Win Mag myself, but there is certainly something appealing in the  6.5mm calibers like the 6.5-284 and the .26 Nosler. Heck, even the 6.5 Creedmoor will get the job done without much recoil or muzzle blast.
http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/65-creedmoor-vs-308-winchester/

.260 Remington
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »
no love for the 6.5-300 WBY?

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »
I hate watching these TV elk and deer hunts where they range 728yds across two draws and dial the turrets....Bang.....Flop.
If you want to pimp your product, don't do it on live game like nice bull elk.  Shoot the cattle at the meat lot from 700yds and high-five each other.
cool you dont like long range but why do you feel you need to troll a thread simply to troll? Are you intentionally looking to be confrontational?  I promise you that not a single person on this forum cares what you think about long range. If you dont like it dont watch it, click on it, or read about it.   :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
cool you dont like long range but why do you feel you need to troll a thread simply to troll? Are you intentionally looking to be confrontational?  I promise you that not a single person on this forum cares what you think about long range. If you dont like it dont watch it, click on it, or read about it.   :tup:
well said Karl.

The op asked about long range rifles and using them to hunt elk sometimes. The thread has been on topic completely.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2018, 10:53:45 AM »
I see this all the time. Long range hunting is not hunting it’s shooting.  No it’s not hunting to you. Hunting means something different to everyone.  Don’t push your ideas on me and enjoy hunting the way you like. I’ll enjoy my way. 

Rant over
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2018, 10:57:46 AM »

I think you're kinda living in a glass house and throwing rocks. 

A strong argument can, easily, be made for or against pretty much, ANY, form of hunting.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2018, 11:10:51 AM »
Shooting long range takes a lot of practice and skill....I've learned that real fast....I'll never say it's not hunting...not everyone can shoot long distance accurately. Still need to put in the time and effort to find the animals  :tup: would I prefer it to always be 100yds sure but not every situation allows that. I watched my cuz shoot a 140" whitetail this year in Idaho at 674 yds, it was on a little open knob with thick timber all around, would of been probably just about impossible to take the hour drive around the mountain to find the spot and get that buck, instead he had his long range 7stw and it only went 20yds and dropped with a perfect shot.

2 years ago I had a 130" blacktail at 500 yds, I chose to drive around to get closer because I wasn't comfortable shooting that far. As I got within half mile the timber company had a tower right in the middle of the road and it was a dead end road, would have loved to had a long range rifle that day

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »
no love for the 6.5-300 WBY?

I've looked at this one...from what I read it burns up the barrel pretty fast, do you have one?

I'm kinda leaning towards a 6.5-284

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]