collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: .300 Blackout build questions  (Read 1332 times)

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
.300 Blackout build questions
« on: January 11, 2019, 08:56:28 PM »
So I'm looking hard at a .300 BLK build. Intended use will be hunting close-range whitetail. Contemplating a suppressor so my daughter (who won't shoot anything louder than a .22lr) would be willing to shoot it. White and black Star Wars theme so my son is excited about it.

is a 16" barrel in a rifle configuration a good performer, or should I look to a pistol-type build with a brace? If a suppressor was in the cards, does that change your recommendation?

Offline NWShooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RockyMountain Elk foundation, Mule Deer Foundation, NRA.
Re: .300 Blackout build questions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 06:56:32 AM »
A 16” barrel would get you a little more velocity than a pistol length barrel. I would opt for the most velocity you can get for hunting. I have shot deer with the Blkout, my rifles had 16” barrels. A six positions stock will make the length of pull user friendly for pretty much everyone. 16” is great and easier on some of the new short , ultra light suppressors.  A M4 contour barrel is really light also as compared to let’s say a standard contour barrel.
A empty vessel makes the most noise.

"Every normal man must be tempted , at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 07:58:58 AM »
I've shot 300 black in both rifle and pistol.

Pistol takes a little more technique so I wouldn't get one for young or new shooters.

I wouldn't bother with suppressed for hunting deer. Too many issues. You can find forums where people are handloading 300 black just to get decent accuracy at 50 yards.

Offline NWShooter

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:00:14 AM »
I wouldn't bother with suppressed for hunting deer. Too many issues.

What “Issues” would one have with a suppressor on a 16” Blkout?

"Every normal man must be tempted , at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 09:28:30 AM »
I wouldn't bother with suppressed for hunting deer. Too many issues.

What “Issues” would one have with a suppressor on a 16” Blkout?

Accuracy if you want to shoot both sub and super. You run into fewer problems if you optimize for one or the other. Plenty of forums out there describing this problem.

I really like 300 Black but it is pickier than 223 when it comes to bullet type/barrel/twist. For hunting in Wa I would just forget about subs.

Offline NWShooter

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 10:14:26 AM »
If your hunting deer with a 300 Blkout in WA , it’s a no brainer.  You optimize for super sonic. Simple enough, it’s not rocket science. Suppressed 16” barrels are simple and a pleasure to shoot.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 12:50:31 PM »
If your hunting deer with a 300 Blkout in WA , it’s a no brainer.  You optimize for super sonic. Simple enough, it’s not rocket science. Suppressed 16” barrels are simple and a pleasure to shoot.

There are options and there are expectations. Far fewer people would bother with a suppressor for 300 black if they understood the subs have lousy accuracy, especially if you optimize for supers.

With supers you are basically paying $200 plus the cost of suppressor to make the gun as loud as 22. Switch to subs with your super barrel and your accuracy is garbage.
I doubt most hunters would buy the suppressor if they knew that going in. I have seen this if forums where people were really disappointed with accuracy using subs. They were expecting whisper quiet 1MOA to 150 yards and didn't get half that.

The whisper quiet side of Blackout seems designed for tactical ops where they just need minute of bad guy, not hunting. Some ranch in Texas even banned blackout subs because too many deer were running away wounded. That is something hunters should know before jumping in, especially if they are interested in a suppressor.

Offline NWShooter

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 02:06:30 PM »
Hmmmmm. Some already own suppressor for multiple rifles and don’t really care what things cost. I tend not to over complicate it.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal