collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Diesel rigs in extreme cold  (Read 5918 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Diesel rigs in extreme cold
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2019, 08:42:12 PM »
The Dodge and Ford trucks all have the heaters always. It’s whether or not they have the cord. Dumb. No idea why.
Not sure if ya refer to new trucks?  My o5 Dodge did Not have heater installed.  My 06 does.  IMOP the Dodges start much easier in the cold then the V-8 engines.

I was referring to the newer trucks. Some come with a cord and some don’t. All the diesels have the heaters from the factory.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2019, 08:58:36 PM »
My 2000 with 5.9 came with heater and cord.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2019, 12:06:03 AM »
My 17 Ram 2500 didnt have the cord.  Hard to believe after spending that kind of cheese on a new truck it wasnt included. 

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2019, 06:43:36 AM »
never plugged my cummins in has started just fine to -24 below.

Offline bornhunter

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 09:28:02 PM »

What year?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 09:50:45 PM »
I advanced the timing on my cummins, it doesn't like cold starts now. 

I should put it back.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2019, 05:57:55 PM »
Ford, powerstrokes are different than the hi rail pressure dodge and chevrolets. They require hi pressure engine oil to fire the injectors , clean oil and possibly lighter weight oil in extreme weather will help starts . plugging them in warms the oil a bit and allows them to build pressure to start faster. good batteries are a must , when you check them make sure and disconnect one . any truck stop should carry a good anti gel additive , as welll keep clean fuel filters in them . 
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2019, 07:08:49 PM »
A lot of good info here. Keep it plugged in overnight if you can. It won’t hurt anything. It aids in a quicker warmup. What kind of truck is it? The big 3 have all switched to a common rail style fuel system which is a fantastic system unless you get water contamination. Ford lagged behind until the 6.7 came out. The big items will be your batteries. You can get insulated covers for them. Keep those in good shape and like others have said in colder climates fuel stations run winter blend which has a higher heat rating than summer blend. Adding cetane booster does the same thing. Winter front covers can keep your coolant temp up which is a must as it aids in proper emissions. You don’t want a plugged egr cooler. Watch your coolant temp. As long as it stays normal your good.  It sure what the temps get to over there but you shouldn’t have to go crazy. Might run 5w-40 motor oil. 15w-40 is usually good for right below freezing to over 100*. Check your owners manual. It will tell you a lot of info. If you have a newer truck it will already have synthetic oil in the power train. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 10:49:32 PM »

What year?

02 and 05

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 06:20:36 AM »
A lot of good info here. Keep it plugged in overnight if you can. It won’t hurt anything. It aids in a quicker warmup. What kind of truck is it? The big 3 have all switched to a common rail style fuel system which is a fantastic system unless you get water contamination. Ford lagged behind until the 6.7 came out. The big items will be your batteries. You can get insulated covers for them. Keep those in good shape and like others have said in colder climates fuel stations run winter blend which has a higher heat rating than summer blend. Adding cetane booster does the same thing. Winter front covers can keep your coolant temp up which is a must as it aids in proper emissions. You don’t want a plugged egr cooler. Watch your coolant temp. As long as it stays normal your good.  It sure what the temps get to over there but you shouldn’t have to go crazy. Might run 5w-40 motor oil. 15w-40 is usually good for right below freezing to over 100*. Check your owners manual. It will tell you a lot of info. If you have a newer truck it will already have synthetic oil in the power train. Good luck!
Your correct I forgot he has a 6.7l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 06:27:35 AM »
Ford, powerstrokes are different than the hi rail pressure dodge and chevrolets. They require hi pressure engine oil to fire the injectors , clean oil and possibly lighter weight oil in extreme weather will help starts . plugging them in warms the oil a bit and allows them to build pressure to start faster. good batteries are a must , when you check them make sure and disconnect one . any truck stop should carry a good anti gel additive , as welll keep clean fuel filters in them .
When Cory speaks, I listen!!     :tup:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal