collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4 Canadian wolves air-dropped in US national park to deal with moose  (Read 11494 times)

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: 4 Canadian wolves air-dropped in US national park to deal with moose
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2019, 05:55:49 PM »
God forbid they open up a regulated hunt and manage them that way.
Congress has forbidden it under 16 USC 408k (enacted in 1942) which is a statute just pertaining to that park:

"All hunting or the killing, wounding, or capturing at any time of any wild bird or animal, except dangerous animals when it is necessary to prevent them from destroying human lives or inflicting personal injury, is prohibited within the limits of said park, nor shall any fish be taken out of any of the waters of the said park, except at such seasons and at such times and in such manner as may be directed by the Secretary of the Interior."

So Congress said no hunting, but fishing is ok.
That 77 year-old statute was obviously conservationally short-sighted. Because there are no natural predators, the moose population is destroying the habitat. Congress could quite easily amend the statute to include herd culling. It would take little to determine the carrying capacity of that park and have a regulated yearly cull to ensure the integrity of the habitat. After all, the statute was passed to protect the park. Now that we know it's failed in its purpose, it would only make sense to take steps to fix it. Introducing wolves, which will only travel to the mainland on the next opportunity, is a mistake and a temporary band-aid. To transplant wolves, not only do they need an EIS for the park, they would need one for the eventual migration of those eaters to the mainland. This is a great example of how the government can take a simple problem and comes up with a fix that creates further problems.

It’s too simple I guess but again If they made the rule saying no hunting they can easily say YES we need a hunting season!! This drive s me crazy I understand no regular otc hunting but in certain situations like this not using hunters as a management tool is ridiculous.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2019, 06:46:40 AM »
Well, it helps push the pro-wolf agenda by showing everyone how wolves can help conservation. It's completely political and unfortunately, the people on the mainland will suffer the consequences of federal agencies pandering to the eco-freaks.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline SuperX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2019, 07:28:28 AM »
I don't think they were that pro wolf in 1942 when the law was written.  The wolves migrated to the island over the ice in 1941.

When I lived in Duluth, we used to skate on the lake and the ice was so crystal clear you could wipe a little window in the snow and look through it and see the bottom.  It was pretty cool skating for miles in a straight line.  The lake stopped freezing by the time I was out of HS.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2019, 07:35:44 AM »
It's the present pro-wolf movement to which I refer. Hunter culling isn't even being considered and it should be. Using hunters as a tool of wildlife managers to control wildlife populations is the cornerstone of the North American Wildlife Conservation Model.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2019, 07:42:31 AM »
It's the present pro-wolf movement to which I refer. Hunter culling isn't even being considered and it should be. Using hunters as a tool of wildlife managers to control wildlife populations is the cornerstone of the North American Wildlife Conservation Model.

Who wouldn't want to do a yearly hunt (needed to manage the herd via hunting long term) for moose that don't run from people!  Unfortunate for us not to have hunting in Yellowstone too - we should be able to go in and take the excess animals, especially the bison and bears.  It would be like shooting your neighbors dog while he's eating out of your garbage can, but some people like that.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2019, 07:46:18 AM »
What a farce management has become in this country.  The long term goal is to eliminate hunting.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2019, 08:32:19 AM »

Who wouldn't want to do a yearly hunt (needed to manage the herd via hunting long term) for moose that don't run from people!  Unfortunate for us not to have hunting in Yellowstone too - we should be able to go in and take the excess animals, especially the bison and bears.  It would be like shooting your neighbors dog while he's eating out of your garbage can, but some people like that.

Culling is a necessary part of wildlife management wherever a species becomes overpopulated. That's why hunters are used to regulate overpopulation in the North American Conservation Model. It's been extremely successful for over 100 years in making and keeping our wildlife healthy. It may not be the same as hiking into the back country and stalking wary prey, but necessary, just the same. Are you advocating bringing in wolves because it would be unsporting to shoot these moose.? Please be specific in your answer.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2019, 08:37:46 AM »
What a farce management has become in this country.  The long term goal is to eliminate hunting.

Closely followed by collecting guns........

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2019, 08:38:58 AM »

And when 'they' need some actual management done, 'they' call in the APHIS (Wildlife Services) arm of the Dept of Ag.  The Wildlife Services will go in an shoot all those animals or trap (do they still poison?) and whatever else.  At some point the managers put the logical management above the emotion--they just have their own do it.

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2019, 09:03:56 AM »

Culling is a necessary part of wildlife management wherever a species becomes overpopulated. That's why hunters are used to regulate overpopulation in the North American Conservation Model. It's been extremely successful for over 100 years in making and keeping our wildlife healthy. It may not be the same as hiking into the back country and stalking wary prey, but necessary, just the same. Are you advocating bringing in wolves because it would be unsporting to shoot these moose.? Please be specific in your answer.
Totally agree on culling, except we don't do that in a lot of our national parks.  I would love to kill a moose, they aren't all that sporting to hunt during the rut even in the wilderness.  I'd shoot it in a second.  Keep in mind that the island has well over 2000 moose and is like 20 miles long.  Culling would need to take like 1000-1500 moose to get to a balance that is sustainable on the island's carrying capacity without other predators.

Taking that many would spoil the park for most who come to see wolves and moose.  I'm OK not getting to shoot one on the island, I wish I had put in for the tag when they had a OIL draw, but I didn't think they would tank so badly.  I used to see them on my road frequently, I haven't seen one since 2004, but I saw a track once in 2014.  They should take the wolves from my land and move them to the island, seems like a win-win to me!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2019, 09:22:09 AM »
Think of the families that would benefit from the meat of 1000-1500 moose, not to mention the benefits to the wildlife and the habitat. Thank you for the thoughtful response.

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2019, 09:51:44 AM »
Thanks!  I do have to correct my size estimate, it's 45mi long and 9 miles wide.  Very cool place to visit if you like the BWCA type camping you'll like Isle Royale.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal