collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: OnX pissn me off  (Read 6597 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: OnX pissn me off
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2019, 05:35:44 PM »
You cant blame the app for your lack of preparedness  :twocents: not a ton of service up chinook pass so probably would have been a good idea to download a few maps before you headed to no service land. I used it in 5 states this year.with zero issues.  A few of those I did a heck of a lot of roaming outside of my intended hunt area.  When in doubt download it.  Theres an option for a 100 mile square so if you even think you may sniff the edge of it then take the two minutes and download it.  The app works exactly as intended and is a fantastic replacement to a traditional GPS if you take the time to learn it and use it properly.   :twocents:

I do have maps downloaded, do use the broader map function, but I don't have a map of the state all the time.  If the state roads map and private/public overlays were available with a subscription, it would help a lot. I have a 2GB/mo data plan and have poor service at my rural home so it's never been necessary to spend the money for unlimited data.  That would cost me a significant monthly increase for a hunting app that I use 2 months a year.
wifi at a public library?
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline SuperX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2019, 05:41:21 PM »
You cant blame the app for your lack of preparedness  :twocents: not a ton of service up chinook pass so probably would have been a good idea to download a few maps before you headed to no service land. I used it in 5 states this year.with zero issues.  A few of those I did a heck of a lot of roaming outside of my intended hunt area.  When in doubt download it.  Theres an option for a 100 mile square so if you even think you may sniff the edge of it then take the two minutes and download it.  The app works exactly as intended and is a fantastic replacement to a traditional GPS if you take the time to learn it and use it properly.   :twocents:

I do have maps downloaded, do use the broader map function, but I don't have a map of the state all the time.  If the state roads map and private/public overlays were available with a subscription, it would help a lot. I have a 2GB/mo data plan and have poor service at my rural home so it's never been necessary to spend the money for unlimited data.  That would cost me a significant monthly increase for a hunting app that I use 2 months a year.
wifi at a public library?
Yeah, I have wifi at home so at least that isn't charged against my bill, I am not always aware in advance where I am going to end up :)

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2019, 06:18:06 PM »
Wi-Fi at starbucks, McDonald's or quite a few other places.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 06:20:39 PM »
Plan ahead and you will do great with the App. They guys at ONX have helped me more than a couple of times and gone above and beyond to help make sure I was taken care of.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline Wanderer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 08:30:59 PM »
I took a chance this year and got the app.  Admittedly i'm pretty new at it but I found it so handy.  I downloaded the entire vail area although it took a bit of time.   don't have anything to compare it to tho.  definitely kept me from getting lost in the vail maze.
I did see a cool thing someone else did.  somehow they copied the screen and texted it.  so it showed right where they were when others were trying to find them.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2019, 08:34:45 PM »
I took a chance this year and got the app.  Admittedly i'm pretty new at it but I found it so handy.  I downloaded the entire vail area although it took a bit of time.   don't have anything to compare it to tho.  definitely kept me from getting lost in the vail maze.
I did see a cool thing someone else did.  somehow they copied the screen and texted it.  so it showed right where they were when others were trying to find them.
you can also mark your position with a waypoint and text (share) that pin with a friend if they too have onx.  Comes in as a link.  When your buddy clicks on it, it automatically uploads to their onx
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2019, 09:31:34 PM »
Lovin this thread! I always used my handheld god with a chip until this last year. Decided to try out the app and absolutely love it! I just ordered a premium subscription off of camofire as I’ll be hopefully hunting multiple states this year. Being new to the app I guess I didn’t notice that downloading offgrid maps took very long at all. I have descent WiFi at home and it doesn’t seem bad to me at all. Glad I saw the light and switched over to the app!

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2019, 09:42:45 AM »
I tried OnX, but I've switched back to Gaia Maps.

I'd highly recommend trying Gaia if you're using OnX.

Their downloading process is 1000% better. You have a rectangle that you can drag to the size and shape you want, then a slider bar for resolution. You can decide how big and how detailed you want to make it based on the file size you're willing to download. With OnX it drives me nuts that you have to use one rectangle. If your area doesn't fit that shape, you have to make multiple files.

Here's a video showing the download process for Gaia:

Other advantages to Gaia:
Better map selection
Better tracking (makes high resolution tracks that are useful for marking game trails, blood trailing)
Better route planning (OnX drives me nuts, blocking the whole screen when you try to plan a route)

Things that are better with OnX:
I like the map toggle button on the main screen. Lets you A-B between topo and satellite.
Better land ownership data (Gaia has land ownership, but I don't trust it as much as OnX)

Offline splitshot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2019, 10:38:43 AM »
My gripe is me. I dont understand any of this stuff. Download, app grid, tile, etc. Let's go back 2 old school, maps on paper. So confusing, this new tech stuff. Yes I'm an old fart who can still walk and score once in a while and find my way back 2 the truck.think someday GPS will b banned. Wow, food 4 thought.thanks 4 or time. Mike w

Offline SuperX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2019, 08:27:58 AM »
I tried OnX, but I've switched back to Gaia Maps.

I'd highly recommend trying Gaia if you're using OnX.

Their downloading process is 1000% better. You have a rectangle that you can drag to the size and shape you want, then a slider bar for resolution. You can decide how big and how detailed you want to make it based on the file size you're willing to download. With OnX it drives me nuts that you have to use one rectangle. If your area doesn't fit that shape, you have to make multiple files.

Here's a video showing the download process for Gaia:

Other advantages to Gaia:
Better map selection
Better tracking (makes high resolution tracks that are useful for marking game trails, blood trailing)
Better route planning (OnX drives me nuts, blocking the whole screen when you try to plan a route)

Things that are better with OnX:
I like the map toggle button on the main screen. Lets you A-B between topo and satellite.
Better land ownership data (Gaia has land ownership, but I don't trust it as much as OnX)
Nice comparison between the two.  I used Gaia 2 years ago and found the maps to be out of date, including using maps that would put you in the wrong GMU if you depended on their road naming.  I also did not like their overlays for GMUs, they didn't work well for me on an iPhone, sometimes not appearing, and I didn't like their private/public land overlay as it was pretty sketchy in some areas.

OnX has old maps as well but I would rate their GMU and Private/public overlays much better than Gaia.  They are both craplets for cell phones, and won't compare to a dedicated GPS, but they probably shouldn't be, they are 'hunting apps'.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal