collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The KETO thread  (Read 30709 times)

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
Re: The KETO thread
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2019, 03:02:56 PM »
Yeah they went fast. I got a week supply of cookies and cream a couple weeks ago and I was able to get an order in for a weeks worth of the mocha.  So dense I can only really do 1/2 a bar and I get super full.  I am going to try some of the make at home versions but I like having something to base it off of prior to burning through supplies.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2019, 03:05:36 PM »
I make two sizes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K03FH54/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That one is about half of the Keto Brick, or about 500 calories if you fill it up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WTLQWW/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These make snack sized ones, I use the smaller or middle size.

You can make small batches and perfect your recipe, it's basically just melting the cocoa butter, adding your dry ingredients, stirring and then putting it into the mold and let it harden either at room temp or in the refrigerator.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #182 on: March 22, 2019, 03:58:06 PM »
I'm back  :hello:

gained a few lbs back, ended up naturally staying half keto anyways.  Even with a month + off I still didn't gravitate to carbs although I did like sugar stuff.

back on KETO as of today, hopefully 20 more lbs to drop I'll be doing good.

Offline CLARKTAR

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2019, 05:31:46 PM »
I make two sizes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K03FH54/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That one is about half of the Keto Brick, or about 500 calories if you fill it up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WTLQWW/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These make snack sized ones, I use the smaller or middle size.

You can make small batches and perfect your recipe, it's basically just melting the cocoa butter, adding your dry ingredients, stirring and then putting it into the mold and let it harden either at room temp or in the refrigerator.
Can you post up a few of the recipes you like or have tried? If you know the macros for the. I would be interested in that also!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2019, 08:02:22 AM »
Just started keto last Sunday, so far super easy.  Never really had a sweet tooth.  Quit chewing a little over a year ago and put on 15-20 lbs.  Looking to go from 205 down to 185. 
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2019, 11:16:11 AM »
The brick thing is pretty personal, my favorites are inedible by my wife.  You can make them salty, pretty plain, super sweet, flavored or whatever.  In general, they take a bunch of flavor from the protein powder and other things you add.  The cacao butter is very plain by itself.  I tend to make them salty and very little sweetness so I am not tempted to crush 10,000 calories while watching tv.

To start, try a roughly 5:1 cacao to protein powder ratio (in servings).  This would be 1 scoop of protein powder to 2.5 oz of cacao butter.

To that, you can add any or all of the following:

Flax seed (grind super fine in a coffee grinder) - 2 tbsp
Cocoa nibs (ground super fine) - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coffee to taste, start with 1.5 tsp and go up from there, ground super fine
Favorite sweetener (erythritol, stevia, monk fruit, etc) to taste - I don't like sweet so I can't offer much guidance here
Other flavorings, supplements, whatever you want to throw in there.  My next batch might have chopped nuts, low carb choc. chips or something like that.

A couple things I learned:

1.  Grind stuff super fine or it will settle during the cooling process and leave layers.  It looks cool, but a layer of unsweetened stuff isn't very tasty.  It is also pretty gritty and hard to chew.
2.  Mix all the dry ingredients very well before adding to the liquid cocoa butter, a clump of salt in the middle sucks.  Mix between every couple pours on a big batch just to make sure.
3.  Chop the cocoa butter as fine as you can or it will take forever to melt.  Microwave in a pyrex measuring bowl with pour spout for a minute at a time and then stir about 20x longer than you think is necessary between microwave minutes.  It melts super slow and you won't need as much microwave time as you think you do.  Then, mix in dry ingredients super well and pour into mold.
4.  The ingredient ratios don't matter too much, you can have these be virtually all fat, or a bunch of protein and fat or in the middle.  The cocoa butter holds it all together very well.
5.  They hold together well and are pretty hard but do melt if left in the sun or a hot car.  I had some melt in the recent good weather during a basketball game.  You can wrap them in foil which helps.  They are hard at room temp, much harder than a regular bar and more crumbly to eat, not chewy.
6.  If you have your mold on a baking sheet before you pour you will be able to easily move it into the frige or cooling space.  If you don't life will suck if you try to move it.
7.  As I mentioned, most of the taste comes from the protein powder, you can use chocolate, cookies and cream or whatever.  You can also add extra cocoa powder or more flavoring if you like them that way.  Again, mine are more savory than desert like but you can have them super sweet and chocolaty, coconut, or whatever floats your boat.

Macros for the above ratios in the brick shaped silicone mold I posted earlier is roughly 500 calories, 8 carbs (6 fiber), 47 fat, 5 protein plus however much protein powder you add (protein and calories not included in these macros).

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2019, 11:41:52 AM »
The brick thing is pretty personal, my favorites are inedible by my wife.  You can make them salty, pretty plain, super sweet, flavored or whatever.  In general, they take a bunch of flavor from the protein powder and other things you add.  The cacao butter is very plain by itself.  I tend to make them salty and very little sweetness so I am not tempted to crush 10,000 calories while watching tv.

