collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leupold dial problems  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Ajj828

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Leupold dial problems
« on: December 31, 2018, 06:45:30 PM »
I have a leupold vx2 CDS scope and it’s a really good scope but the only problem I’m having is that it keeps coming out of its zero. The elevation dial gets adjusted super easily on accident when I’m strapping the rifle to my pack or carrying it on my sling. The dial gets moved and I have to make a 50/50 decision on which way the dial was turned while on my pack. I have tightend the dial down as much as it can go without stripping the little bolts. Should I just tape the dial down? I just like having a 200 yard zero and will never need to actually adjust it. I have not ordered my free cds dial it’s the original dial that is on the rifle.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Leupold dial problems
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 07:15:23 PM »
I have a leupold vx2 CDS scope and it’s a really good scope but the only problem I’m having is that it keeps coming out of its zero. The elevation dial gets adjusted super easily on accident when I’m strapping the rifle to my pack or carrying it on my sling. The dial gets moved and I have to make a 50/50 decision on which way the dial was turned while on my pack. I have tightend the dial down as much as it can go without stripping the little bolts. Should I just tape the dial down? I just like having a 200 yard zero and will never need to actually adjust it. I have not ordered my free cds dial it’s the original dial that is on the rifle.

I thought the CDS had a zero stop on it? Mine does on th Vx2 and also a zero lock on my VX6

Online Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 07:21:54 PM »
I would give Leupold a call.  They stand behind their products and will fix it.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 07:22:44 PM »
You can order a single revolution dial, or can even modify the one you have to limit to one rev. It stops at your zero and gives you almost one rev up.

Offline Randonee

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 07:31:22 PM »
Bullblaster, I’m wondering if you could describe how to do the modification, or know where it can be found. I have a vx-3 CDS I’d like to make have a zero stop or limit it to one turn.  Thanks for any info. 

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 07:41:51 PM »
I know it works on the vx3 and I think the vx 2 is the same.  If you take the turret cap off and turn it over there is a hole drilled in the bottom. When they make the single rev caps they index that hole so that a ball bearing ( or small piece of metal) glued in can stop the rotation of the turret. I’ll get some pictures

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 07:44:43 PM »
This picture shows a nonzerostop cap on the left (empty drilled hole) and a zerostop cap on the right (ball bearing in the hole)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 07:45:41 PM »
This picture shows the placement (indexing of the zerostop in relation to the outside markings. You want it 1/2 moa below zero

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 07:47:37 PM »
This one shows how it works. There is a little tooth or tab that sticks up on the scope body inside the turret cap (end of Allen key points at it) your ball bearing or other metal piece hits that and stops rotation. You want it to rest on the right edge of that tab when at zero and then it will limit you to just short of a revolution when you dial up.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 07:50:34 PM »
So all you need to do is drill a small hole inside the track on the inside of the turret cap at 14.25 moa (3 clicks below or to the right of zero) marking and press or glue a stop in there. Just be sure it doesn’t extend out of the little track.

Offline Randonee

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 07:56:51 PM »
Bullblaster, great info and explanation. Very much appreciated!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 07:57:57 PM »
Bullblaster, great info and explanation. Very much appreciated!
i was hoping I could convey it well enough so people could understand  :chuckle:

#makehuntwagreatagain

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 08:32:40 PM »
This cracks me up, the first thing I do when I get a CDS scope is take a file and file down the little tab so I can have multiple revolutions on the dial. :chuckle:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 08:50:20 PM »
This cracks me up, the first thing I do when I get a CDS scope is take a file and file down the little tab so I can have multiple revolutions on the dial. :chuckle:
The moa dial that comes with it can spin all the times around even without filing the tab off.  :chuckle:

Offline royalbull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 06:50:58 AM »

I like multiple revolutions also but with one revolution of my Mark 5 being 1400 yards I doubt I'll ever need more than one

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 07:21:40 AM »
You can also send your cap in and leupold will press the bearing in like bullblaster showed.  They will do this free of charge when I called them about it. 

Offline Randonee

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 05:42:11 PM »
It appears that Leupold does not add the zero stop for free any longer. I called them today and was told I need to buy a new cap (MOA with zero stop) through their Custom Shop for $80.  Instead, ordered some small ball bearings and will follow the directions provided by Bullblaster.  I ordered 5/64” ball bearings and will post how it works out. 

Offline lazydrifter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 08:33:59 AM »

Offline Randonee

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 05:20:02 PM »
Just a follow up on how this worked out for me.  I ordered 5/64” ball bearings from Amazon for $8.95 for a hundred. I pressed the ball bearing into the existing, factory, hole in the cap, which takes a tiny bit of force.  I used a small arbor press.  I think the statement in the 24hourcampfire link that the hole is a #48 drill bit is correct, so my 5/64” ball bearing is just larger than the hole. Maybe I should have drilled out the hole to be a bit larger, but it seemed to work fine and the ball bearing will not fall out on its own.

I have two vx-3 scopes and the holes that are pre-drilled by Leupold are in quite different places relative to the zero mark, which is a bit odd to me, but corresponds to what some other folks have found.  Nevertheless, I used these holes because I don’t care if it stops at zero, I just want it to stop somewhere down from zero so that I can easily put the dial back to my zero if it is accidentally turned.  I guess if I want it to stop at zero I’ll drill a hole in the appropriate spot in the future. I suppose one advantage of the cap stop being down from zero is if I’m using a new load that is hitting high, I don’t need to loosen the cap to make an adjustment to sight it in (I can loosen the cap to reset it to zero later).

Modified to note that: since the dial has just one turn, you probably don’t want to use the factory hole if it is much below the printed zero on the cap.  That would limited your elevation adjustment. 

Thanks again for the great info everyone.  Once I received the ball beaings it took about 60 seconds to do both caps.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:37:05 PM by Randonee »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU