collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 2832 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Where to start?
« on: January 20, 2019, 02:27:03 PM »
Got myself a 209x.50 cal barrel for my TC Encore. Took it to the range today. I didn’t really shoot for any groups. Really just got it to the point where I could hit what I was aiming for and then realized I didn’t bring a wrench to remove the breech plug to clean it so after 8 shots I quit shooting it. I was shooting the TC 250 grain Shock Wave sabots in front of 100 grains of loose 777 and cci shotgun primers. Really didn’t know where to start and figured this wouldn’t kill me. Is there a reference or some sort of standard? I know I can load to 150 grains of powder but doesn’t seem like anyone does. By the way. Tons of fun. I can see myself really getting into shooting these things.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 02:39:31 PM »
What site you using?  I put a willams peep on mine and like it.  Sabotloader is the man on this subject.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »
I put the Williams FP on it. I need to upgrade the front sight next.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 03:32:29 PM »
I had to add a different front site after installing the Willams, my front wouldn’t raise high enough, couldn’t hit crap.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 04:13:56 PM »
Now that you have it shooting.....work with load you have.  Set up a target at 25 yards and group 3 shots.  If it groups well then back up to 50 yards and do it again.  If your group is opening up or not satisfactory to you, then change the powder load.  Try 90 grains or 110 grains....ect.  You can always try differnet sabots, bullets, etc until you find what that gun likes. 

Shooting muzzleloaders is a ton of fun.  I shoot 250 and 300 grain shock wave's and have killed deer and elk with great success.  Have fun and happy hunting. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 04:28:35 PM »
That’s what I was wondering. Do I start at close range, etc. Thanks Johnny.

Offline reelamin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 09:14:06 AM »
Welcome to a world of frustration and enjoyment.   I never expected muzzle loaders to be so picky and selective in what they shoot best.   Everyone has their opinion and you just need to find the one that works for you.  Lots of information on here with some searching and reading threads.   For me shooting less than 100yds for accuracy/load testing is a waste of money and time.  You will clearly see the dispersion at longer distance and that is what you need.   Once I have it on paper close enough I move out to 100.  If I need a larger backer then I just use one.  The key is to have a sighting system that allows for your eyes and expectations.  I personally mount a scope for load development because it allows the best precision and consistency for me.  Once I find the load then I go to my Iron sights to sight in and practice.

Load Development:  I buy about as many different bullet/sabot/powder combinations as I can to try.  I go to the best accuracy at the maximum velocity I can get.  I track the data and then adjust from there constantly making small changes to the most accurate/fast loads.  I will give up .5" group to gain 200fps.  You will never find the basis used to determine maximum loads with any powder in any gun.  They just throw a number out and say that is maximum.  I have tried and the data is not there....well it is there but they wont share it.   But with smokeless powder...data all over the place and purposely available.   I have loaded well past the 150gr "maximum" but to each their own on what is max.  If you have concerns and are not comfortable then stay at that level. 

Sights:  I like the Williams but my factory front SUCKS BALLS on my Knight for shooting anything past 75yards.  The fiber optic is a huge blob and no precision is available with it.  That being said it worked just fine with my FP on adjustment.   

Swab between shots for sure with windex.  I dont swab between every shot with BH209 but I do with other powders. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 09:46:27 AM »
Welcome to a world of frustration and enjoyment.   I never expected muzzle loaders to be so picky and selective in what they shoot best.   Everyone has their opinion and you just need to find the one that works for you.  Lots of information on here with some searching and reading threads.   For me shooting less than 100yds for accuracy/load testing is a waste of money and time.  You will clearly see the dispersion at longer distance and that is what you need.   Once I have it on paper close enough I move out to 100.  If I need a larger backer then I just use one.  The key is to have a sighting system that allows for your eyes and expectations.  I personally mount a scope for load development because it allows the best precision and consistency for me.  Once I find the load then I go to my Iron sights to sight in and practice.

Load Development:  I buy about as many different bullet/sabot/powder combinations as I can to try.  I go to the best accuracy at the maximum velocity I can get.  I track the data and then adjust from there constantly making small changes to the most accurate/fast loads.  I will give up .5" group to gain 200fps.  You will never find the basis used to determine maximum loads with any powder in any gun.  They just throw a number out and say that is maximum.  I have tried and the data is not there....well it is there but they wont share it.   But with smokeless powder...data all over the place and purposely available.   I have loaded well past the 150gr "maximum" but to each their own on what is max.  If you have concerns and are not comfortable then stay at that level. 

Sights:  I like the Williams but my factory front SUCKS BALLS on my Knight for shooting anything past 75yards.  The fiber optic is a huge blob and no precision is available with it.  That being said it worked just fine with my FP on adjustment.   

Swab between shots for sure with windex.  I dont swab between every shot with BH209 but I do with other powders.

Thanks. Good stuff.

What front sight did you go with?

I would only shoot at short range in the initial stages of getting on paper and such although I think I’m on paper at a minimum at this point.

I don’t have any crazy expectations as far as range goes.  I’d like to be able to shoot to 150 yards if possible but I’d also want to get closer as often as possible.  That’s part of the fun of it.

Thanks!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 10:21:13 AM »
You could just buy the best of the West muzzleloader shooting system, it’s only 6,000 dollars, yes American!  Shoots out to 800 yards! 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 10:39:15 AM »
I’ve owned my Encore for close to 15 or so years and am really excited to be able to try something new with it. Might just leave it in Muzzleloader formation and hunt other stuff with my bolt action rifles.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 11:10:38 AM »
I’ve owned my Encore for close to 15 or so years and am really excited to be able to try something new with it. Might just leave it in Muzzleloader formation and hunt other stuff with my bolt action rifles.
pretty cool guns, I used to have one, solid!!

Offline reelamin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 07:52:21 PM »

Thanks. Good stuff.

What front sight did you go with?

I would only shoot at short range in the initial stages of getting on paper and such although I think I’m on paper at a minimum at this point.

I don’t have any crazy expectations as far as range goes.  I’d like to be able to shoot to 150 yards if possible but I’d also want to get closer as often as possible.  That’s part of the fun of it.

I agree on getting closer, but I also want to be able to kill one if I can't get any closer.   Letting one walk because it is out of range is perfect, but If I can kill one I don't want to let it go.  I went with the Lyman Globe 17 and Shaver inserts.   I have not installed it as I am working on a full bore project currently.  I will end up with a muzzle brake after load development is done.

Accuracy wise the gun is capable easily of 150yds, its just what you want out of it.  My goal is Elk, and if it will kill an elk it will kill 5 deer at once with the same shot.  My Big Horn with Sabot's at the velocity I wanted would only do about 1.5" and that is with optics.  Put on my factory front and FP rear it went to 3" at 100yds.  Then the front sight was completely worthless past 200 and marginal at best even at 200. 

Good luck and update what you do as it will help others!

Thanks!
[/quote]

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]