collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: REI Garage Sale  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
REI Garage Sale
« on: December 29, 2018, 05:02:42 PM »
Anybody get any good scores today?

Got 2 packs (85 and 70 liter), 19 deg down ultralight sleeping bag, pair of trek poles.... Just under 400$ spent, close to 1200$ worth of swag....

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: REI Garage Sale
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 05:13:13 PM »
Good for you NG for getting some good deals, but, many here don’t support REI any longer. They have carried good products over the years with a solid return policy, but...as of MAR 18 I believe, they stopped carrying outdoor product brands that are affiliated with/support the NRA. I’m out and let my “points” fade away....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 05:19:33 PM by WapitiTalk1 »
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 05:16:02 PM »
I cancelled my 40+ year membership last year after their boycott of Vista.  Really a shame to see where the company is going.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 05:28:06 PM »
Good for you NG for getting some good deals, but, many here don’t support REI any longer. They have carried good products over the years with a solid return policy, but...as of MAR 18 I believe, they stopped carrying outdoor product brands that are affiliated with/support the NRA. I’m out and let my “points” fade away....

:yeah:

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 06:42:44 PM »
News to me.... Ive had REI gear all my life and have never had any complaints. Grew up with thier ski gear, even have (and sometimes still use) my grandpas old frame pack from the 1950s or 1960s... Its just always been stuff that ive depended on... Being 30, and more concerned on solid reliable gear that I can try on and inspect and return.... Well gear is gear, and while I advocate for what i can when I can, I dont let politics get in the way of being able to "get out there".

That being said, I am definatley in the minority of REI customers, and there were sure a ton of stinky hippies and yuppy liberals in all forms including the worst kind.... But to me, what matters is having the gear to get out and back home, and in this case, all is left for me to get is a new tent, boots, and outter layer, of which will be from companies that do support "our" cause.

For a guy on a budget wanting to maximise his time "out", well I aont gonna argue with discounts on gear I cant otherwise afford, and to me, that is what matters....

Besides, have any of yalls stopped to consider that wearing greenie liberal gear is the ultimate camoflauge for hunting areas frequented by "them"??

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 06:46:37 PM »
I already have a garage so I don't need to buy another
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline ipkus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 06:55:33 PM »
I just read several paragraphs written by a guy who said about 4 different ways that the most important thing to him is saving money.  Forget principles, morals, or standing for something, I just want more for less.

To each their own.  At least own it for what it is and stop trying to covince yourself and everyone else otherwise.

:twocents:

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 07:07:01 PM »
I don’t and won’t support REI anymore, ever. I did however, really enjoy myself immensely several years back (before they pretty much stuck all Americans in the back by renouncing oh whaddyacall it, the 2nd amendment). I’d go browsing in the store and ask the first employee that asked me “are you finding everything” with the question “ya, where is the camo clothing”?  That usually got a memorable look and response  ;)
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 07:30:55 PM »
I hadn't heard anything about this.  Do you have any more info? 

I don't officially support the NRA either, but generally support gun ownership and a number of hunting rights groups.  I just don't equate the NRA to Hunting Rights

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 07:38:48 PM »
Sent u a PM WACoyote. I’ve trounced on NG’s thread enough and everybody has a right to do commerce with whom they wish.
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 07:40:06 PM »

I don't officially support the NRA either, but generally support gun ownership and a number of hunting rights groups.  I just don't equate the NRA to Hunting Rights

https://newsroom.rei.com/company-information/statements/rei-statement-on-relationship-with-vista-outdoor.htm

It wasn't just NRA related. Vista owns Savage Arms:

"Vista also owns Savage Arms, which manufactures guns including “modern sporting rifles.” "

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 08:14:49 PM »

https://newsroom.rei.com/company-information/statements/rei-statement-on-relationship-with-vista-outdoor.htm

"Vista also owns Savage Arms, which manufactures guns including “modern sporting rifles.” "

Huh.....im lost for words....

So much for a guy just trying to get into the sport, for the pure enjoyment of the activity of getting out into the woods and enjoying harvesting his own meat, I mean, forget tradition and fauck it, lets make it all about politics.

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 08:16:22 PM »
Seriously... Id hate to hear what you guys have to say about my cabelas gear...

