collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Going traditional....need advice / help  (Read 2440 times)

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Going traditional....need advice / help
« on: December 18, 2018, 06:55:32 PM »
I am going to purchase a traditional bow in hopes of hunting with it next year.  I have bow hunted since I was 8 years old and always hunted with a compound.  Not sure why....but I now have the bug to go old school.  Most of my elk have been shot at under 30 yards. 

My questions....

Recurve vs long bow??  pretty sure a recurve is what I want, any reason not to?
Draw weight??  is 50-55 lb good enough.
How does draw length work??  Do all recurves work with all draw lengths?  I shoot a 30" compound right now. 
What kind of arrows...carbon vs wood. 

Which bow manufacturers make a good recurve.  What about takedowns? 

I am sure I will have more questions but this should get me started. 

thanks in advance

Jrebel

Offline mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Going traditional....need advice / help
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 07:09:58 PM »
Starting out I would opt a longer length recurve. Shooting 30" compound, your draw length shooting traditional will be 28-28 1/2".
You will enjoy going more traditional as I know you love the challenge of getting close👍
You know how to get a hold of me with questions! I also have several options you can try to help make the decision!
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline ribka

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 07:23:07 PM »
Pick up a decent cheaper recurve. Samick is a decent cheap bow to start out with
Your draw, is one to two inches to start out. shorter typically than shooting compound.

Long bows are less forgiving than a recurve

I’d pick up a 62 inch 45 to 50 lb take down recurve to start out develop good consistent shooting.

I always preferred heavy aluminum arrow. But wood or a heavy carbon works fine. I think a tab is better for a beginner vs a glove.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/samick-sage-recurve-adult-bow-kit.html. Or check amazon but three rivers has great CS.

Offline scotsman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:39:57 PM »
Hiya, where are you located? I would be glad to let you shoot a few longbows and recurves to see which you prefer. I have been a bowhunter for over 50 years, starting before compounds were invented so prefer the simple side. Although I did hunt and target shoot with a compound for a few years I got bored with the mechanical aspects and went back to stickbows. Not coincidentally I have built around 100 recurves,  longbows and countless arrows.

I  have successfully taught bow building and coached traditional archery to many youth and adults. We have 6 acres here in Gig Harbor with target butt and a couple of 3d critters - also I have been a member of Kitsap Archers for 30 + years.

I’m hesitant to say this because some folks take it wrong... I’m definitely not a ‘trad purist’, but I find that when I go into the woods carrying a compound I feel like an intruder, a mechanic. Carrying a light, simple stickbow I become part of the woods... I belong there. I start to think like a predator, moving quietly anticipating where the prey is.

So, if you want to know more about the simple side of archery I will be happy to give you some pointers. And its certainly fine with me if you want to stay with the compound - we are all brothers of the bow.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 07:50:34 PM »
I’ve got  this recurve browning if you want it, it measures 59” top to bottom, no other info on it then the pick.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 09:10:04 PM »
I just picked it up again. Like others have said look at the take down bows that are out there (pretty cost effective). I went with a Galaxy Ember with long bow limbs, but recurve limbs are available for the same riser. I know a few guys shooting the Sage bows and they are happy. I shoot a 75# compound, and I went with 50# limbs. It’s comfortable to shoot all day. I went with a semi heavy carbon setup for arrows. I’m running 522 gr. My draw length was pretty close with my anchor so I was 29.25” and I shoot my Elite at 30”. Shoot heavy tips as you will more than likely go that route with broad heads (cut on contacts),  I’m running 175s because that works for my spine set up. Don’t be afraid to shoot a few bows and find one that feels good. Also like stated I would look at a longer bow with your draw length ie 60” or taller.

Offline scotsman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 09:52:10 PM »
There are some real deals out there in used bows. Check this one: a very well built, sweet shooting custom recurve with arrows, quiver, the whole shebang  for $300. much better quality than the chinese Samik bows. This one is a keeper.: https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/spo/d/custom-recurve-bow-critter-gitter/6770270028.html

Offline cvandervort

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 05:50:45 PM »
Boss - sent you a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For Pete's sake...pick up your feet, man!

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter

Offline Sandberm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 08:09:50 AM »
I’ve got  this recurve browning if you want it, it measures 59” top to bottom, no other info on it then the pick.

This guy sure likes your bow.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg