collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Strategy  (Read 3917 times)

Offline go4steelhd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • MT Wild Sheep Foundation Life Time Member
  • Groups: go4steelhd
Re: Strategy
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 03:51:56 PM »
Pathfinder
Like you I have had poor luck in the deer draws. That’s why I was like heck with it I’m going OTC on at least one hunt every year.  I’m glad to see your group had great success this year. Nice work
NW__HUNTER Instagram

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 06:09:55 PM »
Pathfinder
Like you I have had poor luck in the deer draws. That’s why I was like heck with it I’m going OTC on at least one hunt every year.  I’m glad to see your group had great success this year. Nice work
Thanks.  You're right.  That's EXACTLY what we did.  Funny though that the guy I went with has drawn both Quality Elk and Quality Buck in WA (and scored on great animals with both).  I'm still sitting on points in almost every category.  I drew a "buck" tag a couple years ago and a muzzy cow tag a few years back.  That's the only thing I have ever drawn in WA. 
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 06:36:58 PM »
So I was thinking about this recently: Does it make sense to just put in for quality hunts in as many states as possible and just hunt those instead of wasting time hunting OTC tags in overly-hunter-populated GMUs? I am not at all satisfied with the GMU's I've been hunting but I have no idea where to go or what to do to improve my situation, and then it occurred to me: If I applied for quality hunts in enough states, I'd probably get something worth hunting and it would cut down on the amount of "hiking" I do.
I started thinking about this: Really successful hunters can't be spending the majority of their time on OTC tags, can they?

Just because you draw a quality tag doesnt mean youll see a ton more critters from the road or even in easily located spots.  There will be exceptions to this for sure but quality tags more or less restrict pressure but there is still pressure and you still have to put in just as much work.  Really successful hunters probably spend 90% of their time in OTC or easy draw units, if not more.  Im not even close to being in the category of really successful but the vast majority of guys that kill it year and year out are hunting OTC/easy draw units.

Quite a few guys on this forum and from WA kill a lot of animals every year on general or easy to draw tags that arent considered quality.  To me its not so much the tag but the hunter. The guys that know animal behavior and have the best woodsman ship seem to be the ones doing the best out there.
Somewhat related...I occasionally see guys fall into the mindset that its not worth hunting until/unless you get that good draw tag...what happens is they don't hunt a lot, then they draw a good tag, and they are ill-prepared to take advantage of the opportunity.  For example, I know a few folks who put in for Quality Elk in WA but don't ever hunt elk if they don't draw.  Well, after a dozen years or more of not really elk hunting - they draw and more often than not they have a tough go of it because they simply haven't done much elk hunting.

So...if you are going to apply in multiple states one strategy I think makes sense is to select a few top tier units, but make sure you are applying or hunting OTC on a consistent basis so that you are prepared if/when you draw those really hard to draw tags. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline ljsommer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 06:51:31 PM »
So I was thinking about this recently: Does it make sense to just put in for quality hunts in as many states as possible and just hunt those instead of wasting time hunting OTC tags in overly-hunter-populated GMUs? I am not at all satisfied with the GMU's I've been hunting but I have no idea where to go or what to do to improve my situation, and then it occurred to me: If I applied for quality hunts in enough states, I'd probably get something worth hunting and it would cut down on the amount of "hiking" I do.
I started thinking about this: Really successful hunters can't be spending the majority of their time on OTC tags, can they?

Just because you draw a quality tag doesnt mean youll see a ton more critters from the road or even in easily located spots.  There will be exceptions to this for sure but quality tags more or less restrict pressure but there is still pressure and you still have to put in just as much work.  Really successful hunters probably spend 90% of their time in OTC or easy draw units, if not more.  Im not even close to being in the category of really successful but the vast majority of guys that kill it year and year out are hunting OTC/easy draw units.

Quite a few guys on this forum and from WA kill a lot of animals every year on general or easy to draw tags that arent considered quality.  To me its not so much the tag but the hunter. The guys that know animal behavior and have the best woodsman ship seem to be the ones doing the best out there.
Somewhat related...I occasionally see guys fall into the mindset that its not worth hunting until/unless you get that good draw tag...what happens is they don't hunt a lot, then they draw a good tag, and they are ill-prepared to take advantage of the opportunity.  For example, I know a few folks who put in for Quality Elk in WA but don't ever hunt elk if they don't draw.  Well, after a dozen years or more of not really elk hunting - they draw and more often than not they have a tough go of it because they simply haven't done much elk hunting.

So...if you are going to apply in multiple states one strategy I think makes sense is to select a few top tier units, but make sure you are applying or hunting OTC on a consistent basis so that you are prepared if/when you draw those really hard to draw tags.

Good point. What I might do is view my OTC hunts as "practice" and my quality hunts as "the game". I'll be able to stay fit, lean, and hone my craft when there's no animals around so that when I can get into a unit with animals I'll be able to put those skills to work. I like it.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 06:53:48 PM »

Solid advice. You have to hone your skills. Even if you are unsuccessful. Just think of it as practice for your good tag you draw in the future.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »
One more thing that I would suggest if picking the type of terrain you want to hunt.  There are lots of quality hunts that I am not interested in because they are in units that have a lot of timber in them.  I want to hunt high desert as often as possible so I don't really ever consider applying in units that don't offer the terrain that I want to hunt. 
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline lemondog

• Scout
  • Groups: lemondog
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 09:25:43 PM »
Hunt every year somewhere, somehow and put in for as many opportunities as your budget will allow. Odds are not good in any of the premium units anywhere but you never know. I consider myself lucky but try to put the odds in my favor as much as possible. Last 12 years 2 Wyoming elk tags (1-6 point bull) 1 Nevada buck tag (30' buck) 1 Wyoming buck tag (180' buck) 1 Wa buck tag (4 point Buck) 1 Wa whitetail buck tag (no buck) also drew 2 Idaho buck tags (1-4 point buck) and one Montana General deer ( 1-4 point buck) and a Montana archery elk tag (missed bull at 15 yards! LOL!) Put your name in the hat whenever you can, I had a friend draw and Idaho Deer super tag this past year so you never know.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 10:23:04 PM »
If I start attempting quality tags in say....4-6 states, then I'll surely get something quality eventually. Until then I'll buy OTC and go to the pumpkin parties every year.
Speaking of pumpkin parties, I feel like if I could somehow get in touch with the other people that hunt my GMU we could have some sort of potluck in the woods or something. Might as well make it a party, ya know?

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 10:39:15 PM »
The guys I know of that are successful in WA spend a lot of time out there.  Usually loggers or maintenance for DNR/Forest Circus for elk, or someone that has hiked an area for years for deer.  Hang in there, you'll start putting the local OTC stuff together and have it click.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »
the deer tags I have drawn outta state dont even compare to WA on any level and makes it really hard to get motivated to even hunt this state for muleys. I have had hunts outta state where I have seen over 50 bucks in a week and some were even higher than that.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2018, 11:01:05 PM »
the deer tags I have drawn outta state dont even compare to WA on any level and makes it really hard to get motivated to even hunt this state for muleys. I have had hunts outta state where I have seen over 50 bucks in a week and some were even higher than that.

Man if you can't get motivated for muleys in WA I don't know how I am supposed to get motivated for blacktails in WA. At least you can *see* muleys.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2018, 02:51:45 PM »

Man if you can't get motivated for muleys in WA I don't know how I am supposed to get motivated for blacktails in WA. At least you can *see* muleys.

Aww heck.... You didn't tell us you were talking about blacktails... :chuckle:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]