collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: looking to upgrade binos  (Read 7222 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: looking to upgrade binos
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 01:59:40 PM »
I think I owned all the cheapy brands when I was young and couldn't afford better. I wasted quite a bit of money on junk but for a hunter who doesn't make big money it's hard to justify spending thousands on binoculars. Later in life after I began guiding full time and spending a lot more time behind glass I've found I can only do that with quality glass. My eyes get sore and I've even had headaches due to eye strian with cheapies in the past. I really like my swarovski's but a couple of my guides have Leica, they are really nice and clear, I'm really tempted to swap to Leica binos. Several of my other guides have many of the mid priced brands and they get by pretty well with them. Leupold and Nikon are good mid priced glass. I love my leupold rifle scopes and spotting scope and use them often. I tend to stay away from recommending vortex, we've seen too many vortex failures in rifle scopes that hunters bring. The thing I've most noticed about vortex is thin walled rifle scopes that dent or break too easy, but maybe their binos are better? My best advice is to look at multiple brands of binos and pick out what looks best with your eyes that you can afford and go hunting.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 03:18:21 PM »
 Like Dale said, eye fatigue is the main reason I originally stepped up and bought EL's. I can glass all day long, sun up to sun down and not get eye fatigue, headaches, dizziness etc.

Pre owned set of EL's with a warranty will be the best investment you ever made in hunting gear, likely the last time you ever purchase bino's. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 06:58:30 PM »
Like Dale said, eye fatigue is the main reason I originally stepped up and bought EL's. I can glass all day long, sun up to sun down and not get eye fatigue, headaches, dizziness etc.

Pre owned set of EL's with a warranty will be the best investment you ever made in hunting gear, likely the last time you ever purchase bino's. :twocents:

I ended up with SLCs but that was another selling point. Buying Vipers or some cheaper bino will eventually end up in me seeing nicer ones and eventually justifying the purchase.

Binoculars don't change all that often in regards to glass quality, whats top quality now may not be top quality in 20 years, but it won't be that far off either.

Unless these disappear, I don't see myself ever buying another pair.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2019, 07:00:08 PM »
Opticsplanet has leupold bx4 10x42 are right at $500
https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-binoculars.html
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline mountainman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2019, 07:43:44 PM »
I can buy one pair of 10x42 swarovski EL's for $2689
Or......
Vortex Viper 10x42HD-$500
Tikka T3x 30-06-$680
Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40-$400
Sig kilo 2000-$500
Glock 20 10mm-$550
=$2630
I know what id rather go home with. :chuckle: :tung:

:chuckle:

I’m all for buying quality optics, but the average hunter won’t benefit from buying a pair of Swaro binos. I have a Swaro spotter because it’s a necessary tool for my LR shooting; a pair of high dollar binos wouldn’t make any difference in my hunting though.

True, for the average hunter, typically spot and stalk hunting, you don't need higher quality optics. But for open country glassing, where one might spend 8, 10, 12 hours a day looking thru glass, quality becomes a HUGE factor! Take a pair of mid- quality binos, look thru them for a couple hours. Then put your eyes thru a quality set, say the above mentioned Swaro's and feel your eyes relax. Switch that around, and your eyes will undoubtedly strain instantly. No fun to get an optically induced migraine at 8000 feet😉. Not to mentioned the improved clarity when it comes to counting points when that big bucks head is in the brush...quality costs, but by my bank, worth every penny not to go cheap👍
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2019, 08:34:27 PM »
I have looked and used them all at some point or another.That said the only truth is in the blind(no pun intended) tests that have been done on glass quality.Look into these and you will be surprised.yes quality costs but not as much as the name does.  :twocents:  :tup: before Swaro, Bosch was the best optics money could buy but now they are like Nike to Converse lol,remember when Converse shoes were worn in ghettos like bill Cosby on Fat Albert.  :chuckle:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2019, 12:13:31 AM »
 If not willing to plunk down the chunk for Swaro's, you might keep this in mind. Some of the best lenses in photography equipment is made by Nikon. If looking in the $500 range only, you might consider that glass! ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2019, 12:24:59 AM »
Zeiss is really good glass as well.  not sure what their mid range binos cost.  I went Swaro.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2019, 07:05:48 AM »
Zeiss is really good glass as well.  not sure what their mid range binos cost.  I went Swaro.
I posted them earlier in this thread and would be my personal choice under $500

https://www.opticsplanet.com/zeiss-terra-ed-10-x-42-binocular.html
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2019, 08:07:35 AM »
I've been using Steiner 10x42 Predators for years.
Good glass, quality optics and a reasonable price.
I see that Planet Optics has them for  about $400.
That's a lot less than I paid.

As a surveyor, I have looked through glass for weeks on end for a living.
Good optics are a joy to use, poor quality is a pain in the eye and a#$.

Offline LabChamp

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2019, 09:03:40 AM »
Cabelas Euro HDs are hard to beat for the price

Offline BeerBugler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2019, 10:01:02 AM »
I just spent a few months researching and testing binos. I learned a ton and was often suprised at the disparity between quality, value, and price. As far as new binos go, the value of the Zeiss conquest hd was second to none hands down. I ended up buying Geovids on eBay...I was in the market for a new rangefinder also.

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2019, 11:21:13 AM »
guess ill have to get behind some glass  going to sportmens show next weeke look there and see what they have  after realizing distance  just want to be able to extend my range thoughts on scopes i know subject change  just dont want to make another post

Offline Westside88

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2019, 01:14:41 PM »
Had a pair of cheapies fail on an elk hunt in the Olympics once. Bought Steiners and haven’t had an issue since. There are definitely better binos out there, but I trust the ones I have to work when I need them. A brand with a proven track record is a must

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2019, 01:29:45 PM »

:yeah: :yeah: I bought the slc's, I will never have to buy another pair of bino's.  No eye fatigue at all, save up a bit more and you'll be set.  bought mine used, looked up the model number and called swaro to see if they were good and not stolen. Paid 1,000 for mine, no regerts (regrets) :chuckle:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter