collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kifaru amr question  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Commando

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Kifaru amr question
« on: January 30, 2019, 05:08:57 PM »
I am going to get a new pack really soon. I have a kifaru late season and love it but want something bigger for longer trips. I’ve got it narrowed down to the exo pack or the kifaru amr. I’d prefer to stay with kifaru. My question is can you get the amr to have a meat shelf like the exo does or even the kifaru reckoning? Maybe put the cargo panel between the pack and frame? Thanks

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Kifaru amr question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 05:18:11 PM »
Where it attaches to the bottom of the frame that is basically the bottom of what you would call the meat shelf putting the meat between frame and bag
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 05:32:21 PM »
You could just use the bottom of the pack connection to the frame as suggested, or if you had to absolutely have a load sling, I would use a Grab it attached directly to the frame and the pack over it. A cargo panel would be too much I think- and unnecessary.
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 05:34:10 PM »
The AMR doesnt have a meat shelf but you can leave the bottom of the bag connected to the frame and detach the top of the bag from the frame and unbuckle the 2 top side buckles . This is a wedge you can put meat into then re-buckle and cinch the sides.

The Crater or Cavern may suit you better because they both have an integrated meat shelf, side and top access zippers and a fold over snow collar. Things the AMR is lacking.

I had the AMR for a year and really liked the bag because the back pockets were easy to access, compressed well for a day pack, bottom access was relatively easy and it was light. My main complaints about the bag were that the snow collar didnt  fold-over or have attachments for a medium belt pouch/organizer, If I wanted a spotting scope pocket it was just something extra to add to the pack, and I wanted more vertical access in the pack when it was full.

Between the AMR and the Fulcrum I haven't used a meat shelf, meat just goes in the bag.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 05:47:26 PM »
Just drop meat in a dry bag or garbage bag in the main pack.  Why add a step of messing with the crame/bag separation.  All it does is extend the load farther off of your center.  The AMR is a big bag and will fit more than you can carry.  Its a great bag :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Commando

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 06:31:38 PM »
Thanks everyone. I wanted to know cause I really like the idea of meat being carried on the shelf idea. Seems in a way cleaner. Pretty sure I’ll be getting the amr instead of the exo

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »
Only downside is lack of access to middle of main bag. However, if you're decent at packing you wont be affected by that. Just make sure your needed items are on top or in outside pockets.

And yeah it's a monster bag and I always put meat inside it
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 07:00:14 PM »
Thanks everyone. I wanted to know cause I really like the idea of meat being carried on the shelf idea. Seems in a way cleaner. Pretty sure I’ll be getting the amr instead of the exo
IMO there’s nothing cleaner than a dry bag inside the main bag for hauling meat.
Outside the bag and without a dry bag you would end up with blood all over and down your back and legs. Just seems pointless to take the bag off the frame when you could just put the meat inside.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 07:34:43 PM »
IMO there’s nothing cleaner than a dry bag inside the main bag for hauling meat.
Outside the bag and without a dry bag you would end up with blood all over and down your back and legs. Just seems pointless to take the bag off the frame when you could just put the meat inside.
right! If it's not bagged, its gonna get you and your bag/gear bloody.  Meat shelf is just a pointless added step and imo makes the pack ride worse due to the bag being farther off your back.  The term "monkey on your back" comes to mind
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »
IMO, the coating on the inside of my Kifaru bag does a good job of repelling the blood that seeps through my T.A.G. bags and wipes out easily. Never had an issue of blood ruining any backpack bag. Just clean the bag in a reasonable time after getting it bloody. I've also used a large plastic contractor bag, open at the top, for short hauls on cooler days. I don't prefer to have meat in a plastic bag for any length of time.  Stick your head in one of those bags for a minute and think about those fumes soaking into your meat! :yike:

Agree with Karl about weight distribution associated with a meat shelf.  I also don't haul much "camp" and meat in the same load because its too much for my already-surgically-altered discs.  I'll make more trips rather than overload my spine.  Wish I had headed that advice when I was younger!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 06:30:26 PM »
So camp, mule deer, cape, and head shouldn't be considered a one loader  :chuckle:

Offline Commando

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 06:04:19 PM »
Well after talking to kifaru I decided to not go with the Amr. Ended up getting the Muskeg 5000 with the new lite frame. Got a few new pullouts and extras with it. Now the wait begins...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal