collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stevens County issues warning RE: Wolves  (Read 27705 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Stevens County issues warning RE: Wolves
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 11:52:42 AM »
Not sure if this is still in effect.Cause it was in effect with our former directed of WDFW.

http://www.timberwolfinformation.org/wa-rule-allows-killing-of-wolves-attacking-livestock/

that's policy

the OP wanted law, and I came up short finding it, so has everyone else to this point. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:26:16 PM by KFhunter »

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 12:55:27 PM »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 02:25:09 PM »
I offer this as bait.

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.36.030

nice find

That might be the legal root that allows policy on killing wildlife threatening human safety or causing property damage.

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 09:31:26 PM »
so i have researched before but cannot find rules on protection of pets, yourself if confronted by these wolves... anyone have a link to the LAWS?
If your life is truly in danger - do you really care what the law is?  I sure don't.

Idahohuntr is the winner! Finally someone nailed it. So your life is in danger and you are going to stop and wonder, gee is it unlawful to protect myself or my loved ones? Nope, you gonna burn powder! :mgun: :mgun: :mgun:

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 02:40:20 AM »
It remains a valid question.  Knowing your rights and responsibilities in an armed self-defense situation never hurts.

Of course we can speculate that we'd all go Rambo when the chips are down to protect our family. We'd also like to know we won't be spending time and money to defend our actions after the smoke clears.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2019, 03:43:40 AM »
Here is the WAC generally on wildlife v. humans.

220-440-050
Killing wildlife for personal safety.
(1) The fish and wildlife commission is authorized to classify wildlife as game, as endangered or protected species, or as a predatory bird consistent with RCW 77.08.010 and 77.12.020. The commission is also authorized, pursuant to RCW 77.36.030, to establish the limitations and conditions on killing or trapping wildlife that is threatening human safety.
(2) The conditions for killing wildlife vary, based primarily on the classification of the wildlife species and the imminent nature of the threat to personal safety. Additional conditions defined by the department may also be important, depending on individual situations. Killing wildlife for personal safety is subject to all other state and federal laws including, but not limited to, Titles 77 RCW and 220 WAC.
(3) Killing wildlife for personal safety.
(a) It is permissible to kill wild animals engaged in the physical act of attacking a person.
(b) It is permissible to kill game animals posing an immediate threat of physical harm to a person.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=220-440-050

And

"Immediate threat of physical harm" means that animal-to-human bodily contact is imminent; and the animal is in attack posture/mode.

"Game animal" means wild animals that shall not be hunted except as authorized by the commission.

"Physical act of attacking" means actual or imminent animal-to-human or animal-to-animal physical contact.

"Wild animal" means those species of the class Mammalia whose members exist in Washington in a wild state.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=220-440-020

Here is wolves v. domestic animals in areas "where the gray wolf is not listed as endangered or threatened under the federal Endangered Species Act."  Seems to be private property, though, or at least how WDFW reads it.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=220-440-080

No other mentions of wolves, specifically, in that chapter, except as to payment of claims, unless I missed it.

This was not an exhaustive search and does not cover any federal regulations.

One thing to note is that it appears that you are more protected against "game animals," such as deer, which requires only the "threat," whereas protection from wolves (presumably, "wild animals") only materializes once they are "physically attacking." 

If I am understanding this correctly, this is perverse and backwards and should be rectified by the commission.

The other thing to keep in mind is that your interpretation of that gobbledygook does not matter after the fact.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2019, 07:36:41 AM »
You are making this way too complicated if you are truly only concerned about defending yourself or your family from a legitimate threat/attack from a wild animal.  I don't need to read a bunch of code to know with 100% certainty I can legally defend myself from a wild animal that I reasonably fear is going to attack me or another person.

I offer two very simple tips:
1. In any case where you feel a wild animal (or another human) poses an immediate danger to you or your family - kill it.
2. Do not provide any information about the incident to anyone except through your recently retained attorney.

Step 2 is obviously very dependent on the circumstances...but if there is any doubt, go with step 2.   :chuckle:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2019, 07:44:03 AM »
You are making this way too complicated if you are truly only concerned about defending yourself or your family from a legitimate threat/attack from a wild animal.  I don't need to read a bunch of code to know with 100% certainty I can legally defend myself from a wild animal that I reasonably fear is going to attack me or another person.

1. In any case where you feel a wild animal (or another human) poses an immediate danger to you or your family - kill it.
2. Do not provide any information about the incident to anyone except through your recently retained attorney.

Step 2 is obviously very dependent on the circumstances...but if there is any doubt, go with step 2.   :chuckle:

WHAAA
They shouldn't post it on here with photos and a complete detailed description.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »

Statements of the obvious.  Some people want to know what their legal rights and responsibilities are.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:15:07 AM by Fl0und3rz »

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2019, 10:16:16 AM »
I plan to build a wolf proof kennel here soon.

I'm building a wolf proof kennel soon too. I am only 3 miles out of Colville, close to the gun club, a neighbor only about 1/4 mile away has trail cam photos of wolves in his back yard. Wolf numbers are really exploding now, people's only chance is self defense, WDFW has totally failed NE Washington, 100% pathetic!  :bash:

One of my outfitting areas in Idaho is in primary wolf country, but those wolves are hunted and rarely come close to human inhabited areas, I am more afraid of my dogs being eaten by wolves in my back yard in NE Washington. These WA wolves have little fear!  :bash: :bash:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2019, 11:05:18 AM »

Statements of the obvious.  Some people want to know what their legal rights and responsibilities.
I posted that too.  100% certain you can legally defend yourself from physical injury or death...in any state against any animal.
 :tup:

If you are looking for some loophole or minimum threshold that justifies shooting a wolf when you are not really in danger of death or physical harm then I could see a need to know every letter of applicable laws.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2019, 11:19:28 AM »

Statements of the obvious.  Some people want to know what their legal rights and responsibilities.
I posted that too.  100% certain you can legally defend yourself from physical injury or death...in any state against any animal.

If you are looking for some loophole or minimum threshold that justifies shooting a wolf when you are not really in danger of death or physical harm then I could see a need to know every letter of applicable laws.

Regardless of law, who is judging you is far more important. Unless you come to court minus one arm in King County you would not be justified in killing a wolf. The threshold of proof would be far less in NE Washington. :twocents:
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2019, 05:37:05 PM »

We all understand that ^ above and I don't think anyone is looking for a legal loophole in order to shoot wolves and get away with it  :rolleyes:

My issue is that its all policy, and according to how endangered the species is the policy varies  <-- I have a problem with this because why should we have an easier time shooting a cougar and a much harder time shooting a wolf or grizz regarding our own self defense in the courts.   

What we don't want is people hesitating to defend themselves because they aren't sure what the "law" is, and now we find out there really isn't a law, just a broad all encompassing authority for WDFW to make up policy as they see fit. 

When the rubber meets the road, yes I'll defend myself laws be dammed, but what happens next?  Do I get drug through the coals because it was a wolf? or do I get off easy because it was a cougar? 

What happens if I shoot a grizz!!??  :yike: 

I'd really get drug through the ringer, maybe I should hesitate. one.. more....second...... just in case the bear veers off at the very last moment.....oh wow!!!  too late I'm mauled!!! that hurts!!!...dangit!

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 05:42:03 PM »
I wont and no man should have to tolerate an aggressive predator......

Offline bornhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2019, 09:30:07 PM »
 :yeah:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal