collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tundra VRS F-150- Need a new truck.  (Read 9575 times)

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Tundra VRS F-150- Need a new truck.
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2018, 10:59:34 AM »
One thing I will say some people don't like about the newer F150's is the new 10 speed transmission.  It shifts all over the place. Can shift from 2nd-5th for example if it feels so inclined. It's doing it all in the name of fuel economy and emissions output, so it's normal, but it does seem to drive some people a little crazy. Most people don't ever mention or complain about it. Most newer vehicles do some weird shifting for the same reasons so I don't think it's anything abnormal...just figured it was worth mentioning.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2018, 11:03:44 AM »
http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/21396/2018-ford-f-150-diesel-truck-review-how-does-850-miles-of-range-on-a-tank-sound

🤔

Looks pretty sweet but too rich for my blood.

Yeah I know, with a 2004 Ram 2500 diesel sitting in my driveway that’s going to be there a lot longer. 😉
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2018, 11:06:45 AM »
Partial thread jack but still relevant since I am looking at same two models. Current 06 f-150 is standard bed at 5'8". Found a nice 2013 ecoboost with all options i want and at a good price but same size bed. Think I should hold out for longer bed?
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2018, 11:10:51 AM »
Partial thread jack but still relevant since I am looking at same two models. Current 06 f-150 is standard bed at 5'8". Found a nice 2013 ecoboost with all options i want and at a good price but same size bed. Think I should hold out for longer bed?

I would, but I can’t live without an 8’ in the yard.🤣

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2018, 11:15:02 AM »
http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/21396/2018-ford-f-150-diesel-truck-review-how-does-850-miles-of-range-on-a-tank-sound

🤔

Looks pretty sweet but too rich for my blood.

Yeah I know, with a 2004 Ram 2500 diesel sitting in my driveway that’s going to be there a lot longer. 😉

New pickups are too expensive for me. I drive too much and would wear them out too fast to spend $50k+ every 6 years or so on transportation. Ive gone with the fleet mentality, have a few older pickups, do my own maintenance with the help of youtube and hope someday to come into some good money.

That being said, you guys sure are making these eco boost Fords sound attractive.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2018, 11:17:56 AM »

I probably would, but I can't really say I can think of any reasons why I "had" to have the longer bed. If the deal is good enough, go for it, unless you have a significant building project coming up or something where you'll be hauling a lot of stuff. I've survived 3 years without a pickup(I've used a small utility trailer a few times) so I'm sure a 5.5' bed would suffice for me 99% of the time.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »

I probably would, but I can't really say I can think of any reasons why I "had" to have the longer bed. If the deal is good enough, go for it, unless you have a significant building project coming up or something where you'll be hauling a lot of stuff. I've survived 3 years without a pickup(I've used a small utility trailer a few times) so I'm sure a 5.5' bed would suffice for me 99% of the time.

That is my thought too. I just bought a little utility trailer that i can use majority of the time but just not sure if it is worth waiting for long bed or not just in case. Like you said, 99% of the time the shorter bed is fine for me but that 1% I get  >:(

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2018, 11:26:41 AM »
It's a little longer and the turning radius is a little larger so maybe a little bit more difficult to get into parking spots. Not an issue for me, but it does bother some. Aside from that I can't think of any downside to the longer wheel base.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2018, 11:30:32 AM »
It's a little longer and the turning radius is a little larger so maybe a little bit more difficult to get into parking spots. Not an issue for me, but it does bother some. Aside from that I can't think of any downside to the longer wheel base.

Agreed. Shorter wheel base and easier to park is nice, especially when the old lady drives it which can be an adventure on its own!

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2018, 01:49:21 PM »
One thing I will say some people don't like about the newer F150's is the new 10 speed transmission.  It shifts all over the place. Can shift from 2nd-5th for example if it feels so inclined. It's doing it all in the name of fuel economy and emissions output, so it's normal, but it does seem to drive some people a little crazy. Most people don't ever mention or complain about it. Most newer vehicles do some weird shifting for the same reasons so I don't think it's anything abnormal...just figured it was worth mentioning.

My 2018 Odyssey is like this. Honestly it drives me nuts. Feels like your are stepping on a bad apple at first and it accelerates slow. When you stop on it the van gets with it ans almost sounds like it's going to explode. LOL i was told this was normal. 
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2018, 01:53:34 PM »

My 2018 Odyssey is like this. Honestly it drives me nuts. Feels like your are stepping on a bad apple at first and it accelerates slow. When you stop on it the van gets with it ans almost sounds like it's going to explode. LOL i was told this was normal. 

s'normal...
:chuckle:

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2018, 01:55:33 PM »

I think all new vehicles shift too much from what I've heard. When I approach a hill I shift down a gear just so i do not have to listen to the transmission shift 5 or 6 times up and down as I climb the hill. Drives me nuts seeing the tach go from 1200ish to 2000ish, back n forth, back n forth as it shifts up and down.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2018, 04:11:12 PM »
Tundra, hands down. I know people are excited by Ford's new engine, and it's power, but lets see that engine at 200,000 miles. My Tundra still has the same power are torque it did when new, and has zero frame rust or squeaks or rattles.....at 237K! Never seen any other make of truck that has that long term quality.

:twocents:

Plenty of them out there with 200k miles on them. Ecoboost is not a "new" engine. Been out since 2011 now. Only a few years less than the 5.7 Toyota engine.
And the F150 doesn't have to run 4.10 or 4.30 gears to give the illusion of power.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal