collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tire Socks  (Read 2429 times)

Offline branches

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Tire Socks
« on: December 17, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »
Has anybody ran the tire sock or auto sock on a car for around town when the roads are compact snow and ice. I was looking at getting something for the kid's and wife's car's. Last Christmas eve we had some snow and it turned the roads to compact snow and ice and we had to leave a car in a parking lot because of all of the closed roads. I know we will not use it in the mountains or off road but just around town. What worked for your car?

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: Tire Socks
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 06:14:33 PM »
Get a pair of cable chains.  Everything Ive seen is tire socks are no easier to put on than cable chains. Best is snow tires

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 06:31:04 PM »
Yeah we’ve always ran good snow tires and never had a problem
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Life member NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, SCI
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 06:31:15 PM »
Get a pair of cable chains.  Everything Ive seen is tire socks are no easier to put on than cable chains. Best is snow tires

Unless Your vehicle Won't accept Chains of course

Offline branches

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 06:39:57 PM »
I was thinking that if the roads were compact ice that the wife or kids could slip on the socks and get the car home if they were out when the snow starts. I know chains will work but wanted something easy for them to put on to just get home and not leave the car along side the road so I have to go back and fish them out. Has anybody used the auto sock or snow sock?

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 08:46:31 PM »
Those are made to keep from scuffing the floor, not traction in snow. If you spin a tire, it’ll just spin inside the sock.

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 11:39:17 PM »
I was thinking that if the roads were compact ice that the wife or kids could slip on the socks and get the car home if they were out when the snow starts. I know chains will work but wanted something easy for them to put on to just get home and not leave the car along side the road so I have to go back and fish them out. Has anybody used the auto sock or snow sock?

Used them all ... nothing but Autosock now for my vehicles with low clearance wheel wells... particularly for first snow in town when everyone caught unprepared on evening commute ... easy slip on, but do need to pull vehicle forward or backward to seat final fit and don't "skimp" with just 1 pair, need all 4 (2 pair) ''all way around" for optimal performance.

Family Training Session recommended to Familiarize and Test out installing before first snow.   When steep hills turn into skating rinks in our area [Anywhere Puget Sound](you know how it is...) and others "slip-sliding-away" ... able to easily motor around and have key stopping power (defying gravity) on any hill ... of course front wheel/all wheel drive best.

Most efficient on total compact snow & ice ... downside: thaw comes and patches of asphalt show up ... [the "between stage"] run risk of putting holes in your sox ''space age traction material'  :chuckle:
Suggest carrying Husky Contractor Grade Garbage Bag (3mil) to store your ''wet sox" after first use for winter season remainder.

"AutoSock" WSP Approved: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/files/2018-alternative-traction-devices.pdf         
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 11:47:19 PM by MonstroMuley »
"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline branches

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »

Used them all ... nothing but Autosock now for my vehicles with low clearance wheel wells... particularly for first snow in town when everyone caught unprepared on evening commute ... easy slip on, but do need to pull vehicle forward or backward to seat final fit and don't "skimp" with just 1 pair, need all 4 (2 pair) ''all way around" for optimal performance.

Family Training Session recommended to Familiarize and Test out installing before first snow.   When steep hills turn into skating rinks in our area [Anywhere Puget Sound](you know how it is...) and others "slip-sliding-away" ... able to easily motor around and have key stopping power (defying gravity) on any hill ... of course front wheel/all wheel drive best.

Most efficient on total compact snow & ice ... downside: thaw comes and patches of asphalt show up ... [the "between stage"] run risk of putting holes in your sox ''space age traction material'  :chuckle:
Suggest carrying Husky Contractor Grade Garbage Bag (3mil) to store your ''wet sox" after first use for winter season remainder.

"AutoSock" WSP Approved: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/files/2018-alternative-traction-devices.pdf         

Perfect. This is just what I wanted to know. Thank you for the information.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 10:15:38 AM »

Those sound like a cool alternative to chains for small cars in Seattle.   So you recommend all the tires get socked up?

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 11:03:59 AM »
Until reading this, I didn't know such a thing even existed.  Do these things actually work and how long will/do they last?  Seems like they'd wear out pretty fast, especially in town where you are turning a lot to go around corners and such, but maybe they don't.  Just kinda curious is all.

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 07:08:46 PM »
Sorry Guyz didn't get back sooner ... lost in the holidays ...

Those sound like a cool alternative to chains for small cars in Seattle.   So you recommend all the tires get socked up?

@Knock: Yes highly recommend "socking up" all your tires for small car.  Have "socked up" just the front wheels on front wheel drive in past and discovered the back end will fish-tail on you sometimes when coming to a stop ... particularly downhill. No stopping friction on the back end ... so once balanced out all way around...
no more fish tailing.

They run about $100 a pair on average (depending on tire size)...
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=autosocks

... I rationalize the cost as cheap insurance compared to an accident (i.e. deductible and the hassle & time out of your life dealing with insurance and auto repair shop).  Puget Sound/Seattle area winter driving bit different from rest of the state ... so might not apply say in Spokane with experienced winter drivers and fewer steep hills (except South Hill).

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 07:12:33 PM »
Until reading this, I didn't know such a thing even existed.  Do these things actually work and how long will/do they last?  Seems like they'd wear out pretty fast, especially in town where you are turning a lot to go around corners and such, but maybe they don't.  Just kinda curious is all.

@b23: If you can stay on compact snow & ice only and stay off pavement patches and depending on frequency of winter driving season usage ... cornering doesn't seem to be an issue on extended wear ... you'll get about 2 - 3 winter seasons life out of them. Honestly, when they get holes and if you replace them ... use them both,  save the good ones for ideal snow-ice conditions and run the "Holy Ones" when conditions turn to partial ice & pavement ... run 'em until they turn into rags! Nothing to loose... already have holes and still have traction.
Yes, they really work IMHO ... run these on my small cars and no where can't go while watching others spin-out.

Best approach to these auto sox is to think of them mainly for Emergency type situations ... when winter conditions suddenly turn really bad & nasty,  i.e. stuck on the pass ... they'll get you out of a jam, up or down a steep icy hill when need traction... faster than putting on chains in a driving snow storm.
Otherwise, M/S "Sniped" All Season Tires should do fine.

When the passes say "Chains Only" Not Sure if these meet the requirement?  But would think so ... since listed on (WSP) Washington State Patrol's Web Site for Alternative Traction Devices ... I carry a print copy should they challenge. Might want to check with WSP on that.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]