collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone hunt snowshoe hares?  (Read 5971 times)

Offline EatAlltheAnimals

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
    • facebook.com/devinkellyrealtor
    • Seattle Realtor
Anyone hunt snowshoe hares?
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:51:58 PM »
Ok the interest of extending my hunting season a bit longer, I want to hunt snowshoe hares. I went with a few buddies up to Toutle mountain this weekend to see if we could get on any and came up empty. Didn’t see any rabbit sign but did spook a doe and see lots of other sign.

We were looking around 2500-3000’ elevation range.

Any snowshoe hunters that can offer any tips? When I called the WDFW biologist for the area, he said he hadn’t heard of anyone hunting snowshoes.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Late-Onset Hunter and loving every minute of it.
Seattle-area REALTOR

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Anyone hunt snowshoe hares?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »
Man my son killed one a couple years ago and I crookpotted it with spuds and cream of mushroom soup. It was horrible. And I burped it up for two days.
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline EatAlltheAnimals

• Tracker
    • Seattle Realtor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 05:24:01 PM »
Man my son killed one a couple years ago and I crookpotted it with spuds and cream of mushroom soup. It was horrible. And I burped it up for two days.
Really? That bad? Sorry to hear.

Seattle-area REALTOR

Offline WA hunter14

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 05:27:35 PM »
We have absolutely tons of snowshoes here about 3000ft is the lowest elevation.  They are extremely spooky and its almost impossible to get a shot on one. The only ones ive killed were burning brush piles and they would run out of the pile when it got smokey.

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »
I do know a few guys that actually go after them sometimes and they drive around about 4000ft elevation and spotlight them and shoot them with shotguns. Dont know exactly how,  they might see one run across the road and try and get after it or maybe they just shoot them from the pickup witch is obviously illegal.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 05:51:52 PM »
Son got one long time ago - pan fried in teriaki sauce - he loved it.  They are tough to find.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 05:59:35 PM »
I have killed quite a few with my recurve while Elk hunting in central Idaho, September and they were all great eating. I have only killed 2 in WA and both were in October at about 5000' both were good.

I would get on some shoes and get up between 3500' and 4500' and cover some ground

The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 06:07:36 PM »
I haven't figured out how to hunt them without dogs other than road hunting at dusk before the snow flies.   
Once the snow flies and you can't drive the roads good luck!

I've tried snowshoeing and I'm just not keen enough to pick them out before they bolt.

Sure I coulda got one here and there and have, got some with bows too, but to hunt them effectively enough to bring home decent bags..nope!

If you want dog advice there's a few beaglers on here, or have previous experience doing it.

Offline EatAlltheAnimals

• Tracker
    • Seattle Realtor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 07:48:59 AM »
I do know a few guys that actually go after them sometimes and they drive around about 4000ft elevation and spotlight them and shoot them with shotguns.

Thanks, I think my elevation was too low ok the first trip. It just didn’t seem like the right kinda country.

Seattle-area REALTOR

Offline EatAlltheAnimals

• Tracker
    • Seattle Realtor
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 07:49:50 AM »
I have killed quite a few with my recurve while Elk hunting in central Idaho, September and they were all great eating. I have only killed 2 in WA and both were in October at about 5000' both were good.

I would get on some shoes and get up between 3500' and 4500' and cover some ground

Thanks. I was expecting snow on my first trip but apparently we were to low in elevation. Up the mountain I go. :tup:

Seattle-area REALTOR

Offline KP-Skagit

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 08:57:50 AM »
I had a good buddy who hunted them religiously in Alaska. He targeted low elevation swamp lands in the snow. The hares were stripping bark on willow scrub. They are a tricky little animal to see and can run about 20 mph...

Here in WA I have gotten into them in similar areas though at higher elevation (3000 to 4000 FT). Look for patches of scrubby deciduous trees (willows) near springs and they may be in there. In the snow also pay attention to tracks.

In terms of eating I have eaten plenty and find them to be excellent. Just remember, like a big ole blue grouse a big snowshoe will be some of the toughest meat around.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 12:33:53 PM »
I've hunted them in NH with beagles and shot them incidental to deer hunting there too.  Hunted them quite a bit in the Snowy Range west of Laramie when I was in college, and statewide incidental to big game.  Look for dense willow patches surrounded by conifers.  We did well without dogs with 2-3 guys stillhunting through with shotguns and #4-6 lead, open chokes - look for the black eye.  We would get about half before they ran seeing the eye, the rest when they flushed from one of us toward another. 

In Chelan County I don't see many below around 3,500-3,800'.  I've considered snowshoeing for them but haven't.

I think they are better than cottontails, which I also really like. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline EatAlltheAnimals

• Tracker
    • Seattle Realtor
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 01:03:14 PM »
I had a good buddy who hunted them religiously in Alaska. He targeted low elevation swamp lands in the snow. The hares were stripping bark on willow scrub. They are a tricky little animal to see and can run about 20 mph...

Here in WA I have gotten into them in similar areas though at higher elevation (3000 to 4000 FT). Look for patches of scrubby deciduous trees (willows) near springs and they may be in there. In the snow also pay attention to tracks.

In terms of eating I have eaten plenty and find them to be excellent. Just remember, like a big ole blue grouse a big snowshoe will be some of the toughest meat around.

Thanks KP, I think I’ll be making a trip to the mountains soon. Will keep my eye out for those willows.

Seattle-area REALTOR

Offline EatAlltheAnimals

• Tracker
    • Seattle Realtor
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 01:04:06 PM »
I've hunted them in NH with beagles and shot them incidental to deer hunting there too.  Hunted them quite a bit in the Snowy Range west of Laramie when I was in college, and statewide incidental to big game.  Look for dense willow patches surrounded by conifers.  We did well without dogs with 2-3 guys stillhunting through with shotguns and #4-6 lead, open chokes - look for the black eye.  We would get about half before they ran seeing the eye, the rest when they flushed from one of us toward another. 

In Chelan County I don't see many below around 3,500-3,800'.  I've considered snowshoeing for them but haven't.

I think they are better than cottontails, which I also really like.

Well, I have the right shotgun setup, now just need to go to higher elevation. Thanks!

Seattle-area REALTOR

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 05:19:00 PM »
I hunted them a lot in WI and MN.  We'd hunt them after a fresh snow and follow a track till we jumped one then the guy with the shotgun would stay there and usually me with a rifle would get on the track and they would circle back to where they were jumped and the shotgunner would get some nice shots, not unlike hunting them with beagles but I was the beagle.  Quite often I was able to spot one ahead and make a shot with the rifle.  We were usually on XC backcountry skis.  We loved them stewed with onions and served over dumplings with sweet/sour red cabbage on the side.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1