collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got my Lowas back from Germany  (Read 4844 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Got my Lowas back from Germany
« on: December 27, 2018, 02:16:36 PM »
New soles and in-soles, new rand, leather treated, new laces. $95 on an 8 year-old pair of boots to make them almost new again. It took about two months. I'm very happy with the support I got from this company on the finest pair of boots I've ever owned. They'll likely last longer than I.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Got my Lowas back from Germany
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 03:13:43 PM »
Are there certain models that they can rebuild? That seems pretty cool. My lowas are about worn off on the sole and midsole starting to crack just a bit but the leather is still in good shape

Offline Snakeriver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 06:56:03 PM »
I bought a pair of Lowas this year, my first pair. Really like them so far. My kenetrek's water proofing totally failed on year #2. Idaho back country hunt and my feet and socks were soaked for 5 days.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 07:28:55 PM »
2 years seems to be about max life for the goretex in any of my boots no matter how expensive. Lowas were no different. Great boots though

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 09:35:41 PM »
Are there certain models that they can rebuild? That seems pretty cool. My lowas are about worn off on the sole and midsole starting to crack just a bit but the leather is still in good shape

Not sure. Go to their warranty section on the website and fill out the form. They'll let you know.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 09:37:07 PM »
2 years seems to be about max life for the goretex in any of my boots no matter how expensive. Lowas were no different. Great boots though

I've had these boots for 7 or 8 years. This past rainy archery season, they kept my feet dry. I'm also quite careful about weatherproofing before and after each season.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 12:27:24 PM »
So, I just sent them a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX boots that I wore for about 4 years and nearly wore the soles off of.  They did start leaking in a torrential storm at 13 months in, but I wore them in dry environments quite a bit after that.

Just sent them in 4 years later and they're going to send me a new pair, free of charge!

They've won a customer for life.  They were great boots and I beat the crap out of them.  Looking forward to a new pair.  When it comes time to purchase them again, I'll happily pay the ~400, knowing that its good for two pairs and a great pair of boots.

-Stang

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 12:37:06 PM »
That's good customer support it sounds like. In the 4 yrs how much did you use them
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 12:39:50 PM »
By the way, my reconditioned boots performed like new in all the rain during early archery. I did have a propane boot dryer but my feet only got wet because of perspiration and anything wicking in from my socks.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 01:03:30 PM »
That's good customer support it sounds like. In the 4 yrs how much did you use them

I used them a lot.  They always leaked a little after that first year, which I strongly disliked, but most of my hiking is during archery or in the summer, so it ended up being largely a non issue.  The rand did start to separate and I broke a pair of laces, but otherwise I was very happy with them.  I probably would've sent them back sooner, but I used them too much.  If they hadn't leaked I'd have given them a 10/10.  Hopefully the next pair is a bit better.

I had worn the tread down pretty low on this pair.  I will bet I did a good 200 +/- miles a year or so, but i'm not great at estimating. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 01:06:44 PM »

I used them a lot.  They always leaked a little after that first year, which I strongly disliked, but most of my hiking is during archery or in the summer, so it ended up being largely a non issue.  The rand did start to separate and I broke a pair of laces, but otherwise I was very happy with them.  I probably would've sent them back sooner, but I used them too much.  If they hadn't leaked I'd have given them a 10/10.  Hopefully the next pair is a bit better.

I had worn the tread down pretty low on this pair.  I will bet I did a good 200 +/- miles a year or so, but i'm not great at estimating.

Often, leaking in a fairly new pair of quality boots is due to the Gore Tex separating and is a defect that the boot manufacturer can charge back on Gore Tex

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 01:17:23 PM »

Often, leaking in a fairly new pair of quality boots is due to the Gore Tex separating and is a defect that the boot manufacturer can charge back on Gore Tex

Initially i didn't want to believe that they were leaking and passed it off as "sweat", but the reality is that my feet sweat very little if I'm not aggressively hiking.  If they feel damp its almost always leaking.  With any pair of boots previously, my feet would not sweat for the first couple months of boot ownership and then magically begin to sweat.  I found out what I was calling sweat was leaking as I mysteriously began to "sweat" more over the life of the boot.

I think foot sweat is very possible on dry hot days on long aggressive hikes.  If you find your foot doesn't sweat on those days and does on rainy days, its time to stop making excuses, even if your boots were $400.  At least, thats my new philosophy.

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »
I'm glad to hear all the positives from this company. I struggled spending the money on my lowa tibets, but they were one of the only boots I could get my hands on that fit me properly and weren't chineesium crap.

Coming into year 3 with them, the look and function as new, but good to know I can send em off for a rebuild when its needed!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 01:32:34 PM »
I'm glad to hear all the positives from this company. I struggled spending the money on my lowa tibets, but they were one of the only boots I could get my hands on that fit me properly and weren't chineesium crap.

Coming into year 3 with them, the look and function as new, but good to know I can send em off for a rebuild when its needed!

When you pay the $90 for reconditioning, if they can't bring them back to good quality, they'll replace them. It is a fabulous program. Mine are almost like new after 8 previous seasons.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »
New soles and in-soles, new rand, leather treated, new laces. $95 on an 8 year-old pair of boots to make them almost new again. It took about two months. I'm very happy with the support I got from this company on the finest pair of boots I've ever owned. They'll likely last longer than I.

I will pass this on to them. I work closely with LOWA.

Secret Squirrel - LOWA will introduce 3 new pairs of hunting boots at this years SHOT show.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal