collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to bow hunting with practice questions...  (Read 10697 times)

Offline Dadsaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New to bow hunting with practice questions...
« on: December 31, 2018, 08:17:56 AM »
I live in Vancouver, WA and I'm interested in starting to learn to bow hunt now so that by next fall I'll be ready to go out for deer.  I only have enough room for 20-25 yard target in the backyard.  I know there is a range near me and I plan on taking some lessons.  I'm wondering if there is somewhere I can go and shoot at longer distances when the time comes.  There are several playing fields near me but I have no idea the legality of shooting in public spaces.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: New to bow hunting with practice questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 08:23:44 AM »
@pianoman9701

P man might know.

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 08:40:07 AM »
Do you have a bow? What kind? Traditional or compound?

Have you deer hunted before?

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 08:43:28 AM »
Go to a archery range, most ranges have from 10-50yds. That is usually about the distance you'll be shooting. Watch YOUTUBE, don't pay for lessons. Pretty basic honestly.
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline Dadsaster

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 08:58:51 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  I've shot targets with traditional bow and arrow as a kid.  I've shot a compound bow once or twice.  I have about 20 years of rust to knock off.  I haven't purchased a bow yet and am looking to check out my local pro shop this week.

I would imagine that range fees add up quick.

Offline NorseNW

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 09:00:05 AM »
Dadsaster - don't do it!!!!!!!   It's a horribly addicting sport.  I'm hoping I can get diagnosed with an addiction soon so Blue Cross can start picking up my expenses.  I took the nock above class at archery world a few years ago when I got back into archery after a 20 year hiatus.  I shot recurve because that was what my wife was shooting.  Really doesn't matter what you shoot for the class the fundamentals are the same.  The class really improved my shooting and the staff was very helpful.  Shooting there in general has also been helpful.  Other shooters on the line will sometimes give you pointers.  You can tell who knows what they are doing and who doesn't.  Unfortunately that does not solve your yardage issue as they only go out to 25 yards at the shop.

Finding a buddy or coworker with property that will let you shoot at their place is an option for yardage.   My solution has been to drive up to Gifford Pinchot or Larch Mtn and find a spot.  A short walk will normally get you away from the rifle / pistol shooters.

I would not suggest shooting at a local practice field.  People tend to loose their minds in town about "shooting" in city limits and you are really opening yourself to liability because you can't control someone walking their dog in the morning or something like that.  I applaud your efforts though as I used to shoot at our high school football practice field when I was in school.  Just had to be very early in the morning before the walkers came out.   Even when they did come out no one called the cops.  Times were a bit different in the 80's in backwoods Pennsylvania!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 09:04:54 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  I've shot targets with traditional bow and arrow as a kid.  I've shot a compound bow once or twice.  I have about 20 years of rust to knock off.  I haven't purchased a bow yet and am looking to check out my local pro shop this week.

You can go down to either Shilapoo or Vancouver Lake hunting areas and will have plenty of room to set up targets at whatever yardages you want. PM me with you name and phone number and I'll call you with directions or other suggestions.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline luckyman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 10:15:34 AM »
  I haven't purchased a bow yet and am looking to check out my local pro shop this week.

Your local pro shop is a great place to start and ask about where to shot. Range fees are fairly cheap at most places.
I'm not sure.

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 10:24:39 AM »
I would caution anyone getting into archery to not get too focused on shooting from longer distances.
There's no difference between a 25 yard shot and a 50 yard shot in regard to form/technique.
You nock your arrow, draw back, anchor, release, and follow through the same regardless of distance.
Taking that daily dozen shots at 20 yards in the backyard is going to give you more than if you wait to take 50 shots at 50 yards on the weekend.
Also, don't fall for the trap of thinking you need to draw 80 lbs. Start at a comfortable draw weight and increase as your shoulder allows. All you need is a 45 lb draw weight to hunt deer legally.
Have fun with it all.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »
I think your on the right path, If I could go back and tell my younger self to get a couple lessons from a trained archer i would. Would save breaking habits down the road. As far as distance don't sweat it, 20 yards is enough to build reps. It can get boring, so challenge yourself with small spots, games with buddies and mix it up whenever you can to shoot longer ranges or 3ds.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 11:40:00 AM »
Nearly complete list of clubs And pro shops in the state

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XyBtV9x8eYJtCFXZ67MFISQBAHOdLTXO/view
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline NorseNW

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »
Seahawk and blackvelvet beat me to it

I wanted to follow up and say there is A LOT to cover in your garage to 25 yards.  Reps is the key.  Can't beat going through your shooting montra (sorry just what I call mine) - stance / grip / draw / anchor / - you get the idea.  I do plenty of just blind bale shooting to make all that second nature.

Do I challenge myself with long distance shots - you bet.  I enjoy it.  Also no better way to throw $20 into a bunch of trees to never be found again if you push it a little to far!

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 12:19:31 PM »
Any time I get a new trad bow I start at 5 yards. I put a target of a blank piece of cardboard or white construction paper and put 6 black dots about the size of a quarter on it. One arrow per dot. Don’t move back until you can shoot all 6 arrows into the black. Touching counts. Then go to 10 yards. Then back to 8. Then 15. Then 20. Etc. it really helps you build your form. Now with my compound I started at 10 and I’m just moving back 10 yards at a time.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 12:50:16 PM »
Seahawk and blackvelvet beat me to it

I wanted to follow up and say there is A LOT to cover in your garage to 25 yards.  Reps is the key.  Can't beat going through your shooting montra (sorry just what I call mine) - stance / grip / draw / anchor / - you get the idea.  I do plenty of just blind bale shooting to make all that second nature.

Do I challenge myself with long distance shots - you bet.  I enjoy it.  Also no better way to throw $20 into a bunch of trees to never be found again if you push it a little to far!
   :yeah: once your pins are set and every shot is essentially the same. My backyard is only 14 yards but it's plenty how to build muscle memory. I shoot 10 perfect arrows and night and whether I'm feeling good or not I hang it up after 10. Fatigue will build bad habits quicker than anything so if you keep your practice session short you'll mitigate that. Adding Bungie exercises can help build draw strength more quickly.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Dadsaster

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 10:01:36 AM »
I'm blown away by the responses here!  Thanks everyone.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]