To start, try a roughly 5:1 cacao to protein powder ratio (in servings).  This would be 1 scoop of protein powder to 2.5 oz of cacao butter.

To that, you can add any or all of the following:

Flax seed (grind super fine in a coffee grinder) - 2 tbsp
Cocoa nibs (ground super fine) - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coffee to taste, start with 1.5 tsp and go up from there, ground super fine
Favorite sweetener (erythritol, stevia, monk fruit, etc) to taste - I don't like sweet so I can't offer much guidance here
Other flavorings, supplements, whatever you want to throw in there.  My next batch might have chopped nuts, low carb choc. chips or something like that.

A couple things I learned:

1.  Grind stuff super fine or it will settle during the cooling process and leave layers.  It looks cool, but a layer of unsweetened stuff isn't very tasty.  It is also pretty gritty and hard to chew.
2.  Mix all the dry ingredients very well before adding to the liquid cocoa butter, a clump of salt in the middle sucks.  Mix between every couple pours on a big batch just to make sure.
3.  Chop the cocoa butter as fine as you can or it will take forever to melt.  Microwave in a pyrex measuring bowl with pour spout for a minute at a time and then stir about 20x longer than you think is necessary between microwave minutes.  It melts super slow and you won't need as much microwave time as you think you do.  Then, mix in dry ingredients super well and pour into mold.
4.  The ingredient ratios don't matter too much, you can have these be virtually all fat, or a bunch of protein and fat or in the middle.  The cocoa butter holds it all together very well.
5.  They hold together well and are pretty hard but do melt if left in the sun or a hot car.  I had some melt in the recent good weather during a basketball game.  You can wrap them in foil which helps.  They are hard at room temp, much harder than a regular bar and more crumbly to eat, not chewy.
6.  If you have your mold on a baking sheet before you pour you will be able to easily move it into the frige or cooling space.  If you don't life will suck if you try to move it.
7.  As I mentioned, most of the taste comes from the protein powder, you can use chocolate, cookies and cream or whatever.  You can also add extra cocoa powder or more flavoring if you like them that way.  Again, mine are more savory than desert like but you can have them super sweet and chocolaty, coconut, or whatever floats your boat.

Macros for the above ratios in the brick shaped silicone mold I posted earlier is roughly 500 calories, 8 carbs (6 fiber), 47 fat, 5 protein plus however much protein powder you add (protein and calories not included in these macros).
I had my wife make these for me. I really like them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #187 on: March 23, 2019, 12:15:07 PM »
Awesome thank you for the info.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #188 on: March 23, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
That recipe looks good
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline Brad Harshman

• Longhunter
« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2019, 05:51:56 PM »
Alright - been strictly keto for a month now.  I love it.  Went shed hunting Sunday, hiked ten miles, never have I had such steady/even energy. But I'm reading this thread and some of you state you'll stop keto once hunting season starts.  Why?  What am I missing?

Offline trophyelk6x6

• Longhunter
« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2019, 06:17:56 PM »
Keto is great for us growing older lower testosterone guys lol. I do it 5 out of 7 days per week. Then it's game on Friday thru sunday :chuckle:

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2019, 06:54:40 PM »
Alright - been strictly keto for a month now.  I love it.  Went shed hunting Sunday, hiked ten miles, never have I had such steady/even energy. But I'm reading this thread and some of you state you'll stop keto once hunting season starts.  Why?  What am I missing?

Pretty hard to follow Keto while backcountry and no refigeration. At least in my experience.

I’m sure there are options I haven’t thought of.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2019, 07:45:13 PM »
You can do keto in the backcountry, but you have to think out of the box as there are not many, if any, commercial solutions.  Fat and protein are dense and compact which is awesome as far as bulk and weight.

I can eat just about anything and don't need variety, so it's fairly easy.  When I'm hunting I naturally drift to way under eating and have to force myself to eat.  Other guys have no problems pounding a bunch of food and are always hungry.

The one thing about keto or even lower carb is that you don't get the blood sugar swings which is awesome.  I couldn't believe how much I could do on such little food once I got fat adapted.  A couple years ago I was doing a ton of training and events and did several Gorucks on little to no food.  Guys around me were crashing but I was nice and level with energy.  I didn't have the sugar highs, but I would gladly trade those for never ending energy with no walls.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2019, 08:14:39 PM »
Here is the thing I removed sugar. So none of the in store jerky, sausages, hot dogs etc can be eaten all that stuff and many bacons have sugar or corn syrup. So pretty much its really high end stuff or make my own. Heck I struggled to find smoked salmon that didnt contain sugar.

Its a lifestyle for me, it is all about not feeling sick. Still havent lost weight according to the scales but my pants will not stay up. Guess I gotta buy new pants.

Its easy to follow when the alternative is horrific stomach pains.

No beer but wine and some whiskey and gin is totally acceptable.
I am so happy to finally not feel like garbage every time I eat.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2019, 08:59:55 PM »
Pretty awesome, Run!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter