collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Duck hunting above little goose on the Snake  (Read 2742 times)

Offline RookieBow1967

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Duck hunting above little goose on the Snake
« on: December 16, 2018, 10:09:53 PM »
I have been hunting the lower Snake in the Fishhook Park area and have had moderate success. I am wanting to try a new area, a little further up the snake above little goose. I was wondering if the duck and geese numbers are decent up in that general area.  I am not looking for spots as i already have some picked out just looking for general information.

I also have questions on decoy numbers as i currently have only a dozen mallards and 3 geese floaters, I get a few ducks to come in but most fly over without committing.  Should i be using more or less decoys? From my observations  most of the ducks i see are running in small flocks of about 7, with plenty of singles and doubles as well.

I do almost no calling except for a feeding chuckle. Should i be more vocal?

Thanks for any advice or info you can give to a beginning duck hunter! 

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
Re: Duck hunting above little goose on the Snake
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 07:35:57 AM »
Have you tried scouting? I can promise you it's more helpful then asking the internet.

Decoys are a tricky thing. Normally this time of year I like to run huge spreads but I have also good luck with smaller spreads. If there was a magic number of decoys or how to place them everyone would do it. Use what you have and if you feel like you don't have enough drawing power add more when money permits. Make sure you have a jerk cord.

Calling is just like decoys and there is no magic formula. I have shot a lot of limits without ever picking up my duck call and some days using my whistle works better than anything. You just have to read the birds and react. If the birds aren't even giving you a look what harm is it to be loud and aggressive on the call. If the birds are coming in on a string then no reason to even pick up your call.

Good luck on the rest of the season!

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 08:38:19 PM »
Ditto the last post on scouting being a contributor to success. 

I also think you should have more decoys.  I have hunted the waterway you mention only once but it is big water.  When we hunt big Idaho rivers it is a numbers game with the decoys.

Offline RookieBow1967

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 09:47:22 PM »
Thanks for the input, scouting is not quite an option. But i will be trying the spots in the morning.

I did get 5 more decoys but im a college student on a budget, so im slowly building up my gear. I think i will have a total of 30 decoys( mallards, canvasbacks, pintails and geese) for tomorrows trip. Ill post pics if i get anything.

Offline Badhabit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 10:21:38 PM »
Try the Ringold area. Quality hunt areas.

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 06:47:38 AM »
And then one day the weather will be right and some new ducks will come in and the ducks will pile in and you will limit out. You might then wonder what you did differently?  :chuckle:
Sounds to me that you are willing to try new things and evolve and examine your spread. Keep at it  :tup:
Lead em if they're running.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »
Thanks for the input, scouting is not quite an option. But i will be trying the spots in the morning.

I did get 5 more decoys but im a college student on a budget, so im slowly building up my gear. I think i will have a total of 30 decoys( mallards, canvasbacks, pintails and geese) for tomorrows trip. Ill post pics if i get anything.

Why isn't scouting an option? In college I had more time to go hunting than I ever do now. Scouting is the single most important factor when it comes to waterfowling. I would sell my decoys just to put gas in my car to scout.

30 decoys is a fine start. This summer if you are around Spokane let me know and I might have some free decoys for you. I just moved so I really don't know what decoys I even have right now haha.

Two tips. First buy shotgun shells by the case. This saves a ton of money and I buy all my shells from Rogers Sporting goods. Second, Keep a journal of your hunting. What did you see that day, what was the weather like, how did the birds respond to you. I use mine all the time. This year it has been valuable on days I couldn't find time to scout.

Good luck on your hunt and I hope it is super fun and birds work in perfectly!

Offline linxx77

• Hunter
  • President-Washington Waterfowl Association
    • www.facebook.com/linxx77
    • Washington Waterfowl Association-Spokane Facebook
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 02:46:59 PM »

Why isn't scouting an option? In college I had more time to go hunting than I ever do now. Scouting is the single most important factor when it comes to waterfowling. I would sell my decoys just to put gas in my car to scout.

30 decoys is a fine start. This summer if you are around Spokane let me know and I might have some free decoys for you. I just moved so I really don't know what decoys I even have right now haha.

Two tips. First buy shotgun shells by the case. This saves a ton of money and I buy all my shells from Rogers Sporting goods. Second, Keep a journal of your hunting. What did you see that day, what was the weather like, how did the birds respond to you. I use mine all the time. This year it has been valuable on days I couldn't find time to scout.

Good luck on your hunt and I hope it is super fun and birds work in perfectly!

I've always got a little time for free decoys!

RookieBow, I'm new to the area and wouldn't mind scouting with you! We can grab some beers after? Let me know if you're interested!
orbis non sufficit

Offline RookieBow1967

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 05:29:25 PM »
Thanks for the offer on the decoys ill have to take you up on that offer if I ever get up towards Spokane. I would have scouted but its an hour and a half drive to the location and its difficult because i had classes spaced evenly throughout the day. So no time for daytime scouting but this quarter i got fridays off. My other spot was on the river but with all the recent rains the water level is up and i cant access my spot anymore.  Thanks for the offer Linx but im from Walla Walla so its a bit of a drive to partner up unless you want to meet halfway.

From yesterdays scouting/hunting trip i located a few areas that had mallards, pintails(i think) and canvasbacks so i will be back at it again tommorow. Had an opportunity to shoot but my fingers were too numb to flip the safety off in time :bash:

I figured out where they want to land so i know where to setup.Totally agree on the scouting, i figure this year is my scouting year then next year ill have my spots and tactics zeroed in.

Offline RookieBow1967

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 08:31:30 PM »
Had some success today!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw