collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: the Methow is even worse off than I thought  (Read 54238 times)

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: the Methow is even worse off than I thought
« Reply #285 on: May 15, 2019, 08:34:02 AM »
"After white settlers took the land from native tribes in the area,"

I would say the writer doesn't have a clue about the history of the Valley!!!   BUT then it is written for the Seattle PI. :o
Saw that too. Should be after King George took the land from tribes that have been taking it from other tribes for thousands of years.

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #286 on: May 15, 2019, 10:36:52 AM »
"After white settlers took the land from native tribes in the area,"

I would say the writer doesn't have a clue about the history of the Valley!!!   BUT then it is written for the Seattle PI. :o
Saw that too. Should be after King George took the land from tribes that have been taking it from other tribes for thousands of years.

You mean since time immemorial! Yet we're responsible for past generations  :bash:

Offline no.cen.wa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #287 on: May 16, 2019, 07:35:23 AM »
Just have to say, there will always be mule deer,,, not in the methow, you'll be able to take your kids to the ZOO, I'm sure they will have one!
Next will be the ORCA going extinct, but don't worry you'll be able to take your kids the a museum to see a fishing pole, and maybe pictures of a hydro-electric dam, also the water for irrigation will be gone so eastern washington will become a desert again. It's a plan by many, just not me.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #288 on: May 16, 2019, 07:46:52 AM »
Eastern Washington crops and dam electricity mean way too much to the economy and unless we stop getting snow the dams will never be demolished.  :twocents:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Wunderlich33

• Hunter
  • You sure you know how to skin Griz?
« Reply #289 on: May 16, 2019, 02:06:50 PM »
no.cen.wa you have a real knack at showing yourself to be uneducated and completely out to be a internet troll.  We all know that within your posts you're trying to get a rise out of the members on this site.  The sad fact of the matter is that personally you probably have put in less conservation and wildlife restoration efforts than all Hunters and Fisherman across the country.

Please move out of your mothers basement, get a job, and become a quality member to society.  This is the "American Way" Yes, where you too can earn and participate in the things that interest you through hard work, taking ownership of decisions, failing at times / learning from those failures, and realizing the hard truth that others don't owe you anything.

Wunderlich OUT!!!           

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #290 on: May 16, 2019, 04:10:40 PM »
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline hardrichard

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA,
« Reply #291 on: May 16, 2019, 05:16:30 PM »
DING DING DING.........and in this corner  :chuckle:  make it a clean fight no rabbit punches etc...... :tup:

Offline no.cen.wa

• Hunter
« Reply #292 on: May 16, 2019, 09:37:14 PM »
Wunderlich33,
  yes I was being a little facetious, guess a little humor goes no where with you. I've tried in previous posts to give personal information about the history of the Methow Mule deer from five generations of our family hunting them.
 The herd is in great trouble and I think people are interested to hear views, I try to give mine. Also, I've planted trees, browse, and helped throw hay out for winter migration herds, been years ago now, but I did it, just never needed to tell anyone. Uneducated,, you know, my Grandfather had to quit school in the 8th grade because his family needed help, so he did what he could in the early 1900's working in a logging camp in the Stemelt hills south of Wenatchee. He was one of the smartest men I have known, he managed the Plymouth, and, Ford dealerships in Twisp in the 1940's. Managed the lumber yard in Okanogan in the 50's, and more logging in the Republic area where he pasted away in the 80's
 Funny thing you should say something about my Mothers basement,,, well, it was probably more my Dad's basement, that was where the wood stove was that heated the whole house and it was my younger brother and my job to keep it full of firewood, 24/7.
   But anyway, I did move out of the basement when I got drafted, married my wife of 50 years now, GOT A JOB,,, (before I moved out by the way) and while I worked over 42 years for a local company I was a volunteer fireman for 25 years in our local community. I did make some mistakes along the way, and unlike some, I took responsibility and tried to do better next time. I figured out right away in life, no one owes me anything, I worked hard, honest day's work for honest days pay,, that's all I was owed!
 Now, that being said, the herd is hurting, the WDFW has an agenda I don't agree with,, but then I have TONS of memories of our hunting camps, deer we have taken, most of all family and friends. I'm hoping others will attend WDFW meetings(as I have, 2 this year) and try to let the WDFW know any way they can that the Methow herd is in bad shape.
I still hunt, cover more ground that many and love my time in the woods, just hoping my Great/grandson gets the chance to make the memories too!
John G.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #293 on: May 17, 2019, 11:45:44 AM »
Wunderlich33,
  yes I was being a little facetious, guess a little humor goes no where with you. I've tried in previous posts to give personal information about the history of the Methow Mule deer from five generations of our family hunting them.
 The herd is in great trouble and I think people are interested to hear views, I try to give mine. Also, I've planted trees, browse, and helped throw hay out for winter migration herds, been years ago now, but I did it, just never needed to tell anyone. Uneducated,, you know, my Grandfather had to quit school in the 8th grade because his family needed help, so he did what he could in the early 1900's working in a logging camp in the Stemelt hills south of Wenatchee. He was one of the smartest men I have known, he managed the Plymouth, and, Ford dealerships in Twisp in the 1940's. Managed the lumber yard in Okanogan in the 50's, and more logging in the Republic area where he pasted away in the 80's
 Funny thing you should say something about my Mothers basement,,, well, it was probably more my Dad's basement, that was where the wood stove was that heated the whole house and it was my younger brother and my job to keep it full of firewood, 24/7.
   But anyway, I did move out of the basement when I got drafted, married my wife of 50 years now, GOT A JOB,,, (before I moved out by the way) and while I worked over 42 years for a local company I was a volunteer fireman for 25 years in our local community. I did make some mistakes along the way, and unlike some, I took responsibility and tried to do better next time. I figured out right away in life, no one owes me anything, I worked hard, honest day's work for honest days pay,, that's all I was owed!
 Now, that being said, the herd is hurting, the WDFW has an agenda I don't agree with,, but then I have TONS of memories of our hunting camps, deer we have taken, most of all family and friends. I'm hoping others will attend WDFW meetings(as I have, 2 this year) and try to let the WDFW know any way they can that the Methow herd is in bad shape.
I still hunt, cover more ground that many and love my time in the woods, just hoping my Great/grandson gets the chance to make the memories too!
John G.

:tup: sounds like a life well lived!

Offline jackson7

• Scout
« Reply #294 on: May 17, 2019, 01:11:07 PM »
Do i hear mea culpa. Personal attacks have to stop. Well handled.

Offline no.cen.wa

• Hunter
« Reply #295 on: May 18, 2019, 09:39:11 AM »
jackson7,
   Thanks "mea culpa " :tup:is about right!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #296 on: May 20, 2019, 05:14:58 AM »
TMI
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #297 on: May 20, 2019, 11:32:50 AM »
i saw all i needed to see over there the last 2 falls.... road hunting is rampant, the diesel trucks start prowling at 330am, and one goes by about every 15 minutes, with about 4 guys inside each rig, even going as far back into the woods as you can you cant get away from it, what used to be prime hunting is now a burnt out wasteland, too many people, no deer, sometimes poor access, it just doesn't make sense to spend the time and money going out there anymore

This describes the Olympics. Used to be you could drive in and see does right away but now it is a wasteland. You have road hunters patrolling during modern like military units. Game enforcement is about as rare as the deer. Then there are weirdos pretty much living up there or doing who knows what.

I think some of the Western Washington GMUs should go shotgun/blackpowder/archery only. I suspect a lot of the road hunters get frustrated and shoot anything with 4 legs.

I'm not convinced that cougars are the main problem on the West side for black tail. Probably a factor but there hasn't been a major increase in sightings.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »
Well people will stop buying tags, lisc, and special permit apps eventually. But for the most part hunters don't really care.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #299 on: June 07, 2019, 10:38:04 AM »

Well I have come to the conclusion that "worse off than I thought" is an understatement when it comes to Methow deer numbers. Just spent 2 weeks running around the hills, up to 7500 ft in numerous old haunts, this trip 20 years ago and more, in the same areas and this same time of year would produce around 2000 deer, this year 48. Did see 2 cougars, 5 bear and a lot of wolf sign. The wolf sign we seen were in areas I have never seen it in before, seems they are spreading out into more areas in the north part of the valley. We have seen signs of them up north in the past but they seem to be taking ahold and spreading. Found what looked to be 6 fairly fresh cat kills in one area above Sullivans, no deer to be seen up in there and hardly any sign. Pathetic and sad.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]