collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The KETO thread  (Read 30595 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: The KETO thread
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2019, 06:02:59 PM »
It made two full trays

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2019, 08:29:01 PM »
Yum. I really miss crackers...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2019, 02:42:14 PM »
Started 3 weeks at 300lbs on the dotdown 15lbs if I get down to 250 I'm buying myself a new bow.  I give myself 1 cheat day a week, not like fast food cheat but sushi or pizza maybe a beer or 2.  Also do some light cardio 5 times a week for 20-40 minutes.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2019, 02:54:14 PM »
Started 3 weeks at 300lbs on the dotdown 15lbs if I get down to 250 I'm buying myself a new bow.  I give myself 1 cheat day a week, not like fast food cheat but sushi or pizza maybe a beer or 2.  Also do some light cardio 5 times a week for 20-40 minutes.

nice work on the progress and it sounds like you are taking in fewer calories with keto but not reaching and sustaining ketosis based on your "cheat" days.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2019, 09:43:04 PM »
Anybody have any creative scrambled egg routines? I've been chopping up some ham and peppers along with cheese and it is tasty but looking for some additional ideas. 3 eggs in the morning get me through till about 1st dinner usually.

Hopped of ketosis for a short bit as my cousin sent me a box full of carbs ( :chuckle: :bash:) this weekend so should be back on it here in a few days. She's a damn good Baker so I felt obligated to devour them :chuckle:.

Down 15 lbs this month with 5-10 to go but should come off easy when I start my 12 weeks of hell tomorrow.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2019, 10:12:53 PM »
I like eggs,bacon, avocado and feta myself with a little hot sauce

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2019, 04:31:51 AM »
4 eggs, 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, salt and pepper.
Add any meat and vegetables you want.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline HarboritE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2019, 01:18:53 PM »
After i was in " ketosis" for awhile, i could have a pretty heavy cheat meal and remain in ketosis. We have the pee strips. Eating a carb heavy meal after in ketosis made me feel like crap so it was easy to hop right back in.

Offline frazierw

• Scout
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2019, 01:51:37 PM »
While this diet is good for weight loss, there are scientific studies showing that it isnt great for your cardiovascular health.  Is that a worry for anyone? 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2019, 02:04:05 PM »
While this diet is good for weight loss, there are scientific studies showing that it isnt great for your cardiovascular health.  Is that a worry for anyone?

Are there legitimate long term studies that show this, or just the assumption that if you eat meat and fat you will fall over?

There is so much bad information out there it is hard to sort through.  The medical study world is almost criminal in the way it works and most of them you can't even read without paying insane prices.

From what I have read, in general, Americans have followed the health advice to eat less fat and more carbs (grain).  Disease went from bad to bad squared.  Most doctors have maybe one light course in nutrition that contains the advice that has proven to not work.  Very slowly, the medical community is reluctantly admitting that fat isn't evil and you can't predict heart disease through a ridiculously simplified cholesterol number.

I don't think keto is the perfect diet, I don't think such a thing exists.  I think there are several diets that work very well (excluding the food pyramid diet aka SAD) and some might work better for certain people than others.

Improving insulin sensitivity and loosing weight are huge for all cause mortality reduction and keto has been proven to do that very effectively.

I keep reading and trying new things.  I went to practically zero carb and it sucked for me.  I tried some other things and they didn't work either, its been a process of educated trial and error.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2019, 02:13:11 PM »
Diet, exercise, treats in moderation,  limit the booze, add in some extra T....bingo.

Offline frazierw

• Scout
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2019, 02:18:31 PM »

Are there legitimate long term studies that show this, or just the assumption that if you eat meat and fat you will fall over?

There is so much bad information out there it is hard to sort through.  The medical study world is almost criminal in the way it works and most of them you can't even read without paying insane prices.

From what I have read, in general, Americans have followed the health advice to eat less fat and more carbs (grain).  Disease went from bad to bad squared.  Most doctors have maybe one light course in nutrition that contains the advice that has proven to not work.  Very slowly, the medical community is reluctantly admitting that fat isn't evil and you can't predict heart disease through a ridiculously simplified cholesterol number.

I don't think keto is the perfect diet, I don't think such a thing exists.  I think there are several diets that work very well (excluding the food pyramid diet aka SAD) and some might work better for certain people than others.

Improving insulin sensitivity and loosing weight are huge for all cause mortality reduction and keto has been proven to do that very effectively.

I keep reading and trying new things.  I went to practically zero carb and it sucked for me.  I tried some other things and they didn't work either, its been a process of educated trial and error.

Here is what i found, and it isnt necessarily the Keto diet, but all low carb diets:

During a median follow-up of 25 years there were 6283 deaths in the ARIC cohort, and there were 40 181 deaths across all cohort studies. In the ARIC cohort, after multivariable adjustment, there was a U-shaped association between the percentage of energy consumed from carbohydrate (mean 48·9%, SD 9·4) and mortality: a percentage of 50–55% energy from carbohydrate was associated with the lowest risk of mortality. In the meta-analysis of all cohorts (432 179 participants), both low carbohydrate consumption (<40%) and high carbohydrate consumption (>70%) conferred greater mortality risk than did moderate intake, which was consistent with a U-shaped association (pooled hazard ratio 1·20, 95% CI 1·09–1·32 for low carbohydrate consumption; 1·23, 1·11–1·36 for high carbohydrate consumption). However, results varied by the source of macronutrients: mortality increased when carbohydrates were exchanged for animal-derived fat or protein (1·18, 1·08–1·29) and mortality decreased when the substitutions were plant-based (0·82, 0·78–0·87).

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2019, 02:32:16 PM »
The problem with those studies is the quality of the data.  They handed out questionnaires to people who had to remember what kind of food and what amounts and how frequently they ate for the previous couple of years.  This is known to be highly inaccurate as one can imagine.  From there, they had to try to adjust out all of the other factors that could cause a guy to die like smoking, drinking, getting hit by a bus, diabetes, sex, level of education, income and a ton of other variables.  Again, relying on people to honestly and accurately report that stuff.  Once that was done and all the adjustments were made, I'm not sure you have anything resembling reality left.

Once you get the data, you can make all kinds of analysis and graphs, but if the data isn't accurate, the results have no meaning.

Another problem is that the study doesn't differentiate the sources of the macro nutrients.  Sugar and broccoli are both plant based carbs.  CAFO beef and salmon are both fatty meats.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2019, 02:40:56 PM »
Here is a quote from the journal that published:

The dominant diets of the past 50 years are a major contributor to climate change and are no longer nutritionally optimal.

The report suggests policies to eliminate and restrict food choice, including new taxes and charges, as well as withdrawing products from sale and in some cases rationing.

They are calling for a "sustainable" diet in order to combat climate change.  The co-leader of the commission is a guy from the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany.

"Our definition of sustainable food production requires that we use no additional land, safeguard existing biodiversity, reduce consumptive water use and manage water responsibly, substantially reduce nitrogen and phosphorus pollution, produce zero carbon dioxide emissions, and cause no further increase in methane and nitrous oxide emissions."

Again, looking past the fancy graphs reveals a bunch of information and things aren't always like they seem.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2019, 02:46:33 PM »
Cows are Bad!

Keto = Cows!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]