Far less reliable imho, ya know, unless you can afford the guide or outfitter series gear, that being said, i love my alaknak, but not everybody can afford kifaru or sitka gear.

I guess younhave to spend thousands on prime labels and gear gear you see in hunting shows to be a sucessful huntsman

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 08:20:19 PM »
I mean, screw me for trying to hunt on a budget right?

Sounds pretty elitist to me

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 08:27:19 PM »

Don’t let these anti REI guys get to you. I don’t agree with REI on their stance against hunting, but that doesn’t stop me from buying quality gear and stretching out my hard earned dollar.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 09:07:03 PM »

Don’t let these anti REI guys get to you. I don’t agree with REI on their stance against hunting, but that doesn’t stop me from buying quality gear and stretching out my hard earned dollar.

Haven't seen any of these negative Nancy's offering to buy you gear so keep on keeping on. Your money therefore spend it how you like. 

Most of my stuff is from rei/co op garage sales and dividends.

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 09:14:06 PM »

Huh.....im lost for words....

So much for a guy just trying to get into the sport, for the pure enjoyment of the activity of getting out into the woods and enjoying harvesting his own meat, I mean, forget tradition and fauck it, lets make it all about politics.
[/quote

Just about ethics to some of us. Don’t feel bad about shopping there. That’s your choice

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 09:15:32 PM »
I've got REI gear. I don't buy anthing new from them after that whole debacle with Vista. I'll enjoy it until it needs to be replaced then buy from another vendor. Not gonna support them but not one of those to burn or throw away good products from a business that I may not agree with their ideals anymore.

You have as much a right to spend your hard earned money there as I do to not.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 09:15:50 PM »
Buy where you want.

If this thread gets either trashed or derailed further posts will be removed.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2018, 09:16:28 PM »
I've got REI gear. I don't buy anthing new from them after that whole debacle with Vista. I'll enjoy it until it needs to be replaced then buy from another vendor. Not gonna support them but not one of those to burn or throw away good products from a business that I may not agree with their ideals anymore.

You have as much a right to spend your hard earned money there as I do to not.
L :yeah:

Offline Snakeriver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2018, 06:46:35 AM »
Its a good place to buy gear. With a good return policy. I outfitted my son with boots, rain gear, a jacket, when checking out the gal says. You have one year for returns if any problems come up.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2018, 08:31:22 AM »
I understand trying to save a buck and hunting on a bugdet. I also understand supporting businesses that don't support the anti-hunting groups. I usually buy stuff on sale, with an item or two at a time as well versus trying to outfit myself all at one time.

A very wise man once told me that if you vacillate your principles for dollars then you don't have any principles at all. Personally I won't shop there, but to each their own.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2018, 09:11:39 AM »
REI made a very clear statement about firearms.

The right to keep and bear arms is under attack from many sides, and is of utmost importance to me.

I cannot in good conscience support any company that actively works against firearms related rights.

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2018, 09:18:44 AM »
REI made a very clear statement about firearms.

The right to keep and bear arms is under attack from many sides, and is of utmost importance to me.

I cannot in good conscience support any company that actively works against firearms related rights.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2018, 09:35:54 AM »
Paul Allen did more harm to firearms owners in this state, yet lots on this forum were still supporting the Seahawks.  Just prioritize the politics and pursuits, because they will vary greatly even among all the hunters.

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2018, 04:32:36 PM »
Buy where you want.

might as well...… I had no idea how much of a powder keg REI gear was to these guys

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2018, 04:36:55 PM »
Buy where you want.

might as well...… I had no idea how much of a powder keg REI gear was to these guys

Don't let it get you.

People have strong opinions, which is fine.

I'm very big on 2A rights, but if I boycotted everyone who is attacking them I couldn't use this computer.........

Enjoy your haul of gear.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2018, 09:38:16 PM »
Keep in mind everything for sale in the REI year end Members sale, are returned items!

I returned a pair Vasques because they leaked, six months after I bought them. A few months later my Vasques were for sale at the Members Yearly sale for half what I paid for them. What they did not tell you, was they leaked.
I asked the REI rep, and she confirmed they were all returns or items that did not sell throughout the year.

REI has great boots, and knowledgeable boot sales people. You just need to realize what you are buying.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal