collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Game Plan 2019 - Episode #1  (Read 899 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Game Plan 2019 - Episode #1
« on: January 22, 2019, 02:05:57 PM »
22 September, early morning on a side hill in (insert elk state). You've worked in close to a bull with cows...within 80 yards. You've dogged these buggers for 1/4 to 1/2 a mile uphill in some pretty steep terrain, off to one side, as the thermals are coming down mid-morning, in an attempt to remain undetected by the multiple noses in the group. The bull had responded to your locater bugle a few times earlier with menacing challenge bugles and grunts warning you to stay away. For the last 25 minutes, you've kept your mouth shut (not a peep on your diaphragm) as you've determined he (the bull) or the lead cow is moving the herd up the side hill away from you and to the bedding area. The big guy has stopped a few times and knocked the snot out of some innocent trees. Let's say it's 0840. As you move fast when it's open, walk on elk trails, and crawl in the thick stuff to get a bit closer, you detect movement above you... to the right... in the direction of where you think the bull and cows may be slowing to bed. It's a cow and she has locked eyes on your movement. You freeze, knowing she has seen your movement, but you're in cover so she really is not too sure what you are. The cow chirps a muffled “bark” at you no more than 30 yards away, turns and looks over her right shoulder uphill in the direction of the herd, and then looks back at you. You're pinned down for the most part. What should you do? Geez, I've never been here before.

I know it's tough to answer without being there and knowing all the variables but again, it's just a scenario to offer suggestions and share ideas. Back on topic.... You're close to the herd with a bull/cows and a cow (perhaps a sentry) has kind of pinned you down. What should you do with the information provided to maximize your chances of bringing an elk home for dinner? Stick n' string season; bull tag only area.

Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Game Plan 2019 - Episode #1
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 02:10:58 PM »
Bummer, last sentence ruled out my obvious answer.  I would do a cow chirp, but you are busted and she is very likely going to blow up the herd.  Sit still and hope you are extremely lucky and she walks off.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Re: Game Plan 2019 - Episode #1
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:51:09 PM »
I'd Rip a challenge bugle right at them , that being said if you heard the bark its most likely all for not shoulda hooked in front of them quicker and played cow in estrus
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]