collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Could you recommend grouse hunting resources to a new hunter?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline IA42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Could you recommend grouse hunting resources to a new hunter?
« on: December 15, 2018, 07:30:51 PM »
I've never hunted before but I want to start learning. So I bought a 10/22 with plans to plink targets and try hunting grouse with it. Eventually I'll want to move up to bigger game but this seemed like a good way to get started.

Being so new, and not knowing anyone who does this, I am completely in the dark about how to go about it.

Are there books, DVDs, online sites, or other resources you would recommend I look into to help me get prepared to start grouse hunting for the first time?
Especially if those resources are specific to Washington state. I'm in the Seattle area so that may influence where I choose to hunt in terms of travel distances within Washington state.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: Could you recommend grouse hunting resources to a new hunter?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 07:55:38 PM »
Welcome to the HW forum mister!  Not sure about resources, books etc. but I’m sure they’re out there. My rec is to grab a license, some shells, and hit any NF or other roads open to hunting. Walk in on spur roads, especially those roads closed to motorized traffic (but obviously open to legal foot/hunting traffic); timber chickens like to gravel early morning and evening, but can be out almost anytime really. The BEST time to encounter grouse?  Well, that’s when your elk or deer hunting in the woods of course  ;).  They seen to be everywhere then. Again, welcome to the forum and happy hunting! 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Could you recommend grouse hunting resources to a new hunter?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »
My strategy to finding grouse is to hunt deer or elk instead. I almost never find them when I look for them but can't seem to shake them when I want to find a deer or elk lol I have found over the last couple years as I have done more backcountry stuff that I find them alot at higher elevations in thinner timber areas.

Took me a long time to figure out too that if you're trying to shoot them on the ground and you end up flushing them they don't typically fly far and you can either see where they end up and shoot them right away or you can still hunt up to them and pop them. Good luck!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]