collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Are you in favor of this bill?

Yes
No

Author Topic: SB 5099 Would Require DNR to Establish Target Shooting Areas on DNR Lands  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: SB 5099 Would Require DNR to Establish Target Shooting Areas on DNR Lands
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 10:48:40 PM »
I live in Skagit county and I'll guess that the requirement has something to do with the Pitt off Muddy Creek  that is an unofficial shooting range that has had issues. There are funds available for shooting ranges from the 3$ from each conceild carry license. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 11:01:11 PM »
There’s a bunch of DNR land by me, none of which is open to shooting mostly because slobs with guns couldn’t clean up after themselves. If this means more land would be open to shooting, where do I sign?

Side note. I think some people just jump to this being bad. Not sure that’s the case here. Slow down and read.
I am right here,I did read it.Like i said at a glance(i read the whole thing)It's not clear what it all means.2nd i'm not sure it really matters what the public votes on this yes or no the DNR has authority to regulate this with or without our vote.Meaning if they want it closed they can,If they want to build it but don't want to pay for it they wont unless funding from somewhere comes into play to pay.
IF THIS MEANS?What if it means more than just that?Did you read it?where is the clarification that some of us are not seeing?Including you.Or was that a mistake to post "IF IT MEANS"?

"IF and PROBABLY" are not words to show that you read and understand what is being proposed.

Lets all vote yes and see whats in it after it passes.   :chuckle:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:23:49 PM by Oh Mah »
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 12:51:18 AM »
I have never agreed with oh mah before, but it is easy to skeptical of this bill.
It seems ripe to be followed with a bill that says no target shooting on dnr land in non designated areas.
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 02:17:14 AM »
Tough issue, on one hand slobs are trashing the state and ruining opportunity for good citizens, the slobs are causing trouble in all corners of the state, on the other hand I understand people not trusting government regarding shooting opportunities in WA. Perhaps if there was stronger language assuring shooting opportunities?

(3) The department must work with interested stakeholders to evaluate and designate additional recreational target shooting areas on department-managed lands in any county where state lands have been closed to recreational shooting.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 06:50:00 AM »
There’s a bunch of DNR land by me, none of which is open to shooting mostly because slobs with guns couldn’t clean up after themselves. If this means more land would be open to shooting, where do I sign?

Side note. I think some people just jump to this being bad. Not sure that’s the case here. Slow down and read.
I am right here,I did read it.Like i said at a glance(i read the whole thing)It's not clear what it all means.2nd i'm not sure it really matters what the public votes on this yes or no the DNR has authority to regulate this with or without our vote.Meaning if they want it closed they can,If they want to build it but don't want to pay for it they wont unless funding from somewhere comes into play to pay.
IF THIS MEANS?What if it means more than just that?Did you read it?where is the clarification that some of us are not seeing?Including you.Or was that a mistake to post "IF IT MEANS"?

"IF and PROBABLY" are not words to show that you read and understand what is being proposed.

Lets all vote yes and see whats in it after it passes.   :chuckle:
I'm not seeing where it's not simple. It's about as simple as it can get.

1- DNR must designate target shooting areas
2- Of those areas designated at least one area must be in Skagit Couny and one must be on the Tahuya State Forest.

This is actually protecting our ability to target shoot on DNR lands. As the law currently stands DNR could wake up tomorrow and impose a statewide ban on target shooting on DNR lands.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 07:34:10 AM »
It seems ripe to be followed with a bill that says no target shooting on dnr land in non designated areas.

I agree. I could definitely see that happening. And I don't want to shoot in a designated area. I like to find spots in remote areas where I can shoot all by myself.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 07:41:15 AM »

I agree. I could definitely see that happening. And I don't want to shoot in a designated area. I like to find spots in remote areas where I can shoot all by myself.
DNR could also close off the entire state right now to target shooting. There is no law that says DNR must allow target shooting. This bill is a step towards that.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 06:15:09 PM »

All the DNR land near me is closed to shooting because of slobs now as it is. If they want to close it, they just close it. I can go to national forest and shoot, but that’s a long ways away compared to DNR.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 06:37:40 PM »
Tough issue, on one hand slobs are trashing the state and ruining opportunity for good citizens, the slobs are causing trouble in all corners of the state, on the other hand I understand people not trusting government regarding shooting opportunities in WA. Perhaps if there was stronger language assuring shooting opportunities?

(3) The department must work with interested stakeholders to evaluate and designate additional recreational target shooting areas on department-managed lands in any county where state lands have been closed to recreational shooting.

A bill allowing shooting on all DNR Lands and establishing target shooting areas is what is needed. Slobs irritate me to no end but we all give them $35 for Discovery Passes. Maybe they can actually do something worthwhile with some of the money.. clean up.  :twocents:
If your daughter is raped and killed by an illegal alien, thank a democrat!

Jay Inslee & Joe Biden; the choices for low IQ, wimpy beta males.

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 10:25:07 PM »
I'm sorry but every time I read the word "designate" it makes me think that the non designated spots will be shut down. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe im just skeptical because we are the ones who always have to give up freedoms.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 11:23:54 PM »

A bill allowing shooting on all DNR Lands and establishing target shooting areas is what is needed. Slobs irritate me to no end but we all give them $35 for Discovery Passes. Maybe they can actually do something worthwhile with some of the money.. clean up.  :twocents:

I can tell you this from participating on the Governors Parks & Recreation Task Force, I brought up cleaning state lands, nobody else on the Task Force seemed interested, the priority is putting the money towards funding State Parks.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »

I can tell you this from participating on the Governors Parks & Recreation Task Force, I brought up cleaning state lands, nobody else on the Task Force seemed interested, the priority is putting the money towards funding State Parks.

Sadly it shows.. I pick up trash on public lands as part of my outings but it's a small dent in the problem.
If your daughter is raped and killed by an illegal alien, thank a democrat!

Jay Inslee & Joe Biden; the choices for low IQ, wimpy beta males.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 12:23:35 PM »
Interesting, not sure about this one.  I personally wouldn’t take my loved ones to a public range in the woods.  Just don’t feel safe at all, last time I went up to greenwater these gangsta looking guys were just emptying their 30 rd clips for fun, no targets at all.  After the second time of their shells hitting my cousins truck, we left.  In a perfect world, I’d vote yes 100%, but I’m not sure about voting to force DNR to have designated garbage pits in the woods?  :dunno: 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 12:34:12 PM »
What point is this if there is no one to enforce the rules?
Sure lets pass another law.  It always works.

Here is what I think should happen:
1. Fund more DNR enforcement officers.  Understaffed is an understatement for this branch of DNR. 
2. Request officer input on changes to RCW and WAC to control the unsafe firearm use and littering on DNR lands.  People can comment one way or the other on proposed changes. 

I think they would have to triple staffing to even make their presence known.  However,  after seeing the results of serious emphasis patrols by other agencies. Things change for the better.  Word travels quick.  Peoples behavior changes real quick.   

I spend a lot of time on private, federal, and state lands.  Sadly our public lands are almost lawless.  Most do not expect to see any enforcement officer from any agency in many areas.

I am not saying that the DNR officers are not doing their job.  Everyone I have met while recreating or through work has been top notch.  When there is only one officer for a vast area there is only so much they can do.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:57:29 PM by dreamunelk »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr