Author Topic: .17HMR  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
.17HMR
« on: December 17, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »
What is it good for?

Got a 17hmr rifle for my birthday 13 years ago, had it at the range a few times... Seen videos of hogs taken, coyotes taken... Exploding rabbits and prarrie dogs...

Just never really utalized it... Its a nice rifle, CZ 452... But always wondered aviut the cartridge..

Doubt id want to shoot anything big with it, i got an AR for yotes...

Been thinking about selling it, doubt I got 200 rounds through it....
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 06:43:32 PM by Night goat »

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: .17HMR
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 06:39:47 PM »
What is it good for?

Got a 17hmr rifle for my birthday 13 years ago, had it at the range a few times... Seen videos of hogs taken, coyotes taken... Exploding rabbits and prarrie dogs...

Just never really utalized it... Its a jice rifle, CZ 452... But always wondered aviut the cartridge...

You forgot grouse, bobcats, basically a super charged .22, I love shooting my sos.👍
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 06:40:42 PM »
What is it good for?

Just never really utalized it... Its a jice rifle, CZ 452... But always wondered aviut the cartridge...

You forgot grouse, bobcats, basically a super charged .22, I love shooting my sos.👍

Woundnt it destroy a grouse beyond eating?

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 06:41:02 PM »
Mine sits in the safe collecting dust.  It is crazy accurate and fun to shoot but just doesn't get used.  It will be passed down to my son one of these days so he can decide the usefullness of this gun. 

Funny....I keep buying ammo every time I find it on sale.  Might as well have plenty of ammo to pass along too. 

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 06:43:07 PM »
What is it good for?

Think headshot.😉
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 06:48:10 PM »
What is it good for?

Think headshot.😉

Cuz im going to be taking a Full stocked bolt action rifle with a  6.5-20x50 scope with me along size my four legged critter gitter when I'm out in the boonines.....

Not exactly a truck gun either... I think i got a better chance of getting a grouse using a 50 cal black powder pistol loaded with BB shot....

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 06:51:24 PM »
 :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 06:52:27 PM »
What is it good for?

yup...you might as well sell it to me as its no good...i've got mine hitting dead on at 50 yards and at 2350 fps drops a whopping 1/2 " at 100 yards within a thumbnail group...you don't want to deal with that type of inaccuracy.  i'd be doing you a favor by taking it off your hands...
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 06:53:02 PM »
What is it good for?

Think headshot.😉

Cuz im going to be taking a Full stocked bolt action rifle with a  6.5-20x50 scope with me along size my four legged critter gitter when I'm out in the boonines.....

Not exactly a truck gun either... I think i got a better chance of getting a grouse using a 50 cal black powder pistol loaded with BB shot....

Not everyone has dogs to hunt with, and on gated roads walking they work great at longer distances.😉

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 06:53:12 PM »
That is the exact problem with this rifle caliber.....there are better options for almost every type of hunting.  Grouse.....22 lr or shotgun, coyote.....223, 22.250, .243, etc. etc.,

I have thought about buying the ruger single six in .17 hrm....just to have one.  I bet it would be a fun plinker.   :tup:

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »
What is it good for?

yup...you might as well sell it to me as its no good...i've got mine hitting dead on at 50 yards and at 2350 fps drops a whopping 1/2 " at 100 yards within a thumbnail group...you don't want to deal with that type of inaccuracy.  i'd be doing you a favor by taking it off your hands...

:yeah: :chuckle:

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »
I bought one years ago in Rawlins Wy when they were hard to get. It annihilates ground squirrels. I've shot coyotes with it and they ran away. Not my favorite gun. 17WSM is much better.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 07:07:15 PM »
This is going to sound sacrilegious, but... honestly, its a better killer than the 22.

The grouse I've shot with a 17 have barely moved. All the ones I've shot with a 22, sometimes they limp off a ways. I haven't had an issue recovering any of them, but the 17 is like lightning hit them - they may flap a little but wherever they were standing when I pulled the trigger is where they stay.

Same with rabbits.

Just go for the head/neck, obviously. Depending on the load it will tear up the meat. My favorite is the CCI GamePoint. They also make a FMJ thats great for small game as well.

The 22 is cheaper to shoot, and I still love the 22, but I always grab the .17 if I'm headed out for grouse or rabbit specifically.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 07:21:50 PM »
Hard to beat that cartridge for ground squirrels both in effectiveness and cost!
Go hawks

Offline mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 07:29:34 PM »
Hard to beat that cartridge for ground squirrels both in effectiveness and cost!
That!👆
Killed 1000's of them, along with a dozen or so coyote. Be a good bobcat round for sure👍
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]