collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Raising Sheep ( lambs for 4H )  (Read 11898 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Raising Sheep ( lambs for 4H )
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 07:40:46 PM »
Awesome!!!!!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 07:33:07 PM »
    Ok final update.  Yesterday was the Sportsman class of the show  (80% person 20% animal ). Goats went 1st and took 3 1/2 hrs ( last year same # of goats was about 1hr45min). She stared getting her sheep ready @ about 1hr in on the goats. By the time it was her weight class the sheep was restless and over the whole thing , It broke free from her and ran around the ring a couple times.  My daughter stayed cool and finally caught it . Answered the Q and A perfectly.  Wound up in 4th place . I believe she would have took 3rd ,  maybe reserve grand champion  . Anyway me and mom are super proud of her and everthing she has done in her 1st year .
    Today was auction day and she held her cool in the ring ( even knowing the sheep weren't coming home ). Wound up getting $3.75 a lbs for 1 and $3.50 for the other. After 4% to the auction and the $150 a friend gave her because he wouldn't be able to bid  she should pocket around 1k ( could be more not sure if anyone else gave her any add ons at the auction ).
   When it was time to say goodbuy is when the emotions hit ( I held my cool until she made eye contact with me then I think I got some dust in my eyes and had to put on my sunglasses  ). Gave her a big hug and told her how proud I was of her and  told her she gave those lambs the best life they could have led and showed them so much love . She agreed , and walked away head held high. Ready to do it again next year  .
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 07:52:58 PM »
Congrats to your daughter.  4-H is such a great learning experience for kids. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 10:11:07 PM »
Awesome!
Man that’s a great end to the year. It had to be hard for her but she powered through and got it done. Way to go, kid!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 10:23:09 PM »
That's great, congrats to her!

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 08:35:05 AM »
As a small time farmer these are the best stories and lessons.  The future of ag is in sons and daughters like yours and understanding the work, joy and sacrifice lessons learned early will help them in the future.  Hopefully her project was profitable and remember to save for the next one!

Auction and harvest days are hard but we do our best to see them happy, safe and well-raised until it is time for them to sustain us.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2019, 09:59:18 AM »
Thanks for the update, I can see why you guys were so proud.  Awesome job to all of you!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 11:19:45 AM »
Awesome. I did 4-h for 10 years. Started with market lambs and moved up to hogs and beef cattle as I got bigger and could handle them a little better. I always had the most fun with pigs. They’re hilarious. Cows are fun as well. Sheep irritated me a bit, but we had about 100 of them so I guess that’s just how it goes.

Keep it up! Gets the business juices flowing and helps develop responsibility and a great start to a savings account!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2019, 08:43:43 PM »
If they happen to stick with ag options later have them check out all of the scholarships for ag students.  There is a bunch.  Good job!!

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2019, 09:53:17 PM »
That's awesome!
  Both of my kids were very active in 4H and FFA and both are doing great as adults and working in fields related. My oldest just got a letter from a FFA student this weekend where she is giving back, any of the kids who an showing an animal and asks gets an add on from her.  :tup:

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2019, 06:39:05 AM »
It was good to see you there Allen! Your daughter did a great job, you’d have never guessed it was her first year! We are excited that our oldest daughter can finally show a market animal there next year and will be showing 2 wether goats.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2019, 08:10:15 AM »
4-H is excellent! Wish I would have seen this post earlier. My two kids show lambs as well. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions in the future. Seems as though you have it figured out pretty well! What fair were you guys at? Congratulations on a good fair/show.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2019, 08:39:29 AM »
We still have a month to go for our fair.  My kid is fully involved in 4-H but hasn't jumped in to the youth livestock show/sale yet. She says next year she'll do a market rabbit. We'll see how that goes. Some of you guys should come over to Monroe for next year's show. It's a ton of fun.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2019, 03:41:10 PM »
It was good to see you there Allen! Your daughter did a great job, you’d have never guessed it was her first year! We are excited that our oldest daughter can finally show a market animal there next year and will be showing 2 wether goats.
You to Micheal , I think she did well , until her lamb got wild , then i could tell she was getting flustered. Shes already talking about what she's doing different next year . And wants to raise breeder sheep   :yike: . And now my 6 ( 7 next fair time ) wants to show a pygmy goat  :chuckle: .
 Jackelope  might take you up on that.  Would be cool to see what is done differently .
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
Raising Sheep ( lambs for 4H )
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2019, 08:04:16 PM »
Here’s all the info for this year’s show. The only hard part is you’d have to be here for the mandatory meeting. I heard you can have an “agent” present for the exhibitor. Not sure. I’ll see Wednesday night how that works maybe.  All I know now is there are 21 kids with rabbits at the show which is 3x more than last year.

https://www.evergreenfair.org/DocumentCenter/View/1525/Livestock-Show-Sale-book?bidId=

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal