collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Biosolids  (Read 6067 times)

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Biosolids
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2019, 03:57:41 PM »
https://www.nebiosolids.org/prions-tses-alzheimers-and-biosolids/

keep in mind this is coming from a biosolids company..

The science is far from definitive, and, while there is some evidence of possible transmissivity or replication of various neurological diseases, including Alzheimer’s, it is currently considered to be a rare possibility.  The Nature article notes that scientists studying these various twisted proteins “warn that it is too early to draw conclusions about the clinical significance of discovering different strains of Alzheimer’s plaques. Some are wary of linking neurodegenerative and prion diseases, especially when prion biology is still so poorly understood. And considering prion and non-prion diseases together ‘could give the misleading impression that you could catch Alzheimer’s from visiting your grandmother’, says Virginia Lee, who works on neurodegenerative diseases at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. ‘There is absolutely no evidence that’s possible, and it would be a dangerous thing to imply.’”

Finally, when confronted with claims of human health impacts from biosolids, it is important to consider the simple epidemiological concept of fate and exposure.  People only get sick from something if exposed to a toxic or infective dose.  It is implausible that biosolids-borne prions, many of which are inactivated in anaerobic digestion (see Miles et al., 2011, available from the NEBRA office), that are applied to soils where microbes break them down over time, contribute to the millions of cases of prion diseases or Alzheimer’s and other neurological diseases. 

The fact is, very very few people are exposed to biosolids.

Right, and the entire article is saying that the thought that prions survive the process and are a health risk is BS.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 04:12:37 PM »
I don't know enough to argue about this topic in my own words, I don't use biosolids or have any experience with them.

So I posted an article from a biosolids corporation, I can't imagine anyone being more pro-biosolids than a corporation that sells the stuff to big ag.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 05:29:46 PM »
For those of us without a political science degree, what we are discussing is whether we should take the output from sewers and spread it all over the land?

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 05:40:17 PM »
All I know is growing up near an apple orchard that got sprayed in the winter from septic pump trucks with raw sewage is that those apples 🍎  were really delicious. 🤣
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal