collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knight Nitrate - First Shoot  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Knight Nitrate - First Shoot
« on: January 10, 2019, 04:31:38 PM »
January 10? - It was a beautiful day here on the Palouse, excellent day for shooting.  Gathered up the materials for the shoot and headed to Dinger's Farm.  There was a slight plan in my grand plan... The farm field were not frozen as normal - there was no snow and the fields were mud!  I did wear my packs so I made the trip out in the field to place the target... it was gooey!

I had laser bore sighted the scope, here in the house the other day.  I was pretty confident that I would be on the paper at 100 so I set the target at a 100.  I am really glad I did - I would have hated to make several trips out and back in the mud.

My bore sighting wasn't all that bad but not as good as I had hoped.  Shot #1 was on the paper. After shot #1 I began walking the scope down the paper where I wanted it.  Problem... my math wasn't as good as I though and plus I was trying to be economical and not make to big of a jump at one time.  Anyway after 6 shots and one adjustment back up I got it sighted to the ALMOST point. There was a bit of a cross wind so I wasn't real concerned about moving left/right at this point.  You can see the path of the walk in the target.

After shooting the target I got on to the fun part - shooting targets of opportunity.  The were bird bits (clay pigeon remains) from previous shoots exposed and laying on the surface.  10 more shots cleaning up bird bits... It was truly a good day.

The bore of the rifle that has been treated with 3 separate steps in the Nitriding process did not seem to be reduced in size at all.  The sabots & projectiles loaded approximately the same as the regular SS U-Lite model that I have. And the rifle certainly shoots better than I can shoot it.  Really Really wish there were a season going now.  Might try to get to the rock pit tomorrow for another shoot.

This is a collection of some of the pictures taken at the farm

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
Re: Knight Nitrate - First Shoot
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 05:01:32 PM »
Sounds like an awesome day!  :tup:
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline reelamin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 08:45:41 PM »
Looks like it has a ton of potential.   How does it shoot with no adjustments for 3-5 shots?  What velocity are your getting?

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 09:05:12 PM »
Looks like it has a ton of potential.   How does it shoot with no adjustments for 3-5 shots?  What velocity are your getting?

I did not set it up against a Chrono yet... I will but did not get it done this trip

The last 10 shots at targets of opportunity were one right after another and no messing with the scope. Just point and shoot! it was total fun!

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal