collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The Last Alaskans  (Read 11470 times)

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
The Last Alaskans
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:19:43 PM »
The way you know this reality TV show is super fake is that they somehow survive hunting and fishing in Alaska without any KUIU, Sitka, First Lite, Kifaru etc.

Other than that its pretty great
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: The Last Alaskans
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 08:31:06 PM »
The way you know this reality TV show is super fake is that they somehow survive hunting and fishing in Alaska without any KUIU, Sitka, First Lite, Kifaru etc.

I use to like it, then the whiney old guy Bob Hart? The one that kept crashing his plain, just started driving me nuts  :bash:
I can't even hear that guys voice without wanting to turn the channel now.

The younger (newer) characters are interesting. I thought it odd, that in the early shows they would wait to the last day of moose season to hunt moose, when they food source for the year depended on getting a moose.
Call me food motivated, getting food would be my highest priority.  :dunno:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:06:05 PM »

I use to like it, then the whiney old guy Bob Hart? The one that kept crashing his plain, just started driving me nuts  :bash:
I can't even hear that guys voice without wanting to turn the channel now.

The younger (newer) characters are interesting. I thought it odd, that in the early shows they would wait to the last day of moose season to hunt moose, when they food source for the year depended on getting a moose.
Call me food motivated, getting food would be my highest priority.  :dunno:

Bob Hart died of cancer about a year and a half ago, so you won’t be hearing him on the show anymore. As I’ve made some friends in Fairbanks in recent years I’ve heard locals talk about Bob Hart and Heimo Korth as they are the real deal.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 09:57:23 PM »
The real deal for sure, I have met Daniel, he works as a part time pilot for Wright Air out of Fairbanks. We flew over his cabin and he told me about how he and his sister grew up there and Heimo was his closest neighbor. Very, very cool experiences up there. In my opinion its the only REAL reality show on TV.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 05:24:13 AM »
Love the show. Miss Bob Harte, hated to see him pass on. Most people could never make it on their own in those conditions. Bit long in the advertisements but they have to make their money some way.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 05:28:43 AM »
The show is great ! Heimo and Edna are super good people and Charlie is a hell of a kid  !

Offline dfresh96

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 06:12:08 AM »
I enjoy this show as it doesnt seem to be staged as much as others.
Go Hawks

Spot & Stalk

Trust ur Camo

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 08:23:51 AM »
Of all the shows I get, it is by far the best out there. :tup:   One thing it does show, our government should be told to BUT OUT!  They do more to destroy the environment, then they will ever protect!!

Seattle's homeless would probably fair better there then in Seattle! :chuckle: Bill Gates to the rescue!

The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 08:46:57 AM »
I enjoy this show as it doesnt seem to be staged as much as others.

Thats my thoughts too.

The wife and I watched the first season recently on Hulu as we do not have cable/dish. We did not know there were more seasons. We'll have to watch for Hulu to load more.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 10:34:29 AM »
One of my favorites!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 10:39:09 AM »
This is my favorite - but like all reality shows it's starting to wear thin. Too much introduced stuff now. Lots of new gear, boats, etc. But I will recommend reading the Last Frontiersman. About Heimo, written in 2005. I read it in 2 nights. Dude was/is legit.

Offline papaonthemountain

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Sunny Okanogan Country
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 12:07:56 PM »
A bit off subject, but concerning Heimo.  When working in Elfin Cove one of the clients was a pilot who lived in Fairbanks and knew Heimo from flying him/supplies into ANWR.  At the end of the fishing season the lodge owner, myself, and the pilot flew into ANWR on the Coleen River for a caribou bow hunt.  We happened to hit the migration in full force.  It was a matter of picking out a bull and trying to get in front of him. 
The pilot was not too ambitious nor picky in his quest.  He tied a plastic fence, which was just a couple feet high, to his airplane and strung it down the gravel bar landing strip.  He then set up under a wing in a comfortable camp chair.  Their curiously and perceived fear of jumping the low fence pulled them in the trap.
Anyway, at the end of the hunt the lodge owner and myself donated our meat to Heimo.  On the last flight out the plane was so loaded with meat for Heimo and camp gear that the passenger seat was taken out and my job was twofold.  One, pull stumps and debris out on the landing strip so no one else could land at "the pilot's spot".  Two, put the seat on my back and wade across the Coleen and trek to another landing spot.  He then picked me up after delivering to Heimo.
Always regret not meeting him, but later he did send me a wolverine pelt and 4 autographed books for my boys. 
You bet, I relive all the fond memories of that hunt when watching the tv episodes.  If I may say, I think it is an absolute travesty that the feds are doing away with such a unique lifestyle.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 12:15:58 PM »
Very cool story!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline CaNINE

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 03:39:41 PM »
One of the wife and mine's favorite shows.  There are so many people in our society that have no concept of the harsh realities of nature.  This show puts those realities front and center.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 04:08:53 PM »
I remember reading about Heimo in Field and Stream or some magazine like that over 30 years ago.  It was a very interesting story.

Offline Odell

• Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 06:06:40 PM »
A bit off subject, but concerning Heimo.  When working in Elfin Cove one of the clients was a pilot who lived in Fairbanks and knew Heimo from flying him/supplies into ANWR.  At the end of the fishing season the lodge owner, myself, and the pilot flew into ANWR on the Coleen River for a caribou bow hunt.  We happened to hit the migration in full force.  It was a matter of picking out a bull and trying to get in front of him. 
The pilot was not too ambitious nor picky in his quest.  He tied a plastic fence, which was just a couple feet high, to his airplane and strung it down the gravel bar landing strip.  He then set up under a wing in a comfortable camp chair.  Their curiously and perceived fear of jumping the low fence pulled them in the trap.
Anyway, at the end of the hunt the lodge owner and myself donated our meat to Heimo.  On the last flight out the plane was so loaded with meat for Heimo and camp gear that the passenger seat was taken out and my job was twofold.  One, pull stumps and debris out on the landing strip so no one else could land at "the pilot's spot".  Two, put the seat on my back and wade across the Coleen and trek to another landing spot.  He then picked me up after delivering to Heimo.
Always regret not meeting him, but later he did send me a wolverine pelt and 4 autographed books for my boys. 
You bet, I relive all the fond memories of that hunt when watching the tv episodes.  If I may say, I think it is an absolute travesty that the feds are doing away with such a unique lifestyle.
That is awesome! What a great story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 06:59:58 PM »

:tup:

Offline Odell

• Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 07:54:05 PM »
How do they keep enough fuel for snow machines, saws, boats, etc?

Offline Grit dog

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 10:00:36 PM »
Id never heard of or about Heimo and Edna, but their daughter Krin, who's on the show now worked for me up on the North Slope. She's the real deal, so I'm certain they are and that means the show is not staged like some of the other AK shows.
Krin was one of the best hands on the job and tough as nails and just a nice person. She put a lot of guys to shame when we were working at -30, -35deg and dudes were wimpering like babies and wouldn't come out of the break shack.

Offline Grit dog

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 10:23:53 PM »
Most of all I'm jealous of how those folks get to live.
I'm no grizzly Adams, but I'd sure the he___ like to be for a while!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 05:16:35 AM »
 :chuckle:
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 08:28:20 AM »
Its all flown in,
I have always wondered if trapping could actually pay for all of the air time that it takes to maintain that lifestyle.... Its not cheap.

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 08:56:04 AM »
Its all flown in,
I have always wondered if trapping could actually pay for all of the air time that it takes to maintain that lifestyle.... Its not cheap.

No. Watch all the "Alaskan Shows" and you will see the change in lifestyle once they start getting the network checks.   :twocents:
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 08:59:32 AM »
Its all flown in,

No. Watch all the "Alaskan Shows" and you will see the change in lifestyle once they start getting the network checks.   :twocents:
I don't watch the other shows... they are a joke.  Have you been to Homer? The Kilchers are 15 minutes from Safeway :)

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 02:58:14 AM »

Wat!?!? They’re makin it without lookin like the “Columbia sportswear crowd?” (Like we used to call em back in the day!)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 07:00:43 AM »
I enjoy the show, I'll watch it if it's on.  If someone wants to give them a new Sitka coat and boat motor, good on them.  Somebody has to pay the bills to get the show on the air.

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2019, 06:47:33 PM »
Its all flown in,

I don't watch the other shows... they are a joke.  Have you been to Homer? The Kilchers are 15 minutes from Safeway :)

If you watch all the Alaskan shows the equipment upgrades become apparent. Even if they weren't close to Safeway they could afford T Bones every night. The clan is worth millions!
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2019, 10:15:54 PM »
Just watched the episode after Bob Harte died...say what you want but he was the real deal too. Amazing what they are all able to accomplish up there...can't blame him for a little whining when he was battleing cancer...btw cancer Sucks!!!! RIP Bob :tup:

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 04:58:24 AM »
Time to catch up on the episodes, Eimo is catching beavers and wolves now.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 08:01:44 AM »
I think what makes some of the shows fake is the producers, not the people in the show.  After a few times of hearing how they will starve if they don't get their Sitka blacktail, but when they do it will feed the family for the year I get a bit bored and change it.  Great scenery though.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »
Your thinking Alaska frontier not Last Alaskans. Last Alaskans is far from any blacktail deer it's in the ANWR.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 03:34:08 PM »
Bob Hart gave his trapline to Charlie Jagow days before he died. That was cool!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 03:44:49 PM »
The real deal for sure, I have met Daniel, he works as a part time pilot for Wright Air out of Fairbanks. We flew over his cabin and he told me about how he and his sister grew up there and Heimo was his closest neighbor. Very, very cool experiences up there. In my opinion its the only REAL reality show on TV.

I've flown with Wright Air on five trips into ANWR, great people.   I got a smile seeing the bush pilot I flew with in the background a few times. 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 05:22:17 PM »
Your thinking Alaska frontier not Last Alaskans. Last Alaskans is far from any blacktail deer it's in the ANWR.

True to some degree.  The producers are always trying to make a dramatic story when the real story and scenery would be enough.  Last Alaskans is somewhat better, but if you can't see the guy's breath, it's probably not 40 below.  This one is the best of the bunch by far.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 08:34:45 PM »
Is that an old savage model 24 Charlie has?
Go hawks

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2019, 09:39:49 PM »

I've flown with Wright Air on five trips into ANWR, great people.   I got a smile seeing the bush pilot I flew with in the background a few times. 

Yep, I've flown in that plane.... great people... spendy flight :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]