collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Newbie Looking for Some Advice on Back/bikepack Spring Turkey Hunt in NE WA  (Read 5579 times)

Offline AK2WA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Hey folks,

As the title says, I am looking for some direction and help setting up my first turkey hunt in NE WA. I'm used to backpacking in or bikepacking and was hoping to do either for this hunt.

A little about me, I am from Alaska and moved down to the Seattle area a little over a year ago to finish some school at UW. I have hunted for caribou, goat, bear, and a little waterfowl all back in AK, but I am hoping to try some turkey hunting before I move this summer for a new job elsewhere.

In return for any help I have some knowledge about hunting those species in Alaska, hunting/getting around in Alaska, and know a few spots to try for those species in road accessible areas around southcentral AK. I’m no fishing guide but if you’re headed up to southcentral Alaska for tourism or fishing I can help answer questions and provide some advice on fishing spots, tackle, places to go, even restaurants worth your time.

I have been looking through prior threads along with forest service websites and I’m having a hard time figuring out where I should spend my time looking for turkeys. I found a few lakes/water sources in Colville NF that I can get to, some near Granite Peak area. Another spot near Copper Butte as well. Not looking for honey holes by any means, but if anyone can help steer me towards some areas that I would have a decent chance at a turkey, or can tell me where I should definitely not go, I would greatly appreciate it. I may be able to make the opener but if not can take time off late April to late May, not sure if that affects where I should spend my time.

In a perfect world I would spend some money to learn from a guide or pick up one of BearPaw’s maps, unfortunately I’m on a student saddled with a lot of debt budget. By the time season rolls around I will have saved up for a box call (likely Primos Wet Box Call), hen and jake decoys (Primos vs Strut-lite), an out of state hunting license, and gas money. I have an Remington 870 12 ga and a bow, both of which I feel comfortable with, haven’t picked my poison yet in that regard.

Thank you all in advance for any tips or advice you're willing to share.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
I've only connected with one - and seen tons.

They are literally all over up there. Don't let the drive in get you too excited - on private you will see them in almost every field(it seems like) but once you hit public land its typical hunting. I think theres a lot of them that don't ever leave the fields. With that said, if you can find some public that borders some of those fields it can pay off. I know of one place that I always see turkeys in the guys yard and across the street is public... I've seen a TON of turkey up there but never been in the right spot at the right time(or nothing legal). Last year we were driving up and there were 8 or 9 hens running along with us in the road. Talk about frustrating.

Depending on when you go, you may or may not be able to get into some areas. Two years ago I could go almost all the way to a place I like to hunt on the opener - last year I couldn't even get 100 yards up the road due to deep snow.

I wish I could give you more advice, but honestly it would be the blind leading the blind. There are people on here that will chime in eventually that are much better turkey hunters than I'll ever be.

Good luck!

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
I have an idea for you. Check your PM

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
If you around for the Puyallup Sportsman's Showi am putting on some seminars on turkey hunting.  Also keep your eye on the WDFW website for clinics for turkey hunting.  I am doing one in n March 30th at the Black Diamond Gun Club and one at Sportmans Wharehouse Federal Way March 16th.  I will also be at the Cabelas in Lacey noon to 4pm Saturday.  No clinic but stop by we can talk.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline AK2WA

• Pilgrim
If you around for the Puyallup Sportsman's Showi am putting on some seminars on turkey hunting.  Also keep your eye on the WDFW website for clinics for turkey hunting.  I am doing one in n March 30th at the Black Diamond Gun Club and one at Sportmans Wharehouse Federal Way March 16th.  I will also be at the Cabelas in Lacey noon to 4pm Saturday.  No clinic but stop by we can talk.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russ, I found the schedule for your seminars at the sportsman's show, I was planning to head down anyway, I'll do my best to make it for a seminar. Looks like nothing on the calendar on WDWF website but I will keep checking on it. Thank you for the resources.

I've only connected with one - and seen tons.

They are literally all over up there. Don't let the drive in get you too excited - on private you will see them in almost every field(it seems like) but once you hit public land its typical hunting. I think theres a lot of them that don't ever leave the fields. With that said, if you can find some public that borders some of those fields it can pay off. I know of one place that I always see turkeys in the guys yard and across the street is public... I've seen a TON of turkey up there but never been in the right spot at the right time(or nothing legal). Last year we were driving up and there were 8 or 9 hens running along with us in the road. Talk about frustrating.

Depending on when you go, you may or may not be able to get into some areas. Two years ago I could go almost all the way to a place I like to hunt on the opener - last year I couldn't even get 100 yards up the road due to deep snow.

I wish I could give you more advice, but honestly it would be the blind leading the blind. There are people on here that will chime in eventually that are much better turkey hunters than I'll ever be.

Good luck!

Yikes, sounds frustrating, but I guess that's public land hunting. I'm thinking I will be flexible enough to be able to hunt when the snow is less of an issue, guess we'll see how the rest of winter goes. Cheers.

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Success is the only option
Most of the birds won't be located deep in the woods or up high yet in April so biking in or backpacking a long ways would most likely put you past them in all likelihood. As it warms up and the snowline recedes the birds will start moving higher and further into the woods. Mid May is a better time to find them deeper in the woods for your preferred style. Otherwise plan on hunting public ground close to private land.
Gobblers only, all jakes must walk

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
my advice - buy a quality turkey call. skip the primos stuff. listen to some sound files and pick what you want.

https://www.johnsinclaircustomcalls.com/

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
my advice - buy a quality turkey call. skip the primos stuff. listen to some sound files and pick what you want.

:tup:

Also, a simple diaphragm and practice will call in nearly any bird you can find.  If you're serious about getting off the roads and backpacking in a couple miles to set up a small remote camp and get into turkeys, I have several spots for you to check out that will produce.  Send a PM if you're interested.

Offline AK2WA

• Pilgrim

:tup:

Also, a simple diaphragm and practice will call in nearly any bird you can find.  If you're serious about getting off the roads and backpacking in a couple miles to set up a small remote camp and get into turkeys, I have several spots for you to check out that will produce.  Send a PM if you're interested.

Based on budget constraints I may have to settle for the Primos stuff for now. I picked up a diaphragm call and have been practicing, hoping to pair that with a box or slate call and practice with those.

And thank you for the offer, sending you a PM.

Most of the birds won't be located deep in the woods or up high yet in April so biking in or backpacking a long ways would most likely put you past them in all likelihood. As it warms up and the snowline recedes the birds will start moving higher and further into the woods. Mid May is a better time to find them deeper in the woods for your preferred style. Otherwise plan on hunting public ground close to private land.

Great information to know thank you, may need to tweak my plans knowing this. Doubt I will be successful first time out so perhaps going farther back mid may will yield results.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Newbie Looking for Some Advice on Back/bikepack Spring Turkey Hunt in NE WA
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 03:09:03 PM »
Turkey Hunting in Wa state is a lot of fun. I would find a spot to camp that’s not where you plan on hunting. You do not need decoys to kill a bird, I have yet to do it and I am successful. For calls I would at least buy a Box call and a Pot call. Your shotgun needs to be patterned, I recommend using a Turkey choke and Turkey loads in 4, 5 or 6 shot. If interested in a spot in the NE corner shoot me a message and can help ya out. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
My suggestion is to look into the popular hunted areas and then hunt the fringe with less birds and hunters

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
Hit me up man, im in King county and would love to venture that way with ya this spring.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
I lived in Curlew for 17 years. Bicycle into the area between Tonasket Creek Rd and Long Alec Rd. You can bicycle and camp in there without seeing a soul. It's a big area, buy a cougar tag if possible. We used to go back there on our ATVs. Just make sure your camp is cattle proof.

Forgot to say, this is all gated off, so you will have NO vehicles except maybe a local on a quad, unless looking for cattle.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 06:42:52 AM by CAMPMEAT »
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Big game archer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
My suggestion is to look into the popular hunted areas and then hunt the fringe with less birds and hunters

:yeah: :yeah: Seriously, my most productive areas for calling toms are places where I only find a little bit of sign.

Offline AK2WA

• Pilgrim
Turkey Hunting in Wa state is a lot of fun. I would find a spot to camp that’s not where you plan on hunting. You do not need decoys to kill a bird, I have yet to do it and I am successful. For calls I would at least buy a Box call and a Pot call. Your shotgun needs to be patterned, I recommend using a Turkey choke and Turkey loads in 4, 5 or 6 shot. If interested in a spot in the NE corner shoot me a message and can help ya out. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the choke and the ammo, going to pattern in the next few weeks here. Pot call is coming in tomorrow so should have plenty of time to practice. I'll hold off on the decoy then, I've had a few others say the same as you. Sent you a PM.

Hit me up man, im in King county and would love to venture that way with ya this spring.

I'll shoot you a message a little closer to season so we can coordinate!

I lived in Curlew for 17 years. Bicycle into the area between Tonasket Creek Rd and Long Alec Rd. You can bicycle and camp in there without seeing a soul. It's a big area, buy a cougar tag if possible. We used to go back there on our ATVs. Just make sure your camp is cattle proof.

Forgot to say, this is all gated off, so you will have NO vehicles except maybe a local on a quad, unless looking for cattle.

Found that area on the map, good amount of public land looks like, found some possible areas to go. Thanks for the tip I appreciate it.

:yeah: :yeah: Seriously, my most productive areas for calling toms are places where I only find a little bit of sign.

Good to know, I'm all game for getting away from pressured areas and hunting the fringes.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]