collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need some gear suggestions for 2019  (Read 11928 times)

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
Re: Need some gear suggestions for 2019
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 03:06:17 AM »
Ive got a brand new eureka below freezing mummy bag Im never gonna use, I bought it and realisticly never used it, then when I did, it was slightly claustrophobic but man it kept me warm by myself.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 03:10:05 AM »
Ive got a brand new eureka below freezing mummy bag Im never gonna use, I bought it and realisticly never used it, then when I did, it was slightly claustrophobic but man it kept me warm by myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyke-Byke-Down-Sleeping-Backpacking/dp/B01HNPJWFI/ref=pd_aw_sbs_468_3/144-3157993-6854637?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01HNPJWFI&pd_rd_r=2622b2bd-1591-11e9-ba73-3f18b729ac20&pd_rd_w=Myk82&pd_rd_wg=dITV4&pf_rd_p=926ebe02-3236-40c6-ac63-01ad178f498a&pf_rd_r=KQ5PVXYKRRCXCV84ZN41&refRID=KQ5PVXYKRRCXCV84ZN41&th=1&psc=1
Seems solid.
I dont buy anything without checking reviews tbh.

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 05:15:56 AM »
I would suggest looking at REI garage sales for like new gear for big discounts. I found a Marmot Helium bag, BA Fly Creek UL2 tent and a Thermarest Neoair pad that looked and smelled like they had never been used for under $400. You can also get into a decent tarp/bivy sack combo for fairly cheap if you dont mind going floorless.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 05:17:41 AM »
Some hunters on this site wont purchase from REI. Just saying
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2019, 06:42:18 AM »
Washington IMO is a hammock paradise, Really unless your housing your friends everyone should be rocking a duel layer hammock, bug net, and rain fly. Takes 1/3 time to assemble.

So...
Way faster to assemble in a rain storm, way higher resilience to wind, dryer, safer, warmer "unless your rockin a stove".

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2019, 06:00:44 PM »
Floorless shelters are just as quick and way roomier.

A hammock is definitely an option but they are far from the universally best option
Washington IMO is a hammock paradise, Really unless your housing your friends everyone should be rocking a duel layer hammock, bug net, and rain fly. Takes 1/3 time to assemble.

So...
Way faster to assemble in a rain storm, way higher resilience to wind, dryer, safer, warmer "unless your rockin a stove".

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 06:55:46 PM »
Hammocks are the best.

For napping in my backyard or in a campground. Otherwise I'll take a floorless shelter 99/99 times
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 07:00:05 PM »
Try a friends hammock out first. Not close to being a comfortable sleep. And, us old salts call em bear burritos  8)
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2019, 08:34:27 PM »
Quilts are amazing if you learn how to use them.  Very versatile piece but they are gonna be drafty so if it's real cold, you gotta strap em down to eliminate the issue.  Also need a beanie if its cold as they dont have hood.  I also recommend bumping up the temp rating on a quilt.  Instead of a 30 go 15.  Instead of a 20 run a 0.  I went with a zero degree quilt from EE.  I've used it to single digits.  Zero seems excessive but the beauty of a quilt is if its warm out you can throw it back, kick a leg out, etc to regulate temp.  Mine weighs 20oz so even if it only got me down to 20-25 degrees it's still much lighter and compact than most any 20 degree mummy bag and is mine thousand times more enjoyable to sleep in.

:yeah:

I actually use my mummy as a quilt now and when it gets real cold I just zip it up and deal with it.  I sleep 10 X better with a quilt but they are a bit trickier during winter.  I froze my stones so many times in college with cheap bags and comforters I don't care if my bag weighs 10 pounds, I'm hauling it and staying warm.  I have stayed to -20 in it but that was with three pads and a goretex bivy sack.

if you can afford it, at least two different bags/quilts is the way to go.  If not, it is just another bit of weight and a bit of space to haul the winter bag with you.  If you only archery hunt in September, you can get away with one.  The sleeping bag/quit is probably the only area where I don't care what the weight or cost is.

Offline HikerHunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2019, 08:50:14 AM »
So I plan on trying a high hunt in 2019 or 2020 and I’m slowly buying gear I may need. I’m a new hunter and have only been hunting 3 years so I am slowly building my gear list up. I want to do a 4 day high hunt.

Important gear I know I need:
Tent/ tarp
Sleeping bag (used a $15 Walmart bag for elk hunting this year with 3 other blankets so I learned my lesson  :bdid: )
Sleeping pad
Trekking poles
Pillow
Water filtration device
Stove
Portable charger

If anyone can recommend any brands to me that would be great. Not looking to buy a $600 tent or sleeping bag. Looking at about $200 max for a bag and $200-$300 for a tent. Would like to keep costs low but I do really hate buying low quality and wasting money.

I feel you, it can add up quick when you are looking at quality, light gear. I highly agree with the recommendation of buying quality stuff once. Make due with what you have until you can afford something of good quality. It took me years to afford getting my overnight hunting pack weight down. I was able to keep the cost down on some items by buying used, waiting for sales, or buying from discount websites.

Unless you want a four season tent, I'd budget $100 for the tent and $300-400 for the bag. I have an Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 3 that works great in rain and light snow and is just over 5 pounds that I got from a discount website for $100. I have a Western Mountaineering bag that is absolutely awesome and light but they are expensive. I found a used one for about $250 though.

I have a Thermarest Neoair pad that is super light and thick. I got it at REI with the 20% member coupon. I was worried about it popping and wanted a place with a good return policy. Then they quickly changed their return policy...

Don't know my brand of trekking poles off the top my head, but they are a must-have when carrying a heavy load down the mountain.

I've never used a pillow, but if I did, I would get one that could also be used to sit on when glassing.

The Sawyer filter is the best I've used. Its light and pretty cheap too.

Jetboils are great, small efficient stoves, no secret there. But I used a little cheap Brunton Raptor for a long time. It just took longer to boil and used more fuel.

There are lots of great portable chargers out there. I'd focus on what size you need which is a factor of how many items you want to charge and how many times they will need to be charged. You might need to do a test run at home with them on or in the woods to nail that down accurately.

My biggest advice is to get out there this year. Don't wait for 2020! Good luck!

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2019, 09:24:20 AM »

I was worried about it popping and wanted a place with a good return policy. Then they quickly changed their return policy...

Sorry to do this, but it really gets to me when it's assumed that mats just "pop". So I'd like to debunk the myth of "popping mats".

Mats don't just pop, just like your bike tires, or truck tires don't just randomly blow up while sitting in your drive way. A mat gets punctured from the ground it's put on, debris in the tent, etc., just like when you unfortunately drive over a nail on the freeway. A mat that leaks CAN be repaired easily either in the field (if you know where the puncture is) or when you return home by contacting the mat's manufacturer. We have a full mat repair facility at our Tacoma office for our sleeping mats and can turn them around in as little as 48-72 hours if necessary. Yes, there are sometimes factors that aren't a puncture that might cause the leak, but it's still preferred to contact the manufacturer to discuss the repair and/or warranty.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 09:46:19 AM »
Few things  I wanted to mention earlier and forgot:

If income allows it, get high end gear.  You'll be more comfortable and your pack will weigh less.  If budget is tight for gear then dont sweat it.  A cheap eureka 15° bag, a blue tarp, and a $50 pad will get you by just fine.  Shop around and NEVER pay full retail  :chuckle:

Backpack hunting looks sexy and is the hot thing right now but for most new comers, perception. Is not reality.  More guys spend thousands on gear, use it once, and hate every second, than guys who stick with it.  Nothing wrong with starting cheap and testing the waters. 

Start in your back yard.  Learn to use your gear at home before you get on the mountain.  Better to learn that you hate mummy bags spending the night in the back yard, rather than 7 miles up a mountain.  Use the spring to expand.  Use your backpacking gear on an overnighter truck camping trip.  Or weekend fishing excursion with some solid day hikes.  Test the waters before you dive in so to speak.  Then when you feel you can pitch your shelter, sleep well with your system, food plan is adequate for energy output, etc., then dive into the hills. 

Did a whole hell of a lot of backpacking with garbage gear and survived just fine. I love the suck though.  Best gear in the world wont make you love backpack hunting.  Testing your mind and body will.  The gear can be squared as you go and could save you thousands of dollars in the process :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 09:51:52 AM »

I was worried about it popping and wanted a place with a good return policy. Then they quickly changed their return policy...

Sorry to do this, but it really gets to me when it's assumed that mats just "pop". So I'd like to debunk the myth of "popping mats".

Mats don't just pop, just like your bike tires, or truck tires don't just randomly blow up while sitting in your drive way. A mat gets punctured from the ground it's put on, debris in the tent, etc., just like when you unfortunately drive over a nail on the freeway. A mat that leaks CAN be repaired easily either in the field (if you know where the puncture is) or when you return home by contacting the mat's manufacturer. We have a full mat repair facility at our Tacoma office for our sleeping mats and can turn them around in as little as 48-72 hours if necessary. Yes, there are sometimes factors that aren't a puncture that might cause the leak, but it's still preferred to contact the manufacturer to discuss the repair and/or warranty.
while I've never used an EXPED, ive had to warranty several pads for slow seam or valve leaks over the years.  Never an issue getting them warrantied for stuff like that.  Popped my fair share as well :bash:  if you hunt hard and use your gear there is no such thing as the "last me a lifetime" piece of gear.  Failures happen.  Know how to patch your pad WHEN you pop it.  Carry tenacious tape.  Itll fix most pad punctures, clothing tears, or holes in your sleeping bag.  Nothing worse than waking up to a tent that looks like you murdered a flock of geese in  :chuckle: :bash:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline HikerHunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 08:52:31 PM »

That’s funny, I didn’t like the word “popping” either when I typed it, but couldn’t think of a better one at the time. “Puncture” would be a better word, but it any case, no matter how well you try to clear your tent area, you might miss something, especially in the dark. Or even rubbing against something in your park for a few hours could do it. Lightweight materials don’t last forever, it’s a matter of time before you get a “puncture”.

Okay, back to the thread!

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2019, 02:54:14 AM »
I need to find someone who bought very nice gear but never uses it .  SO i can take it and use it haha. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]