collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Clark County on 1639  (Read 3079 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Clark County on 1639
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 02:51:01 PM »
Remember the outrage on this board when the police refuse to enforce laws on drugs, immigration status without probable cause and homelessness, among other examples. If the police were in the wrong then for not following state law, why are they wrong now for following state law?
When the people vote in a unconstitutional law. I believe that it is unconstitutional to inforce it.

Who said it was unconstitutional?  Court challenges to that effect are nowhere to be seen. Now that it has been law for a month there has been time to get this to court.

I don't think there has been time t get it to court. I may be wrong but doesn't somebody have to be charged with an I1639 crime before it can be challenged?
I believe it is being challenged in the courts. I will try to find a link.
The part of the law that has already kicked in violates the rights of 18 to 21 year old people to purchase firearms. I think that is in litigation.
I believe the ballot initiative itself did not meet the requirements of the laws that regulate the initiative process, but a liberal judge let it go on the ballot anyway. If it had been a initiative that Tim Eyman had brought to try to put the brakes on our tax and spend legislative body, I believe it would have been thrown out.  :twocents:
 :bash:

:yeah:

It never should have made it on the ballot to begin with and therein lies the problem.  If the initiative screening process is broken (injunctions, lawsuits etc)  then literally anything could be put to the voters, and if its a FOTM issue..... it'll pass!   'cause people are st000pid!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 04:49:43 PM »
Same could be said for legislature.  The system is designed to work like this, separation of powers.  If someone feels injured by a law, they take it up with the courts who are the only ones who can issue opinions on what is constitutional and what is not.  By design, they are the only ones that determine if something complies with the constitution or not.  My opinion doesn't matter, neither does the Sheriff or any of the rest of us jokers.

I'm not sure you really want some committee in Olympia deciding what initiatives should be on the ballot.  The process is designed so the people can work around them and letting them control that spigot would defeat the whole process.

Offline 700xcr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 05:24:17 PM »
Actually we need an electoral votes. That way all counties are accounted for all votes. Not just one or two counties getting the majority of votes on these initiatives initiative.
Nothing like a Remington model 700xcr.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 06:07:53 PM »
Actually we need an electoral votes. That way all counties are accounted for all votes. Not just one or two counties getting the majority of votes on these initiatives initiative.

Every registered voter gets one vote.  I don't like the outcome, but that is what the majority of people in the state wanted.  It's also why I am looking at moving to another state.